T5 inspired prototype, another one OK?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Mar 2, 2013.

1. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Before I start posting here, I wanted to check if it is Ok to start another T5 inspired thread. I acknowledge this is a Telecaster forum.

While I am collecting all pieces for my first Tele build, and waiting for the paint to cure on my build from last year, I started on T5 prototype –

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-hom...maple-hollow-body-les-paul-4.html#post4285039

It is all Boysie’s fault :lol:- I mean he gets all the credit.

Is it OK, is there interest on another T5 proto type?

ghostchord likes this.
  2. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

That would be nice,can not wait to see how this is going to turn out.:D

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

My number 1 guitar is my Fender '52 RI Telecaster and so far I've built 2 Tele inspired guitars and hopefully will start another one mid-year. However, I've built 8 others including 3 Les Pauls and 3 resonators and I am currently well into my first 'proper' acoustic build, based on the Martin OM.
    The more I see of other builds, the more I learn and the more I get inspired.
    So, as far as I'm concerned, I say BRING IT ON!
    BTW, there is another T5 inspired build currently on this forum that you may get some very helpful tips from.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

Build whatever you want here in the Depot. There aren't any enforced rules about them all being Tele style bodies.

crazydave911 and fenderchamp like this.
  5. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

Strict rules for builds are reserved for the challenge. Everything else should be whatever you need to become better at your craft. The fact that it's a tele forum just means the demographic is going to be mainly dirty old men with musical tastes leaning toward country, folk, blues, and classic rock.

That is what's so great about this place:cool:

6. I_build_my_own

Thanks everyone for letting me in :)

Here is the story behind this build. Since Taylor brought out the T5 years ago I liked the design and versatility but most I liked the design of their F holes. I was tempted to put them even in my semi hollow body build with a Les Paul body shape that I just finished in December. While I put a piezo bridge in that build for the versatility, I felt putting F holes in it looked a bit crowded and too much.

I am calling this build a prototype for various reason. In this build I want to try out and gain some experience on several ends, without huge cost in raw material – assuming there will be quite some learning and oopses.

- It will be my first attempt to do an arch top. Rather than trying this on cheap pine, I decided to use leftover poplar for the top. I have to laminate several stripes to get the entire top.

- Rather than taking a huge nice plank of mahogany and routing everything out, I decided to use mahogany flooring cutoffs to build the sides and laminate them together.

- For the back decided use Brazilian cherry wood blanks, also hardwood floor leftovers. I will laminate these too.

- I have never been a friend of bridge pins. I am not 100% set, but I might to a string through body - here comes some TELECASTER resemblance. :lol: I’ll figure something out.

-Overall body outline will be taken form T5 pictures. Height will be different as I plan to arch the top and back.

It is my assumption that, after the I had all my learning on this body, I will build a second body, this time with better wood resources, full mahogany body plank and a real spruce top, and I will take the neck and pickups to the 2nd body.

- Bold on neck, with “good" wood – no try out here. 2 degree angle

- I’ll do my tried and true usual 5 piece maple/taun combo and an angled headstock 3x3 tuners
    o TELECASTER 25.5 fret board.
    o I always wanted to try out Lace’s Alumitones pickups. Considering that they weight almost nothing and add barely weight to the arch top. I’ll go with their humbucker model in the bridge and single coil design in the front.
    o There will be a piezo pickup in the saddle and I’ll put several piezo dishes for tryout purpose, similar what JJB and K&K are doing. Basically this body becomes the piezo mule for the final body, where I will take the piezo placements that yield the best result in the mule.

Overall the build will be slow, as I only get to this during a few hours on the weekends. Here some pics that I had shared here and there already. I'll post some in between pictures soon, how the build progressed.

- Yes that's my cat, she will not be pleased when I put the top an back on. :lol:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    crazydave911 and John Nicholas like this.
  7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

:lol::lol::lol:

Mr_Q likes this.
  8. BeeTL

BeeTL Tele-Holic

+1

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Rich Rice

Rich Rice Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like a well thought out plan. Go man, go! ;)

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. I_build_my_own

Here a view of the laminated top after 1 level and then 2 levels were routed. I cut and glued the poplar stripes so that all "appears" as one quarter sawn top but you can see the glue lines apparently.

The carving: I modeled the individual levels after my Les Paul build considering the larger body, just the individual steps aren’t that high/deep like on a LP carve top. Routing is all free hand since a lot of sanding is following anyway.

One learning I had with my Les Paul build was: I killed a router bit when I hit by accident one of the metal screws that were holding the wood down during routing. This time around I am using Nylon screws. I already had hit 2 screw heads with the router bit this time. Since it is soft Nylon the router bit survived, just the nylon screw is now a bit "lighter" now. Needless to say that you cannot tighten the nylon screws like steel screws, but it is not really needed. Since the top is straight all you really need is a bit of down ward pressure. In the middle where the humbucker pickup goes, I have steel bold and bigger piece of maple to apply down war pressure on a larger area where I don’t have to do routing.

Attached Files:

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. I_build_my_own

All 5 levels routed. Almost forgot to take a picture, already had started sanding.

In this pic you see the Nylon screws better and the overall routing carving height.

[​IMG]

12. metecem

metecem Friend of Leo's

Lovely... Way to go mate!

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. I_build_my_own

Top after rough sanding. I cut the neckpocket, with the saw and files, have no template as the pocket is longer than normal - so no routing. Since it just poplar and only a bit more 1/4 inch thick, not a big deal.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  14. I_build_my_own

Starting to locate/place the pickups and bridge. Like the back, I made the bridge out of Bazilian Cherry wood - another recycled piece of scrap hardwood foor.

[​IMG]

15. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

If this is anywhere near as beauiful as you elpee, I know I'll love it!

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

With the mock up it looks fantastic, are planning to stain it with colour or leave it natural.

crazydave911 likes this.
  17. I_build_my_own

At this point I am undecided. I am not sure if I will even paint the "mule". I am not 100% convinced how all the lamination of the top and the sides will look over time. While the top is all slices from the same piece of wood that I cut off and glued in the same direction, I still assume that the individual pieces will work/expand/contract differently under temp and humidity. So putting a mile deep translucent finish on it and then seeing slight height differences as the wood works would be frustrating I guess. Knowing myself, it wouldn’t be something I want to expose my ego to. The sides of the body, I assume would even work worse under temp and humidity changes considering it is all laminated cutoffs not stemming from the same "tree". Perhaps I will try a cherry sunburst and use a different brand of clear coat than I used before for practice reasons. I also have no idea how staining poplar with my "existing technique" will work.

Though I need to admit I start liking the natural look of the poplar since it kind of quarter sawn and looks pretty even for a laminated top and has no green mineral streaks.

The final product will definitely be painted either with a "cherry-ish sunburst like in the pic below, or a tobacco sunburst - something that would work well with the mahogany sides and back.

Attached Files:

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. I_build_my_own

Here a picture of what i mean with the laminated top and my concern how the wood will differently expand/contract with temp and humidity. It was hard to take sharp picture with my camera. The red lines show where I glued the wood stripes in order to get a kind of quarter sawn top. Unless i drown the top with epoxy, the wood left and right to a glue line will always expand/contract differently and that will "bleed" through a wet sanded and polished surface at the latest after 1 day.

[​IMG].
    Therefore at this stage I focus more one the build and learning around carving the top and placement of piezos rather than on the finish.

This is a shot of the end grain from the cut away area.

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. I_build_my_own

Here the same end grain from the other side. Red arrows show the glue lines. When gluing it, I was careful to match the end grains, and the overall direction how the tree was growing to avoid that one blank is going upwards and the other one downwards. Not sure if it makes a difference.

[​IMG]

crazydave911 likes this.
  20. I_build_my_own

Some pictures I took from building the neck.

My usual 5 piece combination 3x maple and 2 thin taun stripes. The taun is from hardwood floor leftover. After routing off the paint and cleaning the back of floor board, one profile cut still yields 2 thing stripes after splitting it with the band saw.
    [​IMG]

I forgot to take some interim picture from the steps where i routed the pieces to thickness. gluing the 5 pieces together, routing it into rough shape and routing the truss rod channel up to the point where I am gluing on the ears.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.