T-Rex Mudhoney II Dual Distortions - on blow out sale...

GearGeek01

Tele-Holic
Currenty (noon, 9/26/2022) Sweetwater (I am not affiliated with them what so ever, except as a customer) is blowing out these super fine dual distortions for $89.00 while supplies last (they say)... According to the sales guy, they just plain have way too many of them...

I just ordered mine and at that price I might even buy a second one for the future.

I have opwned this pedal in the past and it was one of those that got away when I had to survive 2020 and Covid-19. It is one of the best distortion/overdrive type pedals I have ever owned.

MudHoney II - 01.jpg

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I absolutely fell in love with T Rex with the awesome boost sound I got from my Fat Shuga Reverb.
I was sorely disappointed to not find other T-Rex OD sounds to measure up- YMMV

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Awesome price. I just got confirmation on a Purple Stardust(!!!!!!) today but technically that’s not a distortion pedal so I’m going online now. Thanks.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
That’s a good deal for sure, but man, the last thing I need is another OD pedal, no matter how good it might be. But I’ll pass the info on to a couple of friends.

hotcoffeenochill

Tele-Meister
Mine arrived this morning. Frankly, quite impressed with it.

Gain sounds great for the overdriven blues/psych rock I mostly (exclusively) play, pedal's not very noisy even with the boost engaged and the gain fairly high (though noisier than some drives I've had), and both Normal and Boost channel clean up well with the guitar. Seems to like single coils and P90s best, but I got some good sounds out of humbuckers, just took longer to sort out.

Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the switching, I've only ever had dual drives where both could be turned on independently and thus could stack, but I actually think I prefer this. Cuts out some thinking when dialing in both sides (don't have to worry about them sounding great by themselves but stacking weirdly) and possibly cuts out a step in the middle of a show if you want one and then the other but not both.

Going straight on the giggin board, we'll see next weekend how she fares.

viking

Friend of Leo's
I sold off my vintage Boss pedals ( That I have had and used since the 80s ) for rather stupid money.
Since I live less than 40 kms away from the Trex HQ , I filled up my board with used pedals , I am extremely happy with the original Mudhoney........

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
FYI, these are based on the Rat. The GC-exclusive Yellow Drive was the same pedal, but with one channel re-voiced for less gain to make it seem more like an OD/distortion combo. AFAIK, the channels on the Mudhoney are identical. I REALLY don't need more pedals, but $89...

They're also available from Sweetwater on eBay, if you're like me and don't want Sweetwater pestering you all the time.

Grandy

Tele-Holic
I cannot recommenf Mudhoney highly enough. I'm puzzled why other pedal makers don't use a similar swtching scheme. Hit it once to go from your clean amp sound to low gain drive, then hit the second switch for high gain. It's like having a three channel amp. I've been thinking about getting another mini rodent to pair up with my Mooer Black Secret. Setting them side by side so that I can turn off one and turn on another with one stomp in a similar fashion.

schenkadere

Friend of Leo's
I had the Yellow Drive which was a dumbed down GC version. It was quite nice. If I was in the market I'd jump on this.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Wasn't sure how I'd feel about the switching, I've only ever had dual drives where both could be turned on independently and thus could stack, but I actually think I prefer this. Cuts out some thinking when dialing in both sides (don't have to worry about them sounding great by themselves but stacking weirdly) and possibly cuts out a step in the middle of a show if you want one and then the other but not both.
So how does the switching work? Is one switch basically effected or bypassed, and the other then channel 1 or 2? It would have been nice if T Rex would have labeled the footswitches!

Oddly enough, I just put my Boss SD-2 back on my one pedalboard. Point being that I kind of find the non-stacking nature to be preferable.

I've personally never been thrilled much with 'Siamese twin stacking', because I've always had way better results stacking two dissimilar pedals together.

hotcoffeenochill

Tele-Meister
So how does the switching work? Is one switch basically effected or bypassed, and the other then channel 1 or 2? It would have been nice if T Rex would have labeled the footswitches!

Oddly enough, I just put my Boss SD-2 back on my one pedalboard. Point being that I kind of find the non-stacking nature to be preferable.

I've personally never been thrilled much with 'Siamese twin stacking', because I've always had way better results stacking two dissimilar pedals together.
If you start with the pedal bypassed, you can turn on either channel using it's footswitch. Once on, if you step on the other footswitch it disengages the other channel and activates that channel. If you step on whatever channel is currently activated, you return to bypass again.