1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

T-Caster Balance Problem (Heavy Neck)

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by jchabalk, Oct 25, 2020.

1. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Meister

Here's the situation - i built a couple of parts-casters a year or two ago (a s-type and a t-type). I don't love them and i'm wondering if i should break them up, sell the parts and start again, or if i should start trying to sub parts in to fix the problems.

The tele is the one i really want to love, the problem is that the guitar is neck heavy and constantly dips towards the headstock (it's a pretty light swamp-ash body from MJT.

I tried moving the endpin around to offset the balance issue but it just continues to dip. I have a strap that has enough friction to keep it in place but it just sort of bears down on my shoulder - unlike other guitars that i have.

So i'm wondering... should i try to figure out a different neck and start subbing necks in on this one, or should i cut and run?

The parts caster thing isn't something i'm necessarily drawn to - this is a big part of the problem too. I scratched the itch and i don't think it's something that's going to stick.

The strat is just plain heavy. heavy body, heavy neck, i don't think i enjoy playing a strat? - it feels like a 70's les paul weight-wise. So i'm at this crossroads of pursuing a telecaster neck, or selling off all of this stuff, eating the loss and treating it as a coupon towards a factory guitar.

I'm sure some of you have been in a similar position, what'd you do?

2. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

As much as bodies vary in weight necks do as well. But while some vendors tell you body weights none that I know of do the same for necks. You would be going trial and error with necks if it is a really nasty neck heavy problem for you. For me partscasters were a passion. If you aren’t into it you might want to part out and find something by playing it beforehand first. Obviously you can’t do that with a partscaster build.

jchabalk likes this.
  3. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

How heavy are your tuners? Some lockers can weigh a ton!

4. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Meister

I'm just using the vintage style tuners, pretty light (relatively speaking) i think. the problem is likely that my neck is a big deep C shape. When i bought it i wasn't thinking that a big thick neck would be heavier (duh (in retrospect)), but neck weight and balance is something i've never had to deal with as i always was able to audition the whole thing all together.

5. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

get a bigger (wider) strap. maybe something with suede on the inside against your shoulder

6. Brendo

Brendo Tele-Holic

Lead tape? Works for golf clubs.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Telecaster are normally pretty balanced, something needs to be pretty out of whack for them to feel that bad. If your tuners are not heavy Schallers or Sperzels, the problem is probably the neck itself. Is it double truss rod style, like a Warmoth Pro neck? The double truss and a dense piece of maple can indeed make for a heavy neck.
    You could certainly look for a different neck and make sure to put lightweight tuners on it. You can also put some ballast on the butt end of the guitar. I had a bass that was very neck heavy (Warmoth double truss rod Wenge neck + heavy tuners, and a light body) and I ended up epoxying some lead fishing weights in the control cavity to balance it out.

That said, it sounds like you just don't like these guitars very much. Have you taken them to a really good shop and had somebody do a great setup on them? Partscasters aren't supposed to be ready-to-go right after bolting them up. Getting the nut just right is a detailed operation that makes all the difference in playability.

If none of this appeals to you at all and feels like a distraction from actually playing guitar, by all means sell the parts off and buy something that excites you!

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Gotoh have the Stealth tuners. They are expensive , look a little weird , but weigh about half compared to vintage tuners ( 72 grams for 6 tuners IIRC).
    If you remove 3 tuners and stand with the guitar , maybe you can feel the difference.

9. jchabalk

jchabalk Tele-Meister

That's what i did with this one actually. i really wanted this one to play great. I spent a day or 2 doing my own "setup" (basically getting the action, pickup height, and intonation right) but then after a few weeks took it in to get a professional setup. It made it play better but i think it also got me to come to terms with the neck and the fact that a) i don't like the size and b) it's super heavy.

It's a single truss rod, but it's a big heavy piece of maple. I might try finding another neck and giving that a shot but i can also see that this quickly turns into a slippery(er) slope.

c'est la via i suppose.

Maybe i'll restring it in a couple of days. I can remove the neck and weigh it and the body. i'll try pulling a few tuners too and see if that makes a difference.

10. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

Roasted maple neck with vintage style truss rod and tuners should do the trick.

But it doesn't sound like you're too enthusiastic about the whole partscaster business so I don't think it's worth it.

There are many great production guitars out there, so if you're not either looking for a project, a constant tinkerer (I am) or a picky pain-in-the-neck who wants features unavailable or prohibitively expensive in production instruments (like me) than I just don't see the point in building partscasters.

No harm in parting these out and saying "I tried it...not for me!"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.