1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

systems of measurement and keeping/reusing hardware

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by yegbert, Feb 24, 2021.

1. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

Wikipedia’s info includes the following in the intro to the first topic:

“A system of measurement is a collection of units of measurement and rules relating them to each other. Systems of measurement have historically been important, regulated and defined for the purposes of science and commerce. Systems of measurement in use include the International System of Units (SI), the modern form of the metric system, the British imperial system, and the United States customary system.”

I confess I don’t recall hearing or reading before, the “name” of our US system as that. Maybe we more commonly use other terms? What do you call it?

My dad was a carpenter and a somewhat frugal man. He always scavenged and picked up nails (helped avoid flat tires too!) and taught us how to straighten them out so they could be used again. He had the metal top of a 50 gallon barrel that was where the retrieved ones were kept all my life. Now I keep old guitar hardware to similarly reuse. Just today I found a plastic bag of old stuff and am in the middle of sorting it out. The tedious part was separating metric and US customary screws. Anyway, it was fun. I found a couple old sets of Tele saddles, one of which I had been looking for, that I plan to now put on guitars.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't throw anything out. I still have stuff my dad couldn't throw out. His old machinist's setup tools that I can't even use. Just can't get rid of them. NONE of them metric!

3. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

My dad never threw anything away either. I don't think he ever bought a nail in his life.

By the way, this picture explains perfectly why the rest of the world has to reach for a calculator when 'customary' 'Muricans start talking measurements, or speed, or temperature... :)
    [​IMG]

4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Try moving 2,500 km in a rental truck. Suddenly, all sorts of indispensable stuff starts getting less indispensable by the day. I got rid of window covering hardware that I was saving in case I need it. I hadn’t hung window coverings for a living in ten years, and never expect to again. Of course, it’s different if there’s sentimental value. That’s why I kept some of my grandfather’s tools. And this. And I might need this again. And a couple of these...

5. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

I inherited my dad’s machine shop tools. Being a mechanic by trade (now retired) I tend to not throw out hardware. Oncea year I do a clean up of my box and bench tops. It goes into a set of bins by thread size metric and SAE fine and coarse. I play with VWs so there’s lots of scrap iron, magnesium and aluminum. If it don’t measure out as being serviceable, it gets the scrap run for salvage.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.