Syd Barrett

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
PatGoD is a classic, but I love his solo stuff, though at times it is pretty disturbing. I think what is remarkable is the way he flows around the time signature. His sense of time is very flexible and adds another element to the psychedelic nature of his music.

Probly the masterpiece of his solo career:

I always liked this one:

netgear69

Friend of Leo's
Not really a fan of the solo stuff it is just bizarre acid fuelled madness
The early Floyd stuff is interesting for example Arnold Layne who else was writing lyrics in 1967 about a transvestite stealing clothes off washing lines
i think it might of been a pre warning of what was a head

notmyusualuserid

Friend of Leo's
The early Floyd stuff is interesting for example Arnold Layne who else was writing lyrics in 1967 about a transvestite stealing clothes off washing lines

Well three years later the Kinks released Lola...

montyveda

TDPRI Member
I can't pick up my electric guitar without playing with the chords from Here I Go... been playing them for over 30 years and i still don't know the lyrics :D

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Thing was, he was living with an aunt (I believe) and she had a garment stolen off the line. The perpetrator (Arnold) wasn't caught, but after many ladies garments had been stolen, the thefts stopped due to the local push back.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
sorry, nothing posted here makes me like Syd. got anything good?

... and yeah, I was there at the time

whoanelly15

Tele-Afflicted

Big fan here. Love seeing all the different preferences people have here. I tend to listen to each of the Syd releases start to finish, no skips and live almost all of them. Octopus would be my top if you made me choose.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
Came here to say this. That cat’s something I can’t explain!
Hate to stir the pot but this is probably my favorite PF song.

I was playing a gig in a club sometime around 2000 and after our set the sound man cranked this song through the PA. That’s when I realized how much of a feel good, banging, relentlessly grooving pop-rock song this was. The lead and rhythm guitars on this practically slash your head off at the volume he played it. It’s been an all time favorite by anyone since then.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
If you have Amazon Coda, the Nick Mason Saucerful of Secrets concert is worth watching. It’s a lot of fun seeing him and his excellent band play a full set of early Floyd tunes.

Bluesboy3

Tele-Afflicted
In my humble opinion (mine only), Floyd is an enigma wrapped around a riddle.... First, Syd and the boys. In many ways completely Pink Floyd yet also completely different from what is to come. Second, the "collaborative years". All 4 essentially making great music with input from all. Then (IMHO) sadly, the Roger Water's dark takeover. Interestingly, I much prefer Roger Water's solo stuff to David Gilmours. All that said, hats off to Richard Wright and Nick Mason for being there for all three periods....

It's hard to imagine Floyd without Syd, but I will agree in that the early stuff is a much more acquired taste.

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
There's a really good book, "Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey", published in 1992. A friend loaned it to me in 1994 and I read it cover-to-cover in about 2 days. There was background that I never would have known, not having been there at the beginning. According to the book, Floyd and Soft Machine were two major hot acts when they appeared, and routinely lured each others crowds away. Hard to imagine now.