Syd Barrett

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Imagine if Syd was a Beatle.

I’m imagining hotrodsteve changing his avatar from the beginning of the thread but also not sure if it has changed, I swear it was just something else, AND...

I’m freakin out man.... did it change? Wait.... don’t let me know I like the torture!

Could Paul be in Floyd?

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I remember hearing those early PF/Barratt songs and thinking how "dangerous" the guitar sounded compared to most other guitars I'd heard...

no idea what guitar he was playing.. it just sounded like a weapon.

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
As an old-school Metalhead, you cannot discount AD as an influence on what came later (Voivod covered this quite handily).
Or this one, with that awesome falling chromatic riff:

Aw darn, @aging_rocker beat me to it.

I have to admit that Astronomy Domine is one of my favorite songs ever. Love it. And all the early Floyd albums.

HotRodSteve

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m imagining hotrodsteve changing his avatar from the beginning of the thread but also not sure if it has changed, I swear it was just something else, AND...

I’m freakin out man.... did it change? Wait.... don’t let me know I like the torture!

Could Paul be in Floyd?

Stop fretting out man!

proxy-image

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
I really love certain Pink Floyd songs, mostly the ones that I have had to learn in order to play them at a gig with the band.

Quite honestly though, Floyd was always a band that was out there, somewhere outside my sphere of personal music.
My younger brother (and bandmate) is a huge fan, and he and his buddies were hooked on The Wall when it came out.
I was traveling around the world with the Army, and was only mildly aware of it.

I have read a lot about the band over the years, and find David Gilmour to be an interesting player.
I have seen him interviewed, and he struck me as a lovely man.
Same with Richard Wright and Nick Mason.

As for Syd Barrett, it's safe to say I only ever heard about him in articles on the interwebs.
I couldn't name a song that he crafted, back when he was coherent and still contributing to the band.

I reckon if I had to work around a jerk like Roger Waters, I would take drugs and lose my mind too.

:(