Sycamore Esquire

Rob DiStefano

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
Yep, I've heard tales of sycamore - my Dad was a fine cabinet maker. This syc body is quite bone dry and readily accepted both the dye stain and finishing oil. Anyhoo, it struck my fancy to make it into a Tele, so that's what I done last night, adding a neck Lion King Plus. The Bakelite pickguard completed the picture and I oiled the board. It now weighs a hefty 5lbs 3ozs sans strap buttons ... we don't need no stinkin' strap buttons, we're old, we sit to play. :twisted:

tele2021.jpg

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Yep, I've heard tales of sycamore - my Dad was a fine cabinet maker. This syc body is quite bone dry and readily accepted both the dye stain and finishing oil. Anyhoo, it struck my fancy to make it into a Tele, so that's what I done last night, adding a neck Lion King Plus. The Bakelite pickguard completed the picture and I oiled the board. It now weighs a hefty 5lbs 3ozs sans strap buttons ... we don't need no stinkin' strap buttons, we're old, we sit to play. :twisted:

View attachment 915535

That finish is gorgeous, Rob. And I love the rosewood board neck. I actually love the look of a rosewood board with a natural finish blackguard. I currently only have maple-necked teles, but am considering rosewood for my next one.

And yeah, who needs strap buttons? My reverse-Esquire jazz tele doesn't have them. You sit down to play jazz guitar. Duh. :D

Great build, buddy. I'm going to have to try one of those finishes.

otterhound

Poster Extraordinaire
Would you share a photo of the lower edge of the body ? You know , the flat surface that circles the circumference of the body . I would like to see the endgrain .

Last edited:

mkdaws32

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Looks awesome, Rob! One I’ve been working on for a while has a sycamore body - I’m having a really hard time getting the finish done on it - humidity was off the charts all summer and now it rather cold. Anyway - super, super light - body was under 2lbs - took a lot of filling, sanding, filling, sanding just to get get the pores filled enough for a smooth finish. I routed out between the neck and bridge pickups routes to stack some good-sized steel washers in there for added weight! I did this because I put the neck and hardware on to line everything up before I started finishing the body and the neck dive was horrible! I don’t know if it’s enough to fix the final build completely, but it will help!

Hope mine turns out as good as yours!