1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SX Furrian - series-mod challenges

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by commodorejohn, Apr 18, 2021.

1. commodorejohn

commodorejohn NEW MEMBER!

So I've got a decent little SX Tele clone I picked up on the cheap some years ago, that I'm pretty fond of. (I do like SX Guitars - for the money, the build quality on everything but the pickups/electronics is quite reasonable.) I've had some fun swapping out the pickups on it (current configuration: SD Quarter Pounder in the bridge position, '62 gold-foil in the neck position - very nice together,) but I ran into some trouble when I thought I'd like to try a series mod.

Problem is, the body is actually thinner than usual for Telecasters, closer to Strat thickness, and the control pocket is routed accordingly - which means that it's not possible to fit a standard Tele-style rotary switch (the big bare-board circular design) without re-routing it, and I'd like to avoid that if possible. The default setup came with a 3-position switch in a Strat-style package (the rectangular metal box,) but the only 4-position switch I've been able to find in that form factor is one obscure piece on eBay that the seller wants $130 for (!!!)

So the natural course of action would be to use a 5-position Strat switch instead - easy enough, but it leaves me one extra position that I'm not sure what to do with. I can't see a good way to rig it up for a phase-reversed option without adding an extra pole, but I'm curious to hear any additional suggestions for a useful 5th option in a two-pickup system?

NilsZippo likes this.
  2. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

3. NilsZippo

NilsZippo TDPRI Member

Unfortunately, howardlo’s recommendation won’t work in that SX without routing an extra 1/4” depth in the control cavity.

Several years ago, I too found myself in the exact same predicament with the same model guitar. It does suck that they don’t rout that control cavity just a tad deeper to handle OG, CRL type switches. The thinner body on the SX guitars has its benefits with slightly less weight but in my experience, it really is only slightly less than a more common 1.75” thick body. My situation was also hampered by someone breaking into my work shed and stealing some of my tools including my router and unable to find my preferred replacement model in stock, I just bought a $100 Dewalt trim router, increased the depth of the control cavity by the extra 1/4” needed. Only took about a minute, then I was able to use OG rotary switch I wanted. I was going to just return the router after I was done and wait until they restocked my preferred more powerful model, but in the end I kept it as I knew I would find and have found plenty uses for it. Even the basic Harbor Freight trim router for $30 can easily handle the job, just food for thought.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  4. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Welcome to TDPRI!

5. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.