SX Furrian - Drop in Pickups?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by sixstringedmatt, May 17, 2021.

1. sixstringedmatt

sixstringedmatt TDPRI Member

I recently picked up a 2019-2020? SX Nashville-style Furrian as a mod platform. I’m playing left-handed these days (long story) and honestly bought it for the finished body in seafoam green. Lefties move fast and it was a bit of an impulse buy.

As I’ve been reading, I hear conflicting info about after market pickups fitting in the guitar, particularly the bridge plate/route. Some mention needing to route and others do not.

Can anyone confirm this or set me in the right direction on how to figure that out for myself without buying and returning pickups? I find some brands give dimensions and others don’t.

I might try switching to brass saddles first (block style given that bridge swaps seem tough without redrilling) but imagine the pickups are going to need to come out soon.

Thanks!

PhredE likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a couple Furriai that the bridge was a tighter fit, but new pickups went in fine. Maybe you might need to enlarge the pg a skosh.

3. sixstringedmatt

This is relieving. I can widen the PG no sweat but don’t have the ability to alter the bridge or routes.

Might just bite the bullet and see how it goes. Thank you!

4. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

My experience was basically the same as bender66.

The Furrian bridge is (surprise!) cheap pot metal and the tinny / jangly buzzes and weird resonances were driving me crazy. I upgraded with a top-load GFS bridge (thick steel with decent chrome plating -- certainly not Gotoh quality, but a huge improvement over the stock unit). The replacement worked out pretty well. The drilled mount holes lined up near perfectly and the recess for the pickup fit around the pickup rout in the body fine (on mine at least). After that, a Dimarzio TwangKing went into the bridge and it sounds fine now.

If you're interested, here is the replacement GFS bridgeplate (which fit the mount holes fine -- FYI):
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/105mm-...l-Baseplate-Fits-Telereg-Chrome-_p_24489.html
    ($16)

Edit: Ah, crud. Because it's a left hand model and the bridgeplage must also have a similar orientation.. derp! Don't know where to track down a left-handed bridgeplate of similar quality/style/price offhand... (Apologies :oops: )

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Measure and swap the pots 'n caps first ... you may not need to swap the pickups.
    Sure, not as sexy as telling the forum you spent $200 on a boutique hand-wound pickup, but it's also fun to fix a tone problem with a fifty cent cap or five dollar volume pot.

PhredE likes this.
  6. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Is is a left or right hand model?

7. sixstringedmatt

All good!! I may consider installing a short bridge and direct mounting the pickup.

This is definitely a budget build so good call. I don’t have tools to widen the shallow and narrow cavity but it might be a good time to invest in a dremel for that. No room for a router unfortunately.

At most I’m comfortable dropping $150 on all potential new parts: pups, saddles, electronics, maybe a new bridge but tbd.

Lefty!

PhredE likes this.
  8. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I have had several SX teles that I modded extensively. 3 became very good Esquire clones. One I redrilled stock bridge plate to accept 3 brass saddles ("bubba mod"), One I actually fitted a vintage style bridge plate to ( lots of work, including redrilling new string thru holes, filling existing holes, refinishing, etc.), and one I simply replaced the cheap stock saddle with some high quality SS ones and retained stock SX bridge plate. I have done the latter(saddles only) option on a couple other SX teles, a couple SX strats, and a Squier Bullet Strat too - good improvement IMO for not much effort or expense.

As far as widening or deepening body routs, a dremel works great with the proper rotary file bits. On my Esquire clone projects, I installed vintage style switches, which required making the switch rout deeper.

SX guitars can be great fun for projects. I currently have a similar Rondo Music model (Haydean Tele style) that will be another Esquire clone project when I get around to it. This one already has a top loader vintage style bridge and a rosewood board, so will be a "1959 Esquire inspired" clone.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
    sixstringedmatt and PhredE like this.
  9. sixstringedmatt

Thanks for sharing all of this! I’m leaning a bit towards just getting new saddles, pickups, and keeping it simple for now. I’m waiting on a set of Hot Classics from Tonerider before determining if I will want steel or brass saddles.

Most 3 saddle sets are 2 1/8 spacing and I don’t get along with strings too close to the edge of the neck so I’m not sure if I’ll Bubba mod (despite liking the idea).

I will need to dremel the control cavity. Since I’m a lefty the tone pot is not functioning as it should and normal sized pots don’t fit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.