Switching to Electric

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
I'm running a real amp with a small board and play with a number of different folk doing modern worship. It doesn't take $20K worth of gear to do this stuff.
https://neunaber.net/

I once showed up at conference I was playing at with something between 11K and 13K worth of guitars, a mandolin, an amp, pedals, and harmonicas. The keyboard player had a borrowed Casio. :)

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
I once showed up at conference I was playing at with something between 11K and 13K worth of guitars,... The keyboard player had a borrowed Casio. :)

I often show up for rehearsals with a $250 Epiphone 335 (with a Seymour Duncan JB pickup added) and a Fender Mustang 3 modelling amp ($180) and a $25 cable: $600 total. Sounds very good! But there's a reason I also have $2000 guitars and expensive classic amps... I got my money's worth.

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
Get a Helix LT and some patches from Alex Strabala.

I play acoustic through mine using the Holy Grail Ir from worship tutorials combined with the Taylor 612 IR from Alex Strabala.

I play bass using the SVT pro amp; (I’ve bought multiple patches from different sources and they almost always end up being the SVT pro amp with a compressor and an overdrive pedal)

I play electric using various patches which are modified descendants of a worship tutorials patch.

I plan on using it for electric double bass using double bass IRs as well.

Edit: as far as stomp v helix, I got the Helix LT and was almost immediately glad I did. I can run out of DSP on 1 chip fairly easily. I know a lot of people love the stomp; the Helix is basically just two stomps.

Jmantx

TDPRI Member
Get a Helix LT and some patches from Alex Strabala.

I play acoustic through mine using the Holy Grail Ir from worship tutorials combined with the Taylor 612 IR from Alex Strabala.

I play bass using the SVT pro amp; (I’ve bought multiple patches from different sources and they almost always end up being the SVT pro amp with a compressor and an overdrive pedal)

I play electric using various patches which are modified descendants of a worship tutorials patch.

I plan on using it for electric double bass using double bass IRs as well.

Edit: as far as stomp v helix, I got the Helix LT and was almost immediately glad I did. I can run out of DSP on 1 chip fairly easily. I know a lot of people love the stomp; the Helix is basically just two stomps.
Your post echoes my thoughts almost perfectly. I have been experimenting with acoustic and amp cab IRs in a DAW, and the difference is amazing. I was tempted to just use a laptop for a pedalboard, but my laptop isn't very reliable when it comes to audio, plus I don't have any kind of switching device. The Helix LT was exactly what I was looking at. Any major things I should know about it?

Redleg37

Tele-Meister
Your post echoes my thoughts almost perfectly. I have been experimenting with acoustic and amp cab IRs in a DAW, and the difference is amazing. I was tempted to just use a laptop for a pedalboard, but my laptop isn't very reliable when it comes to audio, plus I don't have any kind of switching device. The Helix LT was exactly what I was looking at. Any major things I should know about it?

I recommend buying some pre made patches that are well reviewed so you can look at how they are made and learn how to make better patches for yourself.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
….or you can do it simply and just find your own voice. It doesn’t take a ton of money to get started. An inexpensive amp, a decent guitar( but even an Epi or Squier would be ok) and a few pedals. I’ve been doing worship for almost 20 years and have an old digidelay ,a digitech CM 2 and ts9 plus a poly tune. I get tons of tone out of that pedal board and by turning the knobs.

It can be very expensive to follow the crowd. I’m thankful for bands like We the Kingdom and Zack Williams who bring something different.

Goldilocks is on point. I think my first electric guitar amp was a Behringer Blue Devil that had built in effects with an Epi Dot . From there I upgraded as I could afford . Today there are so many options and at such good prices .

ravindave_3600

Friend of Leo's
99 out of 100 folks could not tell and would not care if you sound like Buck Owen's or Hillsong.

Or Pete Townshend. I once ended a "modern worship" song with the last few bars of Won't Get Fooled Again. You know, the raging part before the individual windmill slams.

Someone came up and said they'd never noticed that part in the recording before but it was wonderful.

I smiled awkwardly.

FortyEight

Tele-Afflicted
I'm leading the music at our old church this weekend. It's gonna be me and a piano player and my wife and another gal singing.

I will have my Squier Tele, acoustic as a back up and an amp. I might bring my pedal board to use some chorus or reverb. MAYBE my newer compressor. But even if I didn't have any of that I wouldn't care. It's all perspective. I don't really get the need for all the gadgets and crap to sing praises to God. Just play music. If I mic'd a ukelele it would be fine. But I still have to get better at that instrument to be able to do that. :)