Switching to Electric

Jmantx

TDPRI Member
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member, but not new to TDPRI. I currently play bass at my church, but I am looking to move to electric guitar. I have been playing acoustic guitar for 12 years, and only picked up bass when there were no bass players left at my church. I picked up electric guitar last year.
The big question is: gear!
Currently I am building a telecaster, and I have a modded Johnson Strat. My only pedalboard consists of a Boss GT1-B bass effects processor, Amazon overdrive pedal, and tuner pedal. I have an Ampeg bass amp - it is completely clean, e.g., no effects or amp modeling. I have used an interface with my laptop or my phone as a virtual pedalboard, but it is pretty clumsy. I don't want to spend too much money, but I would like a better solution than using a computer. I have considered the Line 6 Pod Go, HX Stomp XL, or a used Helix LT. I was pretty set on the Pod Go, but I heard that the Pod Go wouldn't allow enough effects to recreate many of the Bethel/Hillsong sounds. I also heard that the Stomp didn't have the same DSP as the Helix. I don't want to buy twice - I'd rather get something that will last me a while. Are my fears of the Pod Go or the Stomp being inadequate ungrounded, or are they accurate?

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
I use the stomp and the HX effects. In tandem and separate. They are awesome. The POD GO is going to be more than sufficient for 99% of everything you could want to do. If you need more than that then helix floor or helix LT is going to be more than you could ever need. It’s not the same as an amp, but it’s consistent, And it works.

Danjabellza

Friend of Leo's
That said, I’m currently of 2 minds… the first is to sell everything except for my stomp and volume pedal and use that as a minimalist stand alone rig. The second is to sell everything including my stomp and get a helix floor. It’s a constant battle inside.

Grenville

Tele-Meister
The Bethel/Hillsong sounds are a basic overdrive and a delay, plus an additional drive, distortion or fuzz for lead parts. The rest is gravy.

I am certain a Pod Go would cover those things.

On the other hand, your Boss GT-1B has a lot of effects to hand, chances are they'd sound good with guitar too. Play with the preamp stuff in there and see if you can set up a nice edge of breakup sound for your guitar.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
There are a few ways you could go. A helix or similar pedal , maybe a POD like was mentioned . You could go with a Katina or similar modeling amp, or an amp and a few stomp box’s . A lot of it depends on if you don’t mind tweaking knobs. Either way unless you have some decent money to plop down , take one thing at a time. Most important is either a POD or HX pedal or a decent amp , preferably with a line out. Me personally, I like an amp with a few stomp boxes.

Jmantx

TDPRI Member
The Bethel/Hillsong sounds are a basic overdrive and a delay, plus an additional drive, distortion or fuzz for lead parts. The rest is gravy.

I am certain a Pod Go would cover those things.

On the other hand, your Boss GT-1B has a lot of effects to hand, chances are they'd sound good with guitar too. Play with the preamp stuff in there and see if you can set up a nice edge of breakup sound for your guitar.
That's what I thought. I watch Worship Tutorials' YouTube channel, and they said the Pod Go doesn't have the signal chain capability required to run dual amps, which is "necessary" for some sounds. I personally haven't found a need to use dual amps, nor do I need the DSP to do it. I was probably have put too much stock in one YouTube channel's opinion.

Jmantx

TDPRI Member
There are a few ways you could go. A helix or similar pedal , maybe a POD like was mentioned . You could go with a Katina or similar modeling amp, or an amp and a few stomp box’s . A lot of it depends on if you don’t mind tweaking knobs. Either way unless you have some decent money to plop down , take one thing at a time. Most important is either a POD or HX pedal or a decent amp , preferably with a line out. Me personally, I like an amp with a few stomp boxes.
The knob tweaking is a concern. I don't like setting a delay time on the fly. I'd rather have a preset for a delay set to a BPM that I can switch from song to song. The problem is, the pedals I have seen that will do that are pricey, like the Timeline or DD500. I don't know if there's a budget alternative.

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
The knob tweaking is a concern. I don't like setting a delay time on the fly. I'd rather have a preset for a delay set to a BPM that I can switch from song to song. The problem is, the pedals I have seen that will do that are pricey, like the Timeline or DD500. I don't know if there's a budget alternative.
My experience is there is not. I had a Vox delay lab ,but they discontinued them and mine finally crapped out. Maybe look at the used market for something similar. Mine allowed me to have multiple delays available with a foot switch.

Grenville

Tele-Meister
That's what I thought. I watch Worship Tutorials' YouTube channel, and they said the Pod Go doesn't have the signal chain capability required to run dual amps, which is "necessary" for some sounds. I personally haven't found a need to use dual amps, nor do I need the DSP to do it. I was probably have put too much stock in one YouTube channel's opinion.

You absolutely DO NOT need dual amp settings to do p&w, let alone Hillsong/Bethel.

You also do not need tap tempo delay. I sold my last tap tempo delay years ago and now just run a delay with the repeats set to around 375 or 750bpm and leave it at that. Works fine.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
Great thread and suggestions.
I try to stay away from all of the Bethel approved gear ( with the exemption on my Timeline that I bought when they first came out)

Like others have said, start off with the L6 offerings.
And learn how to play to the song, as mentioned in another thread. Be different !

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Great thread and suggestions.
I try to stay away from all of the Bethel approved gear ( with the exemption on my Timeline that I bought when they first came out)

Like others have said, start off with the L6 offerings.
And learn how to play to the song, as mentioned in another thread. Be different !

haha, me too. My setup is simple. I use a digidelay that has a few different delays via a rotary switch and 2 OD pedals plus my tuner into my drri. It works for me and gives me enough sounds to sound like me. I’ve got a variety of guitars, but no Gretsches.

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member, but not new to TDPRI. I currently play bass at my church, but I am looking to move to electric guitar. I have been playing acoustic guitar for 12 years, and only picked up bass when there were no bass players left at my church. I picked up electric guitar last year.
The big question is: gear!
Currently I am building a telecaster, and I have a modded Johnson Strat. My only pedalboard consists of a Boss GT1-B bass effects processor, Amazon overdrive pedal, and tuner pedal. I have an Ampeg bass amp - it is completely clean, e.g., no effects or amp modeling. I have used an interface with my laptop or my phone as a virtual pedalboard, but it is pretty clumsy. I don't want to spend too much money, but I would like a better solution than using a computer. I have considered the Line 6 Pod Go, HX Stomp XL, or a used Helix LT. I was pretty set on the Pod Go, but I heard that the Pod Go wouldn't allow enough effects to recreate many of the Bethel/Hillsong sounds. I also heard that the Stomp didn't have the same DSP as the Helix. I don't want to buy twice - I'd rather get something that will last me a while. Are my fears of the Pod Go or the Stomp being inadequate ungrounded, or are they accurate?
So is the expectation that you should play the song exactly like the recording? Cause I really think the sanctuary drives a lot of equipment decisions if you have the freedom. The anthemic stuff can sound kinda silly when you are playing in a room of fewer than 100 people early on Sunday morning. In any case, there's lots of good suggestions here already. If you don't want to spend a lot of money and you want to go direct to house, you might look at some of those Joyo amp simulators. They are really cheap and they work just fine (you could actually run them through the bass amp too.)

Your choices all look pretty expensive to me. But you are obviously on the right track to think about something that you will use a lot.

Jmantx

TDPRI Member
So is the expectation that you should play the song exactly like the recording? Cause I really think the sanctuary drives a lot of equipment decisions if you have the freedom. The anthemic stuff can sound kinda silly when you are playing in a room of fewer than 100 people early on Sunday morning. In any case, there's lots of good suggestions here already. If you don't want to spend a lot of money and you want to go direct to house, you might look at some of those Joyo amp simulators. They are really cheap and they work just fine (you could actually run them through the bass amp too.)

Your choices all look pretty expensive to me. But you are obviously on the right track to think about something that you will use a lot.
I am tempted to buy the Joyo, but I am concerned with the quality of some "internationally produced" pedals, and at over $100, it's not exactly a throw away. In your opinion, will one of their amp modelers last me a while and sound like a decent amp?

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
I am tempted to buy the Joyo, but I am concerned with the quality of some "internationally produced" pedals, and at over $100, it's not exactly a throw away. In your opinion, will one of their amp modelers last me a while and sound like a decent amp?
I use one for a simple wet/dry rig. Its quite a good bargain. My amp takes the wet signal and the Joyo is EQ'd to approximate a DDRI and goes direct to the board as the dry signal.

Last edited:

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
The Joyo Amp Sims are about $50 new, but you can get used very cheaply. I paid $35 for mine and literally bought it just to see how it worked.

https://reverb.com/item/43489773-joyo-jf-13-ac-tone-overdrive

JuneauMike

Poster Extraordinaire
The Joyo Amp Sims are about $50 new, but you can get used very cheaply. I paid $35 for mine and literally bought it just to see how it worked.

I light $50 on fire pretty much every week on miscellany (mostly in the deli section of my grocery store) so it's not much of a leap to throw it at a pedal really. But I agree, when a single item costs $100 we can be a bit more discerning.

They have a cab simulator/IR box that looks pretty cool and goes for about $150 or so. I've never used that before and I'd be skeptical of it sight unseen. Seems like if you are that serious about that kind of tech you'd probably want to weigh whether you can take the leap to Strymon.

https://reverb.com/item/34235249-jo...9.BXEHtaIjY330QoiYIjEiaeCzlqwnWjrwvpfBspacIVo

Last edited:

Jmantx

TDPRI Member

I light $50 on fire pretty much every week on miscellany (mostly in the deli section of my grocery store) so it's not much of a leap to throw it at a pedal really. But I agree, when a single item costs $100 we can be a bit more discerning.

They have a cab simulator/IR box that looks pretty cool and goes for about $150 or so. I've never used that before and I'd be skeptical of it sight unseen. Seems like if you are that serious about that kind of tech you'd probably want to weigh whether you can take the leap to Strymon.

https://reverb.com/item/34235249-jo...9.BXEHtaIjY330QoiYIjEiaeCzlqwnWjrwvpfBspacIVo
Yup, I didn't realize they had the $50 one. I had seen the IR loader before, which was why I referred to them as $100 pedals. My mistake!

oyobass

Tele-Meister
The NUX MG-30 is a $300 modeler pedal that sounds as good as the more expensive Helix and similar gear. Not identical, the default sounds are a little brighter than HX or Pod go, you may or may not like the difference. Worth giving it a try!
For the money, I couldn't be happier with mine.

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
In reality the Modern Worship crowd are some of the worst cork sniffers on the planet. If you try to do what groups like Hillsong do to get tones you better have REALLY deep pockets!!
I have been playing worship since the early 90's and it wasn't always like this.
Today if you don't have a board full of Strymon stuff a Divided By 13 amp and play a Dusenberg guitar with Lamabatone Crema pickups you ain't cool.
Find a decent amp and run a few pedals with a decent guitar. On pedals Reverb with Shimmer and Delay preferably with tap tempo are really good to have doing the modern stuff. One company on the effects that are killer plus sanely priced is Neunaber. I own a Strymon Blue Sky and it's a nice verb however you can buy both a Neunaber Seraphim Verb and a Echilon Delay both for the price of just a Blue Sky. I own a Neunaber Wet V5 and a Seraphim and in many ways prefer both to the Blue Sky at 1/2 the price.
I'm running a real amp with a small board and play with a number of different folk doing modern worship. It doesn't take $20K worth of gear to do this stuff.
Link to Neunaber and the best deals on this stuff is buying direct from them.
https://neunaber.net/

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
Check this out for a nice Preamp that has a LOT of flexibility. This stuff is built in the US BTW! there are a number of different preamps that will do this from different folk so look around. Strymon has one Carvin Audio has one a bunch of different folk. Check out the demos for this Neunaber on You Tube they are mind blowing!
Pete Thorn on this stuff!

Last edited: