1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Switching strings

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele-nova, Apr 20, 2021.

1. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

After a bad run of luck with ernie balls im going to switch strings. Im torn between d'addarios and elixirs. I have no experience with the d'addarios so I was hoping some of you guys could enlighten me. How long will they stay "fresh"? Are they prone to breaking? How do they feel? Thanks for any advice

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Daddario xl120s for..........15+ years now? Sounds right.

No string should be "prone" to breaking, as that would be really bad for the manufacturers. How long they feel new is also up to your own skin chemistry. I have a friend that must have acid hands as he goes through a set in a night or two, whereas mine can easily be 6 months even with hard playing.

tele-nova likes this.
  3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Prone to breaking can mean a lot of things. No manufacturing is perfect so that is always a possibility. Does the same string break? Or different ones?
    And yeah, I really like XLs. They are a good value and easy to get. But I've never had a problem with Slinkys either. Good luck.

Why not buy 3-4 different brands and compare?

tele-nova likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I really like D'Addario strings!
    They are consistently well made, relatively inexpensive, and smartly packaged.
    I used XL Heavy and Medium on by guitars.
    I use their tapewounds on my P bass.
    I get about 16 hours of constant playing time (4 gigs) before I kill the wound strings.
    I hate dead/dull strings.
    The XL's are bright strings.
    They never break.
    Conversely, I loathe coated strings., especially Elixers.
    They're comparatively expensive, sound dull/dead/subdued when new, the coating feels weird, and the coating eventually shreds.
    To be fair, I suppose they last longer.
    Some people hate to change their strings.
    I ain't one of em'.

5. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I've been using SITs for a couple of years now, mainly because they're made locally.

I've used all the name brands at one time or another and I think the same thing about strings as I do most equipment, the better I get, the less I notice or even care.

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

That's what I'm considering.

I read a few reviews where people were saying the d'addarios were breaking when they were tuning them up so I was just curious.

I never had problems with EB until lately, used them for years. The low e and a have been going dull on me in a matter of a couple hours. Probably as a result of my chemistry so I was looking at coated strings.

Used to use elixirs bit stopped for a reason I can't remember. Probably price.

Killing Floor likes this.
  7. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

D’Addario XL 110 for decades, on all my electrics. That means different bridge and tuner configurations. I had a couple of weird premature string failures last year, but never before or since. I think it was one bad multi-pack. Given that I don’t like old strings, and change reasonably often, that’s an excellent success rate.

Tonetele likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

IMO, D'Addarios are the 'strings to beat' on both electric and acoustic guitars

- not that you can't find something you will like better,
    but D'Addario have consistency ( track record forever-reputation) in great tone, hold their tuning/longevity- great reliable strings, and cheap too.

For me on any of my electrics, it's their regular nickel wound XL 110's ( 10-46) for 30+years ( I used Ernie Ball and Fender 10's for a while too, but returned to D'Addario.

On acoustic guitars after 30+ years of sticking with D'Addarios ( either light or medium phosphor bronze)

I switched to John Pearse PB lights the last 10+ years ago. Just prefer these for a few really 'splitting -hairs' reasons,

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Tonetele and brookdalebill like this.
  9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I used Ernie Ball Primo Slinky's on my electrics, and have never had any problems, ever.
    Never broke a string.

On my acoustics, I tend to go with D'Addario Extra Lights phosphor bronze.
    Great strings, and a fantastic company for support after the sale.

;)

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I use GHS Boomers 10-38. They last a long time for me.

11. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

As long as you're switching, it might be worth your time to try a set of round-core strings and see if you like the feel. All the strings you mentioned are hexagonal core I believe.

YMMV.

If you do this, don't cut the wound strings without first kinking them. Usually this happens anyway at the tuning peg, but it's worth mentioning.

Cosmic Cowboy likes this.
  12. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

I dont care for elixer strings, but if Ive got a guitar that I know I dont play often, they stay good for a while.

Ernie Ball 11-50 for me.

13. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I don't have that problem with strings on the guitar. I believe it's because I tend to wipe them down well after playing. I do have that issue with open packs in storage.

I have a drawer full of strings. Since I do a lot of setups and nuts, it's not uncommon to break a string during the process, so I have some loose 9s and 10s, since they break more than others.

So this week I took a 9 out and noticed it had some corrosion. Since I was planning on restringing when I was done, I put the corroded string on. It snapped. I.put another on, and it snapped too. I didn't yank it. I just did some bends. This doesn't seem to happen with sealed packs, only open ones.

New Ernie Balls have corrosion resistant paper sleeves, so maybe that will be the solution. But I'm not going to count on it.
    So I got some silica gel packets and tossed them in the drawer.

14. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I used to use Rotosound or Ernie Ball back in the day, but I use D'Addario XL 110's on my electric these days.

In fact, it's all D'Addario these days.

On my acoustic I usually use D'Addario EJ26s, but I have recently found a pack of EB Earthwood phos-bronze lights in the case - I don't remember buying them, but hey, I'll give them a go next change.

My bass has been wearing the same set of D'Addario Chrome flats for about 3 years now.

15. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

The D'Addario NYXL strings do seem to stay in tune better; I've been gradually switching over. 9.5's when I can find them, otherwise 9's.

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

On electrics I used D'Addario for like 38 years then went to a .009 set and chose EB hybrid slinky because I was afraid of lighter bottom strings. Switched back to D'As recently, seems like they stay bright longer, even with lighter wound strings.
    Acoustic I moved around but generally prefer Martin strings.

Elixirs?
    Eeeeeeeewwwww, awful.

17. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In my experience D'addario XL strings like to be stretched a little more than other brands during break-in but they stay in tune and sounding new for longer than any other electric string.

I recently switched my acoustic and mandolin to D'addario Nickel Bronze, over from Ernie Ball aluminum bronze, and Nickel Bronze are easily my new favorite for both instruments. I don't see myself going away from those strings anytime soon.

PhoenixBill and Tonetele like this.
  18. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I loved Snake Oil Brand, but the guy couldn't get his production/distribution act together. They wereally head and shoulders above any string I'd ever used.

In the past several months I've tried two kinds of Ernie Ball Slinky and Cobalt, Daddario XL and NYXL, GHS Boomers and Nickel Rockers, DR Tite Fit and Pure Blues and Musicians Friend house brand, Musicians Gear.

The Dadario XLs sounded sort of dead when I put them on, and barely lasted two gigs, which had been my experience in the past.

The EB Cobalt sounded good for one gig and then the E and B became about 30% lower in volume, couldn't hear them in a chord.

GHS Nickel Rockers went dead in the middle of a set - really strange, they lost intonation too. I could tune them with a tuner dead on and any chords up the neck were out, bad.

The MF $2.50/set I liked a lot. Ballsy sounding, a slight lack of definition but at that price you can change them every weekend.

The DR Tite Fits are probably the best all around, may stick with them. Still not even close to the Snake Oils, unfortunately.

19. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

I love Elixir strings. I have the Nanowebs on 2 acoustics and 3 electrics. They don't really sluff off the coating, like the pollywebs. They sound great, stay in tune, are stable for many hours of play, and they are a smooth and quiet string. I have stayed with coated strings for years. Elixirs are my favorite.

Tonetele likes this.
  20. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

......... But they do stay dull/subdued for a long time.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.