Switching Necks

AxolotlCoyote

TDPRI Member
Thinking about getting a Baja and an extra neck and switching them out from time to time. How much of a hassle will setting it up be after the first time with each neck? Am I going to need to play with bridge height and intonation each time, shims etc? Guess it’ll depend on my tolerance to some degree but in general what would you do setup wise after switching out a neck?

Thanks!

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
It really depends on the necks. If you are lucky and they are pretty similar to each other, you might be able to get away with minimal adjustments. If they are quite different, especially if shims are involved, it will be a science project every time you swap them.

Personally, I'd just buy two different guitars and move between them. Which is why I now have 20+ guitars...

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
Some considerations here would be the fretboard radius, the fret height, neck heel thickness, and the nut slots. If those factors remain constant between 2 different necks, then swapping necks should be pretty much plug and play, without much, if any, additional set up work.

But it seems like you already found your answer....whenever in doubt, just buy more guitars

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
Thanks guys. Doesn’t sound like a great idea. Extra guitars it is - there are worse things in life.
I think this is the best solution in the long run. While switching necks can be fairly easy and straightforward, I don't think many people switch necks back and forth too often.

Plus, its fun to get a new guitar!