1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Switching It Up

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by printer2, Mar 3, 2021.

1. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Just an idea I have percolating. Rather than multiple tweaks I wanted one switch to change the nature of the sound of an amp. Or two switches, we will see. The main alteration would be to change the phase inverter from a Long Tail Pair to a Paraphase inverter. I might put in a pot to dial in the balance (or imbalance of it) or find a resistor value I like and call it a day. Along with that the first stage is changed from cathode biased to grid leak. To top it off would be to change the output fixed bias to cathode biased to loosen up the sound and shave some voltage across the output stage. Also loose the negative feedback. It would be nice to switch in some sag in the power supply but the four poles of the toggle switch are used up. Again, subject to change but a possibility.

[​IMG]

Hopefully getting a more 5D3 vibe or tightening everything up for a Blackface response. Which brings up the
    tone stack. The double pole switch can change from a scooped sound to more of a Bassman/Marshall response. The use of a three position, center off give three different flavors. Whether I go for an extra switch or just two positions with maybe the treble switch with a push-pull switch, we will see.

I need to finish an amp for someone else so this will be on the back burner for now. But it is something I thought might be presented for your enjoyment.

Nickfl and 2L man like this.
  2. printer2

And a complete left turn, I want to make a small stereo system to sit on my desk. A pair of 8" speakers, really small cabinets for them, we will see how it goes. The inspiration for this is a lightweight guitar I am building, hopefully about 2 1/2 lbs. I fumbled around trying to figure out if it was to be acoustic or electric and electric won out.

Cut out a roughly Tele shape.

[​IMG]

Cut out excessive weight, in the end I decided to eliminate the bridge pickup and will be making an aluminum bridge plate.

[​IMG]

Almost got the speaker cabinets done. I think I will stain the wood, the grill cloth is a weaved place mat from a Dollar Store. I did want to use a wider board but for some reason my mind went off to see the Queen and I cut up this one. Decided to just go ahead and try it, not like I have anything to lose. It did have me searching for thinner material for the front and back to give a little more space inside. Might have added a couple inches, the speaker probably will not notice. I think I am going to have the speaker up to the top and a vent on the bottom of the back.

[​IMG]

Have been thinking of the amplifier. I do have a pair of transformers from a stereo, the two tan looking ones that are joined together at the bottom right. But they need a little heftier transformer than a single 5W amp. The other funky tan one at the bottom is the mate to the transformers, A monstrosity from a European console stereo. But as much space as the two speakers are going to take already I don't know about a big horkin' chassis for the amp. Do I use these transformers? Do I find a more creative way of powering them? Should I split the power supply from the amplifier? Go Solid State or a preamp tube with a SS amplifier?

[​IMG]

3. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Watch for taking off too much weight from the body. Neck dive can result.

4. printer2

That was a concern. That is why I will be trying some ukulele tuners to keep the weight down.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.