1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Switches for signal chains on table top?

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by thesamhill, Oct 28, 2020.

1. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm thinking about creating a console for a tabletop to do some audio signal routing- A/B, on/off, effect loops, etc. That would allow me to tuck some pedals away, keep the floor clear, and avoid some wire clutter.

I vaguely remember reading up on some issues with signal routing- "break before make" switches for A/Bs and effect loops, buffers popping (or preventing popping?), etc. But in the end I just picked up stomp switches that were recommended by other builders and forgot about it.

Are there finger-friendly toggle switches that work best for audio signal? Can I just use whatever type I need (DPDT, etc) and/or repurpose other switches I have? Will plain ole light switches work if the switch type is correct for the purpose?

Any input appreciated.

2. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

Most switches are break before make. Give it a go but knock up a prototype first. Should help identify issues.

Probably best to keep all earths tied together but put effort into avoiding loops.

thesamhill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.