1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Switches and Knobs are where they should be on a Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Backbeat8, Aug 20, 2018.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Retuning strings on the fly depends on being able to hear yourself, and in a band setting that's sometimes so hard to achieve.

So, the trouble with practicing like crazy, making these tuning adjustments second nature; not playing out much or at all, is you get addicted to being able to make these adjustments on the fly (in a controlled environment where you can hear) and then when you finally stumble back out onto the loud bandstand, you are gonna be lost and get your butt kicked.

I've always done this subtle tuning tweaks - but I respect what guys have been trying to emphasize to me, that it is LOUD out there. You can't depend on that. On being able to do that. Can't tell you how much this holds me back.

Was watching a band consisting of some old timers, in Northern Arkansas the other day and had to leave because the mandolin player hadn't bothered to tune up and wasn't worried about it either. I couldn't stand it - we left.

2. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Ok I take this one back, I actually think the Strat is better, it's easier and I think I prefer it. However both the Strat and Tele are way better than the Gibson Les Paul, I really don't like that switch being on the top like that why would tht put it there, it makes it impossible to switch mid stroke

The Strat is positioned perfectly like that diagonally so it is like in perfect line with your up and down stroke, the Tele is perpendicular to the stroke path vector so it means you have to kind of stop mid stroke or just stop altogether and then switch BUT it is still good being down there in that region of the instrument

I can totally appreciate the thinking of how the Strat was a design improvement here, it simply is better designed for that specific purpose anyway

schmee likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Just the opposite for me. The Strat controls are where they should be. I want a Tele with the strat switch and volume placement!

Tony Forman likes this.
  4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Meh I'm missing skin from the damned strat vol knob its like whoever designed boys bikes.

5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

You started a thread about how the Tele controls are so much better and a day later you're saying the opposite? Ok!
    I don't like the ergonomics of any of Leo's designs, unfortunately. Strats are the worst in my opinion - the switch is too easy to hit while strumming, the volume BOTH gets in the way AND is hard to change on the fly, and there's no bridge tone.
    Reverse the control plate and knob functions on a tele and that's pretty close to perfect, though.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Damn Straight!!!...this is America! We don't do nuthin' "metric"!!!!!;)

Owenmoney and Backbeat8 like this.
  7. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Hey politicians contradict themselves on an hourly basis. My post did state that the controls are "where they should be" though :)
    And I stick with that, the placement on the guitar is well thought out, the placement is the same basically on the Strat but the Strat is just better I feel, for the very reason I stated I was not being able to find it, it's because the selector is very small so you just have to know where it is, then once u know it is actually good, and then it makes perfect sense because it's small enough to be out of ye way yet big enough that it's just right there when you want to engage it

You can clearly tell how much feedback they got from players when they were designing it

I imagine they went through a process of one prototype with a somewhat larger Tele shaped selector but yet had that improved "slant" positioning and slightly different location (but yet still in the same general realm as the Tele)

The point is they both have all the controls BELOW the strings which makes sense to me for changing ultra instantly

8. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

I pictured you making this comment and then casually spitting some chewing tobacco into a rusty old tin

nojazzhere and Owenmoney like this.
  9. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Ok I reverse my reversal, i think Teles are actually better for switching pups easily. It just feels like it's in the right spot but also in a general sense I feel like the Tele layout is just better because it's simpler and straightforward

I don't even know if I like having 3 pups, 2 is adequate and keeps things simple

P

10. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I find that using my Tele in the band I play in is easier than using other guitars in my collection. There again, all my Teles have a four way switch, so that adds to the versatility. Never use the controls really, unless I have to suddenly back things off, but I find I ride the switch so much. Back position cuts through, between setting gives the funk, front gives the deep, plummy stuff, and fourth position gives the full throttle.

I'm a simple guitar/cord/amp guy too, effects pedals get in the way of my dancing feet at gigs.

With guitars with LP wiring, I find the only way I can get this variety is by lowering the neck pickup, so I get a boost for solos.

Thats not to say that sometimes, I like to bust out the Lesters/humbucker guitars at gigs sometimes though.

Backbeat8 likes this.
  11. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

I find putting a Strat switch tip in a Tele makes the Tele switch a lot more manageable.

Owenmoney likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

From time to time I compare relative ergonomics of different guitar features.

I happened to have this one pretty close already for this discussion, so I tweaked a few markers.
    All models are scaled to the same scale-length nut to bridge with the Tele as the baseline.
    Red line is lining up all the nuts -- effective as if a player is holding the guitar in a Cowboy Chord.

Green fuzzy area is where I find I play each of these guitars 'naturally'. Tele my hand sometimes rests on the back of the bridge flange, Strat is over the middle pickup, and LP is setting on top of the TOM saddles. While I can move my hand on a Strat to strum like I naturally do on a Tele and get more twang from a Strat, it doesn't feel natural on a Strat.

Based on LP wear patterns on used gutiars and how everyone seems to lower the Strat middle pickup to get it out of the way, and twangs on a Tele I don't think my play patterns are much different from the majority/average player out there.

Blue lines are the distance from the strum location to the switch and volume pot(s).

Easy to see that with this pattern the Tele has the shortest path to adjust the output. I flip my Tele control plate around so a little more stretch to the switch.

GuitarErgonomics3-StrumSwitchVolume.jpg

So if applying the distance target to a Strat, an ergonomic knob location for reaching (or equivalent distance to ensure you bang your knuckles on all of them!) might look like this (orange dots as new knobs in possible control blue zone). Kind of looks like the Jazzmaster layout with a flatter control band than a Strat. Perpendicular to the as-styled layout. Just like the Strat bridge pickup probably should have angled the other way to reduce ice-pick and get more mids for the bass...

GuitarErgonomics3-StrumSwitchVolumeStratIdeal1.jpg

However, since everyone strums in different locations from Twang at the bridge to more acoustic/quack at the last frets .... the knob zone preferences stack and end up fitting best in a line for all player positions ... then the knob placements start looking a lot like a Tele control plate line ;)

GuitarErgonomics3-StrumSwitchVolumeStratIdeal2.jpg
    The ghost image of a Tele control plate is over laid.

Owenmoney and skunqesh like this.
  13. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can’t stop laughing

Iago likes this.
  14. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great post. Possibly the best I’ve ever read. I wonder how feasible might be to produce a prototype?

15. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I find Teles a little tricky to get to. SGs are the easiest.

16. Daywalker

Daywalker TDPRI Member

I prefer the reverse Tele control plate. It works better for me.

I use my volume more than the pickup selector when playing live.

17. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I always reverse the control plate and the pots, but I find that I accidentally bump into the volume pot frequently and turn it down, so I've had to develop this frequent pinky swell technique to make sure it stays wide open.

18. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

8519D3AF-8520-4F60-BF29-275CEC584E81.gif
    0C359646-7642-4664-87FA-055774D8EE1D.gif
    91509016-3CCE-4624-B291-A37186B459C0.gif
    9C8951DF-9A32-498D-B911-DF250BC53191.gif
    ACDF3C19-EC15-4AEE-83F0-FA6BD4C51AC2.gif
    Take your pick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.