1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Switchable V1 bypass cap for 5G9... would this work?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by King Fan, Sep 25, 2020.

1. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

To close the loop here, after I drew about 25 more DIYLC variants, :D I finally got around to clipping in various cap values.

Turns out I liked the 2.2uF a lot; as @dan40 says above, the 0.68 was just a bit fizzy. This amp/speaker/cab has tons of treble available; it's just that it also has just even more deep rich bass.

And then, there wasn't *as much* difference as I'd thought there would be between 2.2uF and 25uF, so I didn't feel a need to try 4.7uF for instance. Plus then clip-testing (as above) 10 v. 25, I found 10 gave me all the girth I needed.

Finally, (clang-style facepalm) I realized I had a beautiful big switch hole nicely plugged off at the standby location, and had a beautiful Carling SPST full-size switch that'd look perfect there. After a quick check with the forum, I confirmed I could run single-core shielded cable (as per @Jon Snell above -- thanks, Jon) even down there by the noisy AC / lamp / etc. Great solution especially with such a long cable run into noisy territory.

So I did it. And it works perfectly. The 2.2 uF subtracts the extra Darth Vader bass and brightens up my humbuckers and P90s; the 10uF sounds pretty darn stock and lets my Tele thump *and* twang.

IMG_5920.jpeg

IMG_5921.jpeg

jsnwhite619 and dan40 like this.
  2. King Fan

Oh, and for masochists seeking further details, this post in my follow-on thread has diagrams showing the bypass mod in context...

3. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I agree about the bypass cap values. I used to always keep 25uf & 5uf onhand, but I tried some 2uf caps a while back and I liked the difference in them better than the 5uf, but the 2's and 5's were close enough I couldn't justify having both. So, if a stock Fender 25uf cap is has too much bass, then I use a 2uf now. If the 2uf has too much bass, get rid of your Fender! :D

King Fan likes this.
  4. King Fan

Thanks, Jason. If you and @tubeswell and @dan40 are in the 2.2 Club, it's a club I’m proud to join.

Someone might ask: if 2.2uF is good, why did I keep 12.2 on a switch -- recall that 12.2 sounds like and basically graphs like stock 22 (Nichicon) or 25. My initial thinking was I always like to have an amp able to revert to its stock sound, and here I also liked the stock sound. But will I ever use it, you ask...

Last night I played my strat through the amp a long time with 'after-hours' settings -- plugged into bright at V3-4, normal about V10, guitar on 8-10. The 12.2 voice was *perfect* on some songs; the fuller bass (again, this amp never flubs out on bass) nicely balanced the strat's tenor on position 2. On other songs, or position 4 for comparison, the 2.2 voice was sometimes more balanced. And given that the volume knob was turned down, the tone knob made a useful and *nice* difference in both voices. And turning the guitar from 8 to 10 would introduce some rich creamy tweed-edged OD in both voices, but depending on the tonality of the song and the pick attack, sometimes the bass-rich version would be nicer there, too...

So the switch is a big win. I can imagine using 12.2 with high volumes, too, especially with SCs, maybe especially my lo-output Tele. One caution: This is a 5G9, not a 5E3. Really different amps. If you're looking to try a bypass-cap switch in a Deluxe, I'd for sure start with the smallest value you might want (? .68 or ??) and clip in parallel values like 1, 2.2, 4.7, at least up to 10 or more.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    D'tar and jsnwhite619 like this.
  5. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

yeah --- i'd let you make me an amp anytime :)

D'tar and King Fan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.