Switchable Impedance Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by DCW74, Oct 24, 2018.

1. DCW74

DCW74 Tele-Meister

If I want to make a 8 ohm to 16 ohm cabinet, would it be possible to just add a switchable inductor in series with my existing speaker?

For example, I have an Eminence Legend 1518. The nominal impedance is 8 ohms. DC resistance is 7.16 ohms. Resonance is 82 Hz. A 13.9 mH inductor has a resistance of 7.162 ohms at 82 Hz. So shouldn't I be able to add a DPST on/on switch in series with the inductor to double my impedance? In doing so, would I be able to keep the dynamics of my original speaker intact?

2. fmmlp

fmmlp TDPRI Member

Probably your speaker will sound different with a random inductor in series. If such inductor has a series R near 8 ohms, why not add a non inductive R of 8 ohms in series?

3. DCW74

DCW74 Tele-Meister

I'm just trying to figure out a reactive load. So I'll probably just end up sticking with a smaller speaker to put in there. I tend to make things more difficult than necessary.

4. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

DCW74 likes this.
  5. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    DCW74 likes this.
  6. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

With multiple speakers, it can be done by running the speakers in series or in parallel. I’m not sure how one would go about making a multi-impedance cabinet with only a single driver.

7. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Would an inductor rated for the power handling that you'd need be that much cheaper than an additional speaker?

As far as the speaker sounding the same, I can't imagine how it would. And even if it sounded similar enough, the amp would certainly sound different between the 8 and 16 ohm taps on the OT. What about the heat generated?

8. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

The question is why? Are you trying to go for impedance matching? Do you need the full 150 Watts possible? Is this with a solid state or

For Quick and dirty, you could just put a 150 Watt 8 ohm resistor in series to get "16 ohms." A resistor in series shouldn't have much of an affect on tone.

9. DCW74

DCW74 Tele-Meister

To answer the question of why: I just want to experiment with different ways of accomplishing the same goal. I have an equal amount of fun figuring this stuff out as I do playing with my creations.

10. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

DCW74 likes this.
  11. DCW74

DCW74 Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.