Switch wiring question

rmackowsky

TDPRI Member
Bought a cheap tele copy - upgrading the pickups. The stock wiring is shown in the pic. I’m new to tele, but from what I’ve read the pick up hot wires should be connected to lugs 2 and 3 (neck), and 6 and 7 (bridge). The stock wiring appears to be connected to lugs 1 and 2 for the neck and 7 and 8 for the bridge. Which is correct?
2717DA19-CB21-4590-89DD-C1588CCAC1A0.jpeg

rmackowsky

TDPRI Member
I think I got this figured out based on the info in the link below. If I’m correct, the stock wiring on this guitar will actually reverse which pickup is active in each position - left would be bridge, middle both, right neck. Correct?

rmackowsky

TDPRI Member
Your images indicate using the last two lugs on each side (1/2 and 7/8) but the image I linked to shows 2/3 and 6/7?

A3DD772E-6132-42E6-A59D-8054D23C1F1B.jpeg

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
I agree, but did it not work the way it was ?? As I asked earlier.

I guess I don't understand why you are questing doing something different
when wiring up new pups?

Sometimes a person might wire it backward, if that's the case, or flip the switch around in the control plate when they reverse the plate to have the tone and vol. control forward.

Last edited:

rmackowsky

TDPRI Member
Honestly I didn’t even try the stick pickups, so don’t know if switching works. Was just going to upgrade immediately. Guess I’ll plug it in and see.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Take several close-up photos of the current wiring before you rip it all apart. Since you're new to this stuff, it will greatly help you if you run into a jam.

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
Honestly I didn’t even try the stick pickups, so don’t know if switching works. Was just going to upgrade immediately. Guess I’ll plug it in and see.
Right on. I guess it's doubtful it was a non-functioning deal as is.

Four wires to solder................what could go wrong :p:p

Sure there are various schemes to wiring switches, tone pots, etc., but pickups (brand/type) don't care, as long as the 1-2-3 are in the order that floats ur boat.

Do keep us posted.

rmackowsky

TDPRI Member
Take several close-up photos of the current wiring before you rip it all apart. Since you're new to this stuff, it will greatly help you if you run into a jam.
Thanks. Not really new to wiring, just tele wiring. Seems much simpler than 5 way strat switch.

rmackowsky

TDPRI Member
Ran through it in my head, and realized that it doesn't matter if the hot wires are connected to 7/6 vs 8/7, or 1/2 vs 2/3. The graphic I posted (with the red dots) shows that. Works either way.