Switch to a Thinline Classic ‘72?

paperman

TDPRI Member
Hi everyone, I have the chance to get a 2008 Thinline ‘72 Classic series trading my 2007 Classic ‘50 for a 200 USD extra.
What do you think about this guitar?
I practice always at home (blues and classic rock), and due to the little free time available I can say I’m still a beginner….. so….
I like very much the thinline but I don’t know if is more difficult to play compared with the “simple” Tele.
And what about the sound? Single coil instead Humbucker?
Is this worth it?
Thank you, Alberto.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
It shouldn’t be any more difficult.

But personally I would just stay with the basic tele, it’s a classic sound and more versatile. The double HB 72s (thinline or deluxe) are kind of not really teles aside from the name and the body shape.

Additionally the humbuckers are like Gibson humbuckers, they’re not real wide range humbuckers. And Gibson style humbuckers on fenders also never sound like a Gibson with humbuckers because of the fender scale length being longer and brighter. So you end up with this thing that is really neither here nor there.

I would just wait and buy an SG or LP style guitar at some point if you really want that sound in addition to your tele. And those classic 50s teles are also getting expensive on the used market since they’re rarer than a standard, so you might have to pay more than you bought it for to get it back later.

Last edited:

mimmo

Friend of Leo's
This ^

I you feel the need for a different sound, just add a new guitar. 50s classic teles are very nice guitars in every respect and are capable of everything one could ask a Telecaster.

Adding a different flavoured tele is nice, replacing the 50s tele I am afraid you would regret it.

Martocaster

Tele-Meister
I agree with the others, if you want to buy or trade a guitar then you should do it because you want to, and you know what features you’re looking for. This just sounds like you’re tempted because it seems like a good deal, I’d stick with what you have.

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I have both the Classic 50s and the '72 Thinline RI. They are quite different and I have played and gigged both a lot. I agree that you should not sell the Classic 50s. It is a standout among the MIM Teles. I really like the HBs on the Thinline even though they are not the same as the originals. Play it and see if you like it. Our opinions are only that.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I have regretted almost every trade/sale I have made. Adding to the stable is much safer than getting rid of a perfectly good brown horse just to have a white one you may not be able to ride.

I have both vintage and newer Thinlines, both with WRHBs. I like them both for different reasons. Obviously the reissue WRHBs are not the same as the vintage ones, they still sound good. I wouldn't call it a Gibson or generic HB tone as others would, because it plays differently and scale/construction are different. But both are vastly different than your current classic Tele. You would be trading an apple for an orange.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I have an ’06 Classic '72 Thinline and I love it. Love the thick U neck. The 2008 you are considering will have the old pre-revoiced "fake" WRHBs, just like my 2006. They are looked down upon for not sounding like the originals, but they're fine if you stop making comparisons. A bit thicker and rounder than traditional Tele pickups. To me they sound best with added gain at the amp, and then guitar volume rolled down to clean up.

People will argue this online, but I definitely can hear the "air" around the notes that a Thinline body provides. They're cool guitars.

There's nothing more difficult about the Thinline than a standard Tele. Just different pickups, but same three way switch. I assume your 50s is a 7.25 radius with vintage frets... In that regard it would feel similar to the Thinline, minus the neck profile (not sure what shape the 50s is).

Like many of the other psychos on this thread, I'm more in favor of adding a guitar than swapping a guitar, at least until you get a handle on the new one. Too easy to set yourself up for regret otherwise. Good luck!

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
I have both vintage and newer Thinlines, both with WRHBs. I like them both for different reasons. Obviously the reissue WRHBs are not the same as the vintage ones, they still sound good. I wouldn't call it a Gibson or generic HB tone as others would, because it plays differently and scale/construction are different. But both are vastly different than your current classic Tele. You would be trading an apple for an orange.
I have an ’06 Classic '72 Thinline and I love it. Love the thick U neck. The 2008 you are considering will have the old pre-revoiced "fake" WRHBs, just like my 2006. They are looked down upon for not sounding like the originals, but they're fine if you stop making comparisons. A bit thicker and rounder than traditional Tele pickups. To me they sound best with added gain at the amp, and then guitar volume rolled down to clean up.

side note, i never knew why they've futzed around with so many PAF style revisions for the voicing. i would think a firebird alnico bar mag style pickup in PAF size would be the easiest/cheapest solution to getting most of the way to the WRHB sound and be one-and-done for them.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
side note, i never knew why they've futzed around with so many PAF style revisions for the voicing. i would think a firebird alnico bar mag style pickup in PAF size would be the easiest/cheapest solution to getting most of the way to the WRHB sound and be one-and-done for them.

Dunno. I do know not everyone prefers the old WRHBs. They can be pretty intimidating when you first try them. I suppose the new ones were just designed by committee - trying to appeal to everyone - which is an impossibility. I have the cheap ones in a Squier Thinline and I love them.

Fenderdad1950

Friend of Leo's
Welcome from Albuquerque New Mexico USA. I suggest you try playing it first. The sound difference .... a Thinline is definitely different than a regular Tele. It has a strange hollowness ( harmonic ?) which makes me like a regular Tele

fretknot

TDPRI Member
While the Thinline '72 is a well-made guitar, I couldn't bond with it. The smaller 'vintage' frets and 7.25" radius were too light for my taste. I'm more comfortable with a minimum 9.5" radius and medium or medium-jumbo frets. I thought humbuckers would be a good thing on a Telecaster, but it didn't have the spank of the single coil versions. I sold it quickly after acquiring it and putting it through its paces. Just wasn't for me. I like the basic Tele arrangements, including the Nocaster, Esquire, Broadcaster, and 50s Telecasters.

Last edited:

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Had both, i'd keep yours all day long. Some like the wide range humbuckers but i have tried a bunch including 2 boutique versions and the only one i liked sounded like a regular humbucker, not a fender wide range. The rest all suffered from muddy wound strings and tinny high strings. I could tune my amp for one of the other but not both. In a live mix the lows would get buried. Had 2 classic 50s and loved them. I still kick myself for selling them but i had my reasons. No desire to ever own another 72 thinline. Had the squier version too and same problem. Also had a real 72 back in the 70s and i remember loving the tone so much, thats why i ot the 2 i just mentioned in recent times. But they are very different. Now if you wanna buy the real WRHB clones fender is now making at something like $500 for the set, maybe that would work but no experience with those. In any case i'd keep the C50's. Those are awesome, and be sure you are considering dumping it NOT because you are just grown used to it and are not remembering how good it is. Those are the guitars u sell then kick yourself daily ever since.

paperman

TDPRI Member
Thank you guys for yours answers.... I will follow your suggestion not to sell the Classic '50 (which I like very much anyway). In the next weeks I will try the sound of the Thinline... and I'll try to figure out if it could be a (second) guitar for me. I will let you know!
Alberto

sonny wolf

Friend of Leo's
It's all personal and based on taste but if the 50s Tele you have is a good guitar then I would keep it...a classic style Tele is an essential guitar in any guitar collection.That said the 72 reissue is a very nice guitar but a departure from what a classic Tele is all about...the 72 Thinline is like a Telecaster and a Gibson 335 had a baby.I own an AVRI 72 Thinline and love it but it is not a traditional Tele at all...it still twangs but with a thicker and throatier voice.If you can keep the 50s and and add the 72 to your collection that would be ideal.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
Yep- I agree with most - keep that classic 50's- they are really nice- the thinline 72 is a good one too but if you have one tele it is not the one

Tele295

Poster Extraordinaire
full
When we went from a 4 piece down to a 3-piece in my old bar band, I couldn’t really use my Esquire anymore. I’d switch between a regular tele with (Barden) neck pup, PRS, and a Les Paul. Finally found the one guitar that covered all that ground and still felt right in my hands. It was the MIM 72ri Thinline. Great guitar, but even better with a Bigsby, baby!

Last edited: