1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Switch tips

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Chipss36, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

F0AA1C62-3C55-4ED6-91C2-E1E1CF8CDF47.jpeg 73715045-5850-4E14-A596-3CF886B5170D.jpeg Anyone else have issues with the plastic tele switch tips falling off, breaking, not fitting well on crl switches? I have been through a few of them now, are the older bake light type better at staying on?

seems the bridge or neck position pushes the knob up and hits the control plate,
    Next it flys off at the worst of times..

Don’t have this issue with a strat...
    Currently using a ritters dome with a set screw...I kinda like it.
    For sure stays put.

brookdalebill likes this.
  2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Just put a strip of masking tape over the top of the switch and it will stay on.

hemingway, Chipss36 and eallen like this.
  3. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Just put a small piece of double sided tape over the top of the control switch, then slide the tip on.

Chipss36 likes this.
  4. NotJoeTelecaster

NotJoeTelecaster TDPRI Member

I like the look of the metal switch tip in your first pic. I have never seen one of those before

Alamo and Chipss36 like this.
  5. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

See how thin the plastic is at the ends of the slot? That's where it gets broken. I suppose a crack there can be glued together if you have the dexterity and motor skills of a surgeon, which I don't.

[​IMG]

The only barrel knob that I currently use came from a 2004 Squier made in Indonesia. Instead of being hollow around the slot, it's a solid piece of plastic with a "+" in it that will fit either a "US" or "import" switch. That's on one Telecaster, and my others have Strat tips on their switches.

Chipss36 likes this.
  6. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I use strat switch tips on tele's. It's an improvement.

7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I use glue. I mean why would I ever take it off?

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I remedy that problem by moving the selector switch to the “Les Paul” position, and using a Gibson type switch.

9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

So's the strat's body shape.

...but you didn't hear that from me, OK? :)

8trackmind likes this.
  10. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

+1 for Rutters

IMG_4039.jpg

Alamo and Chipss36 like this.
  11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Interesting pickguard. Is that a WD Music .09" single-ply?

12. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I've got two right now that cut in and out. Only one of my four tele's has the tip still intact. Just need to take them apart and do some cleaning and maintenance. Ugh...

13. moosie

To keep the plastic tip on, I've used tape, but it gets icky over time. I have better luck using CA glue. No, I don't glue the tip on... Apply either a small blob (if you have thick glue), or a thin layer (thin glue), and let it dry. Best is to make it a bit too bulky, then one pass with a bit of sandpaper, and you've got a nice snug fit. You can remove and replace the tip as much as you need to, without it loosening.

I'm talking about the 50s round tip. Does anyone actually like the tall 60s tip? That thing gets in the way, big time...

I like the Rutters tip, but not so much the heavy, domed knurl. I wonder if he'd make me a top with the 60s flat-top, fine knurl...

14. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

A small blob of hot glue just under the skirt sticking to the metal switch tang does it for me on my Affinity Strat that came with a Tele switch. It was a body, neck, and pieces in a shoe box. Missing among the pieces was a bridge, middle pickup (hate those anyway) and switch tip. The closest thing I had in my spares bucket of plastic knobs and gewgaws was too loose, and I don't like to squirt CA glue around willy-nilly, so hot glue was the next best thing. Works fine, and if it ever needed to come off, I know it won't put up too much of a fuss.

15. moosie

Hah, philosophical difference. You don't want to "squirt CA willy-nilly", but you like hot glue.

I tend to use CA a LOT, for many things, both to stick things together, and not. I use it through those teeny whip tips from StewMac. Very accurate, and contrary to popular belief, doesn't cure all that quickly. Unless accelerant is used.

Hot glue on the other hand, CAN be used to fix just about anything. But 'can' and 'should' are two very different things...

I'm just messin' with you, you know that, right? :)

My wife appears not to pay any attention to my projects, and my work, but she seems to know just how to poke at my 'philosophies'. She thinks my role in life is as the 'repairer of cheap, tiny things'. Like 10 cent plastic toys, and costume jewelry. I probably fix a hundred little things a year, between her and the grandkids. I'm their hero :lol:

But if she sees me using hot glue, on some otherwise hopeless quest, she gives me a hard time, like I could really have done it with a bit more class... Dang, that's annoying.

16. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

HA! Caught that, did you? :lol: Perhaps I should explain...

The last 3 times I used CA glue, it went everywhere I didn't want it to, and cured very quickly. :cry:
    The last 3 times I used CA gel, it didn't cure at all :(
    The last 3 times I used hot glue, it stuck right where I wanted it and not anywhere else :cool:

Maybe I just need me some of those "whip tip" thingummybobbers... o_O
    As further indication of my character, I must confess I shielded my last guitar by sticking down heavy-duty aluminum foil with (drum roll please...) rubber cement! How ya like them apples? :D

SuprHtr, LutherBurger and moosie like this.
  17. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

I believe so, but can't remember off hand for sure. I sourced parts from a bunch of places for that build.

18. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I use a white switch tip on a blackguard BSB.

It's been a tough few months and I'm still in hiding. I thought the fuss would die down and I could live a fairly normal life. But it seems no one is ready to forgive.

I see pitchforks in the distance and smell their torches . . .

tubegeek likes this.
  19. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I rarely use plastic on my switch tips or knobs.I love when they match,like the 1st picture.

20. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

+1 on this...easier to catch from the bridge position + stay on better imo

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.