switch knob

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Apr 30, 2018.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The tophat knob for my pickup selector fell off my custom shop nocaster on the weekend and it seems to be broken inside for some reason. I'll have to order a replacement. Is it basically the same as what goes on any Tele or is there a certain part # I need?

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Same as any Tele.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There are a few Fender Tele switch tip designs, depending on the era. I don't know exact transition dates, but the earliest was the small round cap, with a small lip on the top (making it a very shallow cup). Then came the same thing, with no lip. The top hat came later, perhaps early 60s.

None of these are going to be special for a Custom Shop, but I'm surprised your Nocaster didn't come with the round one, since it's more appropriate for that era.

I'm not here to tell you that your guitar is 'wrong', though. Just that if you order "a switch tip", you need to specify which type.

When it arrives, if it's loose on the shaft, try coating the shaft with a thin layer of CA (super glue). LET IT DRY, and then slip the tip on. If it's too thick now, a bit of sandpaper will make it just perfect.

4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Just make sure the new one is "U.S." spec. "Import" switch tips have smaller slots and won't fit.

(I prefer Strat switch tips.)

Andy B and nojazzhere like this.
  5. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mine is the round version, and it's supposed to be a Nocaster RI according to Fender, so I'd get the round as well.

6. Old Tele Hack

Old Tele Hack Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but, does anyone make a pickup-selector knob w/a set screw?

bassetman likes this.
  7. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I don't remember which of these guys make the set-screw knob, but its either Rutters or Glendale.

8. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

9. Old Tele Hack

10. Old Tele Hack

Ouch $25??? I don't mean to be cheap, but, that's like Harley parts prices!! ;-)

ftbtx likes this.
  11. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm probably going to order one for my Wildwood 52 thin skin. I figure what I've got in to my 52 and my master built Nocaster a $25 part is nothing. For someone that buys budget guitars I can understand that being expensive.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Expensive, but Marc's machining is not your average off the shelf part. Tiny artworks.

13. Old Tele Hack

I don't really play "budget" guitars, but, $25 a knob is expensive, and seeing as I have 3 teles, I was planning to buy one for each. May just stick with what I've got on the other two for now, and only replace the knob on the Elite, as that's the one that won't stay on. That, or wrap some athletic tape around the end of it. :)

14. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Yeah I agree tele X 3 can get expensive. I'm just considering it on one of mine. I've kind of modded the appearance of it already, with a custom pickguard and I'm currently having a custom neck made for it so I figure that a custom switch knob would look cool. By the time it gets to me with shipping and conversion to Canadian dollars it will be more like $50 or more.

15. Old Tele Hack

I'm just interested in the blessed thing staying on the guitar like it should, and the switch not cutting me anymore when I reach down to grab it in the middle of a tune, jam it hard and draw blood that I don't notice until our female singer says "ew!".... ;-)

16. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Strat switch tip. They stay put. They give a smidge more room between the switch and the knobs too. Win all round.

17. Long_Ghost

Long_Ghost Tele-Meister

+1 for Rutters.

18. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

19. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

An old suggestion on this forum to solve the problem of switch tips falling off, is to make indentations on the side of the switch lever with cutters. The serrated edge should hold the switch tip firm.

20. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

Old thread I know. I buy the Fender brand original parts from Musician's Friend. I have about a dozen or so. I keep a few in the case as well. I have only had one come off in decades, but the original parts are inexpensive and available enough that keeping spares just makes sense to me.

Even cheaper is the All Parts version.. it is extremely close (but not identical) to the original Fender design. I buy the open bowl top round (barrel) tips that are typical of the earliest Tele designs. Also, the similar barrel style with the rounded top is commonly available. I just prefer those shapes to the "top hat" shape. I like the barrel look and they are easier to use for me.

I agree that the Tele switch tip designs are at higher risk of coming off than a Strat tip or a Les Paul tip. I find that "switching technique" plays a part in keeping that tip on as well. I tend to grab the top of the switch tip so there is always a bit of light downward pressure applied.

But as long as you have cheap spares, then no worse than a broken string or pick IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.