Switch cut out

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by StringSinger, Aug 17, 2019.

1. StringSinger

StringSinger TDPRI Member

Hey everyone,

I’m wondering if anyone has some insight here. I have a Nash that’s based on the 72 Custom Tele. So it’s got LP style switch. It’s been cutting out on the neck pickup and sometimes just partially. So it may be totally silent or just where the output is lower with the highs rolled off. Tapping the pick guard and/or working the switch back and forth quickly can eliminate the problem temporarily. I pulled the pick guard tonight and the wiring looks fine and I did a continuity test with a meter and it seems good.

Anyway does anybody have a thought as to what might be the issue or something to try regarding a fix? My dealers repair guy is out until next week and I was hoping to fix it for a rehearsal tomorrow.

2. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sounds it need to be lubricated? With those switches, you can visually see what it’s doing. I guess you tell replacing it is right out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kingvox

kingvox Tele-Meister

Sounds like an accidental grounding issue. Make sure that the tabs on the switch are not even remotely close to any bare wires or any metal that is grounded. When you move the switch and it pushes the tab out, it's probably contacting something that's shorting it to ground.

StringSinger likes this.
  4. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

You could try cleaning the switch contacts with a piece of paper, too.

StringSinger likes this.
  5. StringSinger

StringSinger TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies I cleaned the switch and unsoldered all the contacts clipped, stripped and resoldered. Fixed it I think it was a ground issue of some sort but it just wasn’t obvious.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.