swells with volume knob

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by jwmanz, Oct 9, 2017.

1. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

I would like to downsize my pedal board and the my volume pedal is a large, underutilized pedal. However, it is really handy when I need to do some ambient swells. I just can't seem to pull off a swell fast enough on my Tele. I guess this is a bit of a silly question, any tips to pulling off swells with my volume knob?

2. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Hmmm...I just wrap my pinky around the vol knob - never been an issue, but then again my fingers are a foot long.

Practice is the key.

3. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

Yeah, I do have a short pinky. And I feel like the taper on the volume is too long to get it from 0 to 10 in one motion.

4. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

For clean finger swells, the pot MUST have 'smooth/low-resistance' rotation. If there's a felt washer under the pot knob, think about removing it, and definitely "lube" the pot guts for cleanliness and reduced friction.

5. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

I just roll across my pinky and ring finger. After doing it for many years, I've learned to accurately hammer (and mute) as I want with my fretboard hand. Takes some practice, but no big deal.

6. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

Have you considered flipping your control panel so the volune is closer to the bridge?

Modernelove and Modman68 like this.
  7. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

Ok, another stupid question, but do the silver knobs just come off if I pull hard enough? I'm at work at the moment so I can't reach for my guitar.

8. jwmanz

jwmanz Tele-Meister

Is it as simple as unscrewing the panel and flipping it or the wires need to be re-soldered?

9. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

It matters how it's wired right now and how much slack there is. You could open it up and just see if you have enough slack in the wires to move things around. You'll want to remove the pots and switch from the control plate, flip the plate, then see if you can move things where you want them without re-soldering. Don't forget to flip the switch so the pickup positions make sense.

10. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

There's a set-screw in the side of the metal silver knurled knob.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

It is the main reason I have the reverse control plate, but nevertheless, I still like my volume pedal for awesome swells and fade outs. Keep the tank and I know it can't be as large or heavy as my Fender Classic RI.

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Like any other technique, have you practiced it?

Or did you just try it a few times and felt it wasn't working out?

You certainly may need a new/different volume pot, but like any other skill on the guitar, it takes time to master.

Before you start changing things, just work on it as part of your practice routine for a week, and then if it's not what you want it to be, think about a hardware change. Even if you go that route, you will have improved your skill at it.

13. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

You need a Strat! It's the only thing it does better than a Tele. My short fingers are just not comfortable on a Tele when doing swells, even with the control plate flipped.

14. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

In this video, Bill Kirchen describes how to flip the control plate, exchange the volume and tone knobs, and flip the selector switch. It sounds easy to do! He also demonstrates his volume swell technique after switching everything around.

15. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Practice IS the "key" of course.
    But some things may be helpful. Different knob knurls, different pots, flipped control plate -all may give you the feel you need for improved practice.
    One tip I got from a VERY skillful player might help:
    Make sure you pick the strings SOLIDLY before rolling the swell up. This may need to be a sort of exaggerated attack. The strings need to be hit hard enough that they'll be ringing well as your roll the volume up. Otherwise you loose sustain before the swell effect is realized.
    (I haven't practiced this enough to excel at it, -but practice and a firm, controlled attack do seem key...)

MickM likes this.
  16. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Keep your volume pedal.

BuckSatan likes this.
  17. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I reversed the control plate so it is volume , tone, switch , so I could do swells with my small finger.

I have a volume pedal but it is huge as you said, and I dont like the travel on the pedal to get the effect i want ,I may have to adjust the rise of the pot so the motions are not so animated to use it.

18. Budda45ftw

Budda45ftw Tele-Meister

Yep. Also consider getting a log taper pot.

19. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I use my "slow gear" function on my Boss GT-1. Of course, there is an individual pedal, the Boss Slow Gear SG-1.

I demo'd the slow gear of my GT-1 here: (Go straight to 1:13)

Good luck!

20. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Granted, I can't actually do swells without touching the volume pot, but I never touch it. No volume pedal. I'm a rock guy by default. I vary volume by pedals and pick attack.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.