1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sweetwater Used?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Anyone have any experience with the Sweetwater used marketplace?
    https://www.sweetwater.com/used/
    I just discovered this. There is a pretty good amount of merchandise on there. It looks like they do not charge a commission, but also do not offer any service or involvement in the transaction. So it's more like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. Just a way to connect buyers and sellers, then it's up to them.

2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I looked at it once when it was first up and running. It looked kinda shady to me. Not that Sweetwater is shady. Like you said, they have very little involvement. What I saw when I looked at it was a bunch of banged up and crappy stuff that was WAY overpriced. Meaning most of it was priced at or above what it cost to buy new, and it was pretty thrashed. Maybe it’s better now.

stormsedge likes this.
  3. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

Weird, I don't see how having something problematic like that benefits Sweetwater.

fendrguitplayr likes this.
  4. Marc Morfei

Sweetwater seems to be universally regarded as highly reputable. So I want to trust this is a good option. But the fact that they are completely hands-off, other than hosting the listings, I suppose puts it entirely on buyers/sellers. If you meet someone in person I guess it's no different than Craigslist. But if you're having something shipped, it looks like you have no protection if something goes wrong. Hopefully someone will chime in who has direct experience with it.

5. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Sweetwater is not selling anything ?

6. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

It's basically mail order Craigslist. You're on your own if you get scammed. Stay away.

uriah1 and tery like this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ditto

8. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

Can't deal with Sweetwater. Tried to buy an Ibanez case for my Ibanez guitar and apparently there's some import bs that means they can't send it to me and Ibanez is "very strict" about it.

It's not like anybody is selling that case here.

9. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

I've used their Gear Exchange to sell things. They take a pretty good-sized commission, but they sold everything I brought them (via Ebay, I believe), for the expected price or better. They did the packing and shipping.

When I've looked into their corner of the Sweetwater store, I've seen quite a range of items, from basically brand-new to store clearance items to lonesome ornery and mean.

This is not the same as the Used Marketplace, which is just a place where anybody can post an ad and ask any price for any beat up item.

D.H.

Gear Exchange | Sweetwater.com

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  10. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Just took a quick look: saw a Tascam DP-32SD 'Like New' for $489.

A new one costs $499, from Sweetwater proper.

Use at your own peril

11. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Gear exchange and used marketplace not the same. Online/mail order Craigslist is the best description and Sweetwater benefits by providing this on their site and making clear that they take no responsibility or fees (not problematic). It drives traffic to their site, which is very valuable to them. Like everywhere, some overpriced junk and some decent deals. As with everywhere, the good deals get snapped up while the overpriced stuff sits, giving the impression when browsing that everything is overpriced.

tery and Dave Hicks like this.
  12. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

I sold an amp through the Used Gear Marketplace - I took the pictures, wrote the ad and delivered the item. No commission to Sweetwater, they just served as a bulletin board for the ad, much like the ads on online forums.

D.H.

13. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Your problem is with Ibanez, not Sweetwater.

Marc Morfei and beanluc like this.
  14. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

It benefits them when price shoppers see the slim cost delta btwn used and new. I've about stopped buying used unless the item looks mint and is priced well below new. My dollar2ninety8;).

tonyp145 and capgun like this.
  15. capgun

capgun Tele-Meister

This. Too many people want too close to new price for their “like new :lol:“ junk. It just makes sense to pay the few extra dollars for new.

Capgun

tonyp145 and stormsedge like this.
  16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’ve listed a few items on the SUM but none have ever sold. The only times I was ever contacted about my items were from scammers, so I don’t list on there anymore.

17. Askwhy

Askwhy Tele-Meister

Dude that wasn't a scam. My uncle really does live right by you for easy pickup.

18. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

If you get food poisoning from a Big Mac, you don't blame the cow.

19. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

Bad analogy. Does not apply.

20. Marc Morfei

OK, so what I have learned from comments so far is that used marketplaces are scams and it is dumb to buy used gear. Got it.
    Nevertheless, I went ahead and bought an item on the Sweetwater Used site. A Roland Blues Cube Hot for $300 (they retail for $499). I paid the guy by Paypal, and he shipped it today and gave me the Fedex tracking number. I'll let you know how it turns out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.