Sweetwater Refuses To Take My Order - Officially Done!!!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by noah330, Dec 14, 2017.

1. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I had been a customer at Sweetwater for about fifteen years and have made some substantial purchases from them (ProTools HD system, high end monitors, guitars, etc...). For years I had a really good sales engineer who was knowledgable and easy to deal with. Orders were always handled well, etc....

As of today I am no longer a Sweetwater customer. Their customer service has really changed over the last five or six years. These days it seems it's more about delivering the spiel and the constant phone calls than it is about actually getting orders right or giving good advice.

Last year I called and left a message for my "sales engineer" when my PTHD was expiring. With HD the renewal plan is $399/yr but if you miss the date it's $999 a year, a $600 difference.

Before this I was already kind of annoyed with the "sales engineer" because he wasn't that good at giving me information. A few months before I had been running a version of HD that didn't run some plugins he sold me (no returns on those!) and had ended up buying a new Mac, external PCIe chassis, etc... to get everything working. Following that they sold me a patchbay that has some weird issues and it's been sitting in my closet ever since because my support emails are either vague or not responded to.

Anyway, last year after my subscription lapsed because my calls weren't returned I finally got a hold of this guy - or I should say he must have needed some sales because he started blowing up my phone.

Considering the situation I figured Sweetwater could pull some strings with Avid and say they didn't process my order and get me the $399 deal. I was only about a week out of plan. No deal, it can't be done - but we can renew you for $999! I asked over and over and the SE wouldn't even pretend like he would try to help me. Keep in mind Sweetwater is a HUGE Avid dealer and they dropped the ball on this.

I refused the $999 upgrade, sent a couple messages to Avid via Facebook and was able to get the $399 deal. The only caveat was that I had to renew over the phone.

So it's been a year and I figure I'll call Sweetwater and offer them my business. Once again, my plan is almost up and I wanted this done today. I call the number and spend about 15 minutes with some other guy who answers the phone getting the speech about the great service, how the staff are all musicians, etc.... Finally I tell him look, I want to place this order and give you guys another chance.

He flat out refuses to process my order because he's not my assigned sales engineer. I tell him I never want to talk to the guy who has messed up a bunch of orders on me/given me bad advice. Just give me someone new.

No deal. Thanks for the call but they don't want the order.

Did a quick Google search and got the upgrade from Alto Music - with a 10% off coupon. Punched in my card info and they sent me a code. No emails asking me to call so they could up sell me, no 10 followup calls emails. Just what I want delivered at a great price very quickly.

Oh, you can be sure that about ten minutes after placing the order my assigned SE sent me an email saying he had talked to his buddy and was ready to assist me! I'm sure I'll be getting calls in the next few days.

Goodbye Sweetwater. I'm sure I'll buy the occasional sale item from them but after 15+ years I can say I've had enough.

dr_tom, Felino, Teleterr and 7 others like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Good for you in standing your ground....you gave them one more chance than I would have.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Wait, some pay 1000 for what, again? To many acronyms
    Software updates?

Thin69 and radiocaster like this.
  4. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I don't even have a clue what you're talking about but I understand your frustration. The number of places that can kiss my ass grows daily at an alarming rate.

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

'Sales engineer' ffft, ain't no engineering in sales, sound like some made up Georgia Tech term.

Wildcard_35, 7171551, tery and 6 others like this.
  6. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

I’ve been dealing with ZZounds for close to a year now. I know, they don’t carry a lot of brands other outfits do. But their payment options are awesome. No credit checks. I just purchased an amp, will be here tomorrow. 12 monthly payments, no interest. What I am getting at-they are outstanding! In every way too. No follow up phone calls. They respond to my emails within hours, if not minutes. They contacted Dunlop on my behalf regarding a warranty issue. They upgraded my amp to free two day air because I was so excited to get it.
    Sorry for the hijack. What I’m getting at is that there are other fish in the pond so if Sweetwater isn’t doing it, move along.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    tonytrout and String Tree like this.
  7. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

^ I've bought a bunch of stuff from them and AMS. I generally just pay but they have some good stuff. I wish they had better recording gear.

PTHD is the higher end ProTools product. It costs $399/yr for a subscription. If you let your subscription lapse it costs $999 to reinstate it.

Since the majority of my income is derived from using that software it's worth the $399/yr.

troy2003 likes this.
  8. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Number 1 rule in business is look after your return customers. They lost, you won!

9. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow, that's amazing to hear that they wouldn't take your order. Bizarre!

10. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

Life is too short. Keep the list of KMA'ers to things you suffered/can verify.

It's why I stopped watching cable news...slander hour.

Rod Parsons and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Last year I walked out of one of the last mom and pop shops around here here because they refused to let me make a cash purchase without giving them my name, phone number and email for "their data base". Two weeks ago, I left an amp sitting on the counter of the smaller of 2 local GCs because no one would take my money, the manager instead of just ringing me up kept calling over the intercom for a sales associate to come up front and help me. No one did and the manager just walked away after about 7 minutes, so i walked away too. I wish I had people trying to give me money all day, I have go out there and get it the hard way.

NilsZippo, drlucky, MA6200 and 3 others like this.
  12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I lost as well. For a lot of years they were great to deal with.

13. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

I had a step grandfather that died about about 15 years ago. We all thought he was just a mean, old, crotchety bastard that the world had passed by.

A year or so ago, my brother and I were having a few drinks and we got to talking about grandpa. We both now think he was a genius. Quite possibly the smartest man that ever lived!

14. h4ck.b0x7

h4ck.b0x7 Tele-Holic

I normally avoid phone calls from any number I don’t recognize but I ESPECIALLY avoid Indiana numbers!!

MA6200 likes this.
  15. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Wow! Thanks crazy. I’ve ordered a lot of stuff from Sweetwater and haven’t had any problems but if I had to deal with what you just dealt with...Forget it.
    Glad you were able to get what you needed elsewhere though.

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I think I've told this story before but I will repeat it.
    Several years ago I wanted a White Blonde AV64. Sweetwater happened to have several, one of which had a beautiful grain and great weight. There were other AV64 from other site which were nice but this one was the best (in terms of aesthetics) so I contacted Sweetwater. I was only interested in one thing: what was the best price they could give me. I get this hemming and hawing about service and then the says let me get to back to you. He calls and wants to make sure I'm picking the right guitar for my needs, playing styles, etc. He was extremely presumptuous and arrogant. I explained that I knew exactly what I was looking for; was an experienced player and didn't require any additional advice or assistance. Again, he needs to get back to me. Contacts me again and says yeah, they can do 15% off list but the guitar in question had been sold. None of the other guitars were acceptable.
    I called the next dealer on my list, and politely asked what was his best price. Instantly I was told a price (which was a 15% discount). Sold! Easy peasy.
    Sweetwater is all hat and no cattle in my book. I wouldn't buy a set of strings from them. They can keep their candy and their catalogs and 50 point inspection.

Bones likes this.
  17. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I guess I just don’t think like some folks here.

In all my years on many different forums I have never felt the need to go on a forum to vent about a product, manufacturer or business. Whatever problem I had, I dealt with it, and when it was over there was never a need on my part to get internet validation for what I did.

tintag27, NilsZippo, xafinity and 5 others like this.
  18. luckett

luckett Banned

Did Alto Music send you any candy?

Danjabellza likes this.
  19. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Nope. Number 1 rule is get new customers to screw. Notice that it's the new customers that get the special introductory offers? Loyal, 10 year customers are taken for granted.

drlucky, xafinity and ruger9 like this.
  20. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

It sounds like you never needed them anyway. You got renewal without their help and then you got the discounted renewal without their help. When they said "we are all musicians" that sends up red flags. I don't need or want that salesman to be a musician. They might know the value of their stuff too well. If I need advice, I will find a guitar tech.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.