1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sweetwater offering Plek'd Squier CV '50's

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Danomo, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

For an extra $100.

Interesting way to advertise their new plek'er.

Honestly, the CV '50's I've played, have had such nice necks... I'm wondering: "Why"?

2. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

IMO $100 seems a little steep for a robot to being doing a little work on a ~$370 guitar. I'd be all over that, if they were selling them Plek'd for an even $400

Also, i'm much more interested in the vintage blonde, because of the A3 pickups, but they dont seem to offer that one plek'd

3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

The Plek machine will be snoozing on the job as there's not much to do on a CV.

100 bucks isn't much for a plek job.
    if I could find that kinda of deal for my Fender Lite Ash I'd be happy.

4. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Well, considering that no one is really dealing prices on CV's of late, and that a full plek job starts at $225 in the Chicago market, I'd say hundred dollars is pretty darned good (about the same most good shops charge for a human performed fret level/crown job) out of the box.

And...

While you are allowed to shorten a quoted post, you are not permitted to modify the meaning per the forum rules.

5. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

For 100 bucks the better swap the Squire decal too :p

6. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

The CVs that I have, [White blonde CV 50,.. CAR CV-50 Strat,.. and a LP Blue CV 60s' P Bass], don't need no stinkin' plecking. The great fret jobs are one of the 'close to perfect' things about the CVs, imo. Unless the quality has gone down recently, I don't see the need.

7. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

Not if you saw how much a PLEK machine costs.

Factory-reconditioned PLEK's run about $60,000, brand new ones are about twice that.

Considering how much most places charge to run a PLEK setup, $100 is a pretty good deal. For a full fret level and recrown, checking the nut slots, etc, most repair techs are going to charge about the same price (depending on market region), so getting it done directly from the seller is a great option if it's something you already pay to have done on new guitars anyway. I do all my own setup work, so for me it wouldn't really be worth the extra cash; for people that routinely take new guitars to their local tech for a setup, it's a viable option.

Of course I'm also a little torn because I fully believe in supporting local repair shops, but I think it'll be convenient for a lot of Sweetwater's customers.

8. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Squiers don't have "Great Fret Jobs."

The frets can be well seated on a straight board which can *sometimes* be good enough.

But, you're delusional if you think they do anything beyond stamping, snipping, and beveling the ends in the factory. I mean, if you REALLY think someone in a far away land overseas is getting that board straight, going to town with the leveler, maybe adding a little fall off, then coming back to crown'em you must be in full on fantasy land. Those frets are exactly as they come in the can.

9. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes. A thousand times yes.

And anybody who thinks $100 ain't worth it for a plek job, hasn't played a plek'd guitar.

I hate automated checkouts at the grocery. I hate that robots built my car. I'm against pretty much any instance that a robot puts a human out of a job, but these plek thingies are out of this world.

I'm an ace hand at guitar setups. I'm not at all humble about it. I've paid big bucks for pro setups, and still adjusted them myself before they left the shop. I'm better at it than anybody else who's ever worked on my guitars for the last 28 years. Some of those folks are famous for it. Literally.

The plek kicks my ass. I'd gladly pay $100 each to have all 20 some odd of my guitars plek'd, if I had the cash on hand. $100 is cheap for this job. And worth every penny.

10. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Well, since posting this earlier, two of the three offered have sold.

...and I'd like to mention, this was a three-off deal on the CV's, Sweetwater is not offering $100 plek's on all guitars, but they are offering it on a lot of them.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=plek

11. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Yep, it's the same reason MRI's cost more than they should. Return on investment on capital equipment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.