Sweetwater, FedEx, and my new 70th Anniversary Esquire's Tour of the West

cmm71

Tele-Meister
Two weeks ago I was able to pay off my Sweetwater card balance and decided that I'm good for gear. Don't need anymore gear. About an hour later I found a blemished 70th Anniversary Esquire marked down to a very comfortable price on the Sweetwater site...so that happened. The Esquire was "at FedEx location" in New Haven, IN on November 29th. Scheduled for delivery Friday, Dec 3rd. From New Haven to Westville, IN. On 3 Dec it was reported to be in Chicago..clearly shipment is "delayed". It's the holidays, I'll be patient. Then on to Cicero, IL, where it spent the weekend. Sunday it saw "Trenton, Town of WI", by midnight it was in Anamoose, ND. Monday it looped up toward Canada, by way of Harlem, MT, then on to Whitefish, MT. Tuesday I had hope. I figured if it made the 5 hour journey to Spokane by Tuesday morning it might be here Tuesday afternoon. Not so much. It checked in at Pasco, WA Tuesday afternoon. Pasco is south of Spokane. It literally rode right by my street. By early this morning (Wednesday) it was in Troutdale, Oregon. Oregon is also south of Spokane. The good news is that FedEx reports it should be delivered to my Spokane address by end of business Wednesday??? It's now Wednesday night, 8 pm, the Esquire is still in Troutdale. Luckily I've learned to expect this sillyness this time of year. Still, I'm really hoping the Esquire turns north and finds its way to my local FedEx sort facility by Friday. I'd love to have this for the weekend.

At least it's seeing the country.

Last edited:

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
The freeways in Northern Oregon have been intermittently shut down by snow the last couple of days. You should get your guitar around the spring thaw.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I noticed every time (EVERY) I order something from Sweetwater I get the tracking number that evening and I can see it sitting at FedEx in Indiana for 2-3 days. I know that isn’t Sweetwater’s fault.
But if they have 2 day shipping and it’s something I need in 5 days I get it elsewhere even though I like Sweetwater better.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
At least it was moving. There are a lot of people that have packages still sitting aboard a ship anchored off the CA coast.

Most have been waiting for 3 weeks or longer.

mike_levitt

Tele-Meister
Two weeks ago I was able to pay off my Sweetwater card balance and decided that I'm good for gear. Don't need anymore gear. About an hour later I found a blemished 70th Anniversary Esquire marked down to a very comfortable price on the Sweetwater site...so that happened. The Esquire was "at FedEx location" in New Haven, IN on November 29th. Scheduled for delivery Friday, Dec 3rd. From New Haven to Westville, IN. On 3 Dec it was reported to be in Chicago..clearly shipment is "delayed". It's the holidays, I'll be patient. Then on to Cicero, IL, where it spent the weekend. Sunday it saw "Trenton, Town of WI", by midnight it was in Anamoose, ND. Monday it looped up toward Canada, by way of Harlem, MT, then on to Whitefish, MT. Tuesday I had hope. I figured if it made the 5 hour journey to Spokane by Tuesday morning it might be here Tuesday afternoon. Not so much. It checked in at Pasco, WA Tuesday afternoon. Pasco is south of Spokane. It literally rode right by my street. By early this morning (Wednesday) it was in Troutdale, Oregon. Oregon is also south of Spokane. The good news is that FedEx reports it should be delivered to my Spokane address by end of business Wednesday??? It's now Wednesday night, 8 pm, the Esquire is still in Troutdale. Luckily I've learned to expect this silliness this time of year. Still, I'm really hoping the Esquire turns north and finds its way to my local FedEx sort facility by Friday. I'd love to have this for the weekend.

At least it's seeing the country.

Fedex is a disaster. Having said that, I think that Sweetwater may have a super cheap deal with them, and as a result, their packages are lower priority. I can drive there in 3 hours, but an average shipment is taking about 5 days or so, when it used to take one...

gimmeatele

Tele-Afflicted
I hear this so much in deliveries in the USA, not just on guitar gear, but other friends say it can be on a book or an album.
When I order stuff from Thomann it can take about five days due to stopping in customs, but rarely does it take more time. When I desperately needed some parts I ordered next day delivery, if course you pay for that, but they arrived just shy of fifteen hours after delivery.

dougstrum

Friend of Leo's
It's a frustrating and inscrutable system.
I ordered box tubing to build a new boat trailer. Got 4 pieces last week and have back half all welded up.
Waiting for 2 more pieces to arrive tracking said one was moved from Friday delivery to Saturday. Last piece should arrive next Wed:rolleyes:

Sure hope my blood pressure meds arrive on time~

cmm71

Tele-Meister
I've learned to roll with the punches on things like this. I typically have no complaints about FedEx, and I really don't mean to come off as complaining about this. It's comical to watch as my Esquire traverses cities and small towns, desolate highways through mountain passes and all of this in the back of some cold truck trailer. I've even imagined the truck drivers playing some Bakersfield music in their truck cabs as my guitar rumbles along in the back. Its Christmas, I'm enjoying the show.

SoK66

Tele-Afflicted
I once ordered an exhaust manifold for my Jeep from Rockauto with a two day FedEx delivery. Rather than go LA to Phoenix to here (Colorado) it went LA to Memphis, where it got delayed by weather, to Phoenix to New Mexico, where it got lost. It arrived something like 7 days late. Were it a guitar I was waiting for I'd need thereapy.

StratDal

Tele-Afflicted
I once ordered an exhaust manifold for my Jeep from Rockauto with a two day FedEx delivery. Rather than go LA to Phoenix to here (Colorado) it went LA to Memphis, where it got delayed by weather, to Phoenix to New Mexico, where it got lost. It arrived something like 7 days late. Were it a guitar I was waiting for I'd need thereapy.

Well nothing like taking the scenic route! I hope you get manifold sooner than later. Til then, keep playing it Loud and Proud!

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I’ve had all kinds of “entertainment” provided by tracking updates. On 11/30 I ordered some guitar strings from Sweetwater. They were sent via parcel post on 12/01. The package arrived in Indianapolis the same day and then updated to “in transit to next facility”. No further updates until yesterday when it magically showed up in Birmingham. USPS tracking is amusing. Yes, the delivery is much later than promised, but it’s no big deal.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Just got a very nice apology call from my guy at Sweetwater. I have a package coming that has been at Fort Wayne FedEx since Monday and the tracking says it’s been picked up but the app says label generated. Glad it’s not important.