1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sweetwater calls and emails - Why?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sixstringbastard, Feb 24, 2021.

25 or 6 to 4?

1. 25

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. 6 to 4

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Punt

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

I like Sweetwater. I've purchased a few things over the years. I'm happy with the products.

HOWEVER

Why do I feel bothered that I've received several "follow up" calls and emails from the Sweetwater employee. This is really annoying.

Does Sweetwater pressure their sales staff to do this?

I plan on buying more from them in the future, but I don't want to participate in Sweetwater's weird sales culture.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

A business is only going to do something because they believe it will benefit their business more than not doing so.

Whether they're ultimately right about that is a different question. And how you feel about it is of course up to you.

In my experience they do like to "keep in touch". But they're also good about giving up when it doesn't work.

3. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

Dude. There’s threads about this. They are reaching out to see if you need assistance. Just let them know you’re ok and don’t want communication from them. They are one of the few that cares about customer service.

4. sixstringbastard

"Hey Mike..... This is Dave, the manager at your supermarket!"

"Uh.... Hi Dave. How can I help you?"

"Well, I saw that you purchased a gallon of milk from us recently. Do you need any more milk? How are you using that milk? Are you interested in purchasing other dairy products?"

"Uh.... Dave, stop calling me."

5. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I wish the guy at the liquor store would check in.

6. sixstringbastard

Also, my Customer Sales Consultant asked me to write a review and mention his name.

Uh, how about no.

If Sweetwater is forcing their sales staff to beg for positive reviews, then that is just pathetic.

electrichead, Doctorx33 and goonie like this.
  7. Esquire Jones

Esquire Jones Tele-Meister

Yeah. That’s a little sketchy. I’ve never had that happen. My rep do over 20 years is a great guy.

8. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Holic

I’ve gotten calls from Musicians Friend the last two days , wanting to talk about my next gear purchase. Pretty annoying, really.

Oldsmobum, RyCo1983, 24 track and 3 others like this.
  9. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

That's just what Sweetwater does. The calls used to bug me, but I actually appreciated the most recent call I got from my "sales engineer" after I placed an order. He's a very pleasant person.

I feel no pressure from him to buy more stuff, and I have no problem with throwing my business his way when I need something.

RyCo1983, PBO Blues, SRHmusic and 8 others like this.
  10. sixstringbastard

Oh... That's right. They're called sales engineers.

:lol:

SRHmusic and 24 track like this.
  11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

They clearly feel that this activity generates revenue. Sweetwater is a successful business, so they can't be too far wrong. You're not the only one who finds it annoying, though. In the end, I had to tell them to delete my account in order to stop the calls.

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Last time they called me and left a voicemail I never called back. I recently changed my email and lost all my sales orders. Then I called my sales engineer and he fixed it for me right away then I mentioned my last sale and apologized for not returning his call. He asked if there was anything else i needed, I said no but thank you, I'm Ok and then click... Before I had a chance to say good bye he was gone! Kind of weird.

sixstringbastard and 24 track like this.
  13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

its a differnt paradyme to sales and that is great service , I have bought stuff on line from them , they check in to see if you need technical advise in set up , or if there is any thing else they can do to further your satisfaction.
    look at this site how many posts are there about "How do I set this up" etc. yes it can be inconvienient when they call , but they're service is outstanding, I had 1 issue and they resolved it at their expence , immediately and 2 days later it was delivered in to Canada and at my front door.

My basic issue is when i go into a store and the sales rep BS's me into a purchase to find out it is not what wanted , but I was assured that it was.
    I went into a local music store and i was charged 40.00 for a wallwart for my device I got home went to install it and noticed the wires were frayed bare down at the a/c end , I was livid I took it back and was told "we can fix that", I replied "I can fix that, my point is I want anew one!" I never went in there again.

sixstringbastard and Charlodius like this.
  14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I just don't pick up if I don't want to when I see the call come in from Indiana, but it doesn't trigger any other sort of reaction from me. I appreciate the service that my SW guy has provided over the last - gosh - at least a decade, and that relationship has made SW probably my main stop for gear in the last few years.

15. sixstringbastard

Here's the deal... I don't want a relationship with any employees of Sweetwater or Musician's Friend.

I just want to buy things when I need them.

The modern concepts of customer service are bizarre to me. I require Speed and Accuracy, in regards to customer service transactions.

16. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Cant you just ask them to stop calling or emailing? Seems like a pretty simple solution to me. Maybe that’s too easy

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Money. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

Tonetele, 68tele, MilwMark and 2 others like this.
  18. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Retail sales staff (of which I were one until recently) can't win for losing. Check in with your customers? You're bugging them. Don't bug them? Oh, they don't care about me. Every customer is different, and the retailer has to pick a strategy, and be willing to adapt it based on customer feedback, whether individual or overall. If you don't like being contacted, ask them not to (I hear Sweetwater listens when you ask them not to). If they still bug you, let them know (nicely) that their employers' policies have lost them a customer, and move on. Personally, I am of the "rather be left alone" flavour, but I still wouldn't want to go back to the days of vacuum cleaner and encyclopedia salesmen coming to my door.

PBO Blues, Mouth, scooteraz and 3 others like this.
  19. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

They are trying to build a business. I'm sure a lot of those calls roll into "Hey! I was thinking about getting a [whatever], do you carry those?"

At least they care enough to call. Lots of places want your money, but hate you.

My rep's number comes up on caller ID; I will just roll it to voice mail if I don't want to talk.

20. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I just made a purchase from Sweetwater - guitar picks - just over $10 including tax. No call. I would not expect a call for guitar picks.

They have contacted me when I bought cases, or pedals, or other stuff.

Good balance.

SRHmusic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.