Swart STR Tweed Alnico speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FilthyFur74, Sep 21, 2013.

1. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Hi all. Just after a bit of advice. Been thinking about changing the speaker in my Swart to an Alnico and to see if you guys had any recommendations as to which is best for a low wattage amp.

Cheers

2. leebman

leebman Tele-Meister

I tried a str and it sounded very boxy with the stock speaker low wattage alnico are virtually unavailable in the uk. Avoid jensen tayden and celestion. If you can grab a weber with the right wattage that is probably your best bet. Lean business are retailling the warehouse guitar speakers also worth a look. best regards from a fellow yorkshire man

3. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Ehup mate.
    Thanks for the advice. Your right I'm struggling to find anything here. Might have to see what's available in the States cos it's a great amp but could be fantastic with the right speaker.

Ps seems to be quite a few of us Yorkshire folk on this forum!

4. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Go for the Gold. Outstanding. About two years ago I bought a Swart AST Master 112 combo with a greenback in it and could not like the tone of it. Foolishly, I sold it, rather than trying swapping out the speaker. Fast forward a few months and I walked into a local store that's a Swart dealer and they happened to have the same amp, but with a Celestion Gold (12"). I came home with that amp, and it remains my favorite, go-to amp. Night and day to the greenback. I would also consider a Celestion Blue if the amp was rated at 15 watts or less.

5. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Anyone got any recommendations for american made low power alnicos?

Cheers

6. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

What size speaker?

7. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

12"

8. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill Tele-Afflicted

Low-power alnico twelves? Well, that's a tough one. I found the Weber Sig alnico 12S to be pretty useless because of the flatulent low end. That was in a 5E3, and you might have better luck with the single-ended STR. The price is certainly great. Unfortunately, Eminence no longer makes low-power alnico twelves. That pretty much leaves you with the Jensen P12R (kazoo) and P12Q (OK once it breaks in) and the Weber 12A100 and 12A125 vintage models. In this case I might be inclined to do what I did with my 5E3, which was to get a 12/10 baffle adapter and use an Eminence alnico ten. Hope this helps.

9. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of old Rola 12" alnicos from a Hammond tone cab that would probably fit that bill. I'm gonna guess there not more than 20-30 watters. Got 2 15's also from the same cab.

I use one in a 12" cab to play my 5f1 through when I'm feelin it.

10. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

Cheers for the advice fellas. Anyone had experience of the the Tone Tubby Humbolt low watt alnico speaker?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.