Swapping pick up magnets

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Les Paul lover, Nov 18, 2019.

1. trancedental

trancedental Tele-Meister

2. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire

A2s seem to roll off the top end more than I prefer, so like you, I enjoy A5s.

But you're right, the pot values are significant!

crazydave911 and telemnemonics like this.
  3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Disassembling a potted, covered pickup is not an easy task. Too much heat from a soldering iron can destroy insulations and cause shorts, killing a good pup. Its best to use a something like a very hot 30w pencil and quickly melt and suck up the cover retaining solder. This will minimize the heat soak that a lower temp/ longer contacting iron would impart.

To dewax, mount the pickup, cover up in your solder station and warm it with a hair dryer. It might take 20 minutes on high but it will get the pup hot enough for gravity to flow the wax out but not hot enough to cause internal damage.

With the solders and wax removed, the cover should slide right off of the still warm pickup. With Gibson Firebirds and Mini Humbuckers, remember that the guts are all loose in there so when the cover is coming off, gently hold the coils in place to prevent any mechanical stresses from being imparted to the fragile coil leads.

After you have replaced your magnet, being careful to retain polarity orientation, check the pup with a multimeter to make sure all of your manipulations didn’t kill it. Check it again with the cover on and check it again after resoldering the cover. Have no illusions that this will be a clean, quick and easy process. But you will have learned a very valuable luthier skill.
    Rob

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  4. trancedental

I just dewaxed an old pair of Epiphone 57CH humbuckers that came from a Sheraton, using a hairdryer with a cardboard box / kitchen tissues to soak up plenty of the excess wax.

There's Alnico 5 magnets supposedly fitted on these pups, so I'm going to try them out with Alnico 2 & 4 mags & fit some new Nickel Pole screw bolts, without their original Gold covers.

If they don't sound better after all that,, I know won't be able to resist completely rewinding them but using their original bobbins, base plates & other parts. :twisted:

Will my table saw even cut small enough pieces of maple wood for traditional humbucker spacers? :confused:

Do Korean keeper bars / slug poles or even bobbins make a real difference to P.A.F. tone? :eek:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    crazydave911 likes this.
  5. trancedental

I did a complete rewire, 1960's style circuit with braided wire, CTS pots, Orange Drop caps @ 0.022uF, Switchcraft toggle switch & jack.

https://www.sixstringsupplies.co.uk/how-to-wire-an-es-335

Neck pup fitted with Alnico 2, Bridge with Alnico 4, new bolts / slugs, I kept the original brass base plates but fitted new nickel silver covers. Plus the dewax earlier.

Neck is 8.5K, Bridge 8.75K, the neck sounds great, the bridge is now jangly chime without the harshness. They are maybe slightly hotter than vintage at a guess.

So I kept the original bobbins, coil winding & baseplates / plastic shims on these standard Epiphone 57CH humbuckers. Sounds very good for an upgrade at just £15 a pup IMO.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.