1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Swapping Ibanez stock for Entwistle P90s?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by KCKC, May 6, 2020.

1. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Hoping for your input on a pup swap!

I have a an Ibanez AF 86 vls with stock pickups. I like it!

https://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAF86

But I always love a project too! A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Entwistle P90s. They've been wrapped in a drawer since delivery. I have some time on my hands and was thinking of doing a swap.

http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?puid=X 90 ceramic

I am a guitar "bonehead" hence my question! I have never played P90s but was thinking of swapping out the original Ibanez pups for the entwistles... Any thoughts, suggestions, feedback?

I am a blues/americana fan. That's what a like to play. Big Clapton, JJ, BB etc fan.

Very average guitar player.

The P90s are a "hair" bigger than the stock pups and may require removal of the pick guard and I couldn't use the trim rings.

Yay or Nay?

tx,
    KC

2. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Your best bet for that guitar would be HB size P90s. They would drop right in without mods to the guitar. I've not looked into it in detail, but I suspect modding the guitar for normal P90s would be more trouble than it's worth.

P90s do sound great for blues.

nicknklv, drmordo and KCKC like this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Why swap if your happy with it as is?
    I've done that with a guitar because I thought the results would be better, they weren't. Swapping can be a crap shoot.
    P94 types can be good to get those P90 tones and another option is to swap in SD P Rails to get P90 tones, Stratty tones and great HB tones from the same pickup. The Triple Shot Rings make it easy to switch between options.

naveed211 and KCKC like this.
  4. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

Those P90's are soap bar shaped, your guitar has humbuckers. Even if you elongate the humbucker routes to fit the P90's, the routes will be too wide. I would never consider doing this, it will look horrible. Not to mention what a pain in the but it is to swap pickups in a semi hollow guitar.

drmordo and KCKC like this.
  5. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

It is a semi hollow guitar correct? Not full hollow body? Because if it's a full hollow body, there is no way to mount the P90's. You would need dog ear P90's that mount to the top of the guitar if it's full hollow.

KCKC likes this.
  6. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

All great points!

I don't need another "some-day-done" project! Thanks for the input! Looks like it's staying stock!!

Tx guys!

KC

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Dog Eared P90's might cover the HB hole a bit better, but still will have a small opening on the side. So P94 types would be best. SD Phat Cats are great as are some others and GFS Mean/Surf/Dream 90's are good on a budget.

rocksmoot and Danb541 like this.
  8. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

Could anyone speak to the potetial sound difference? I know that's a long shot! ;)

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Yup. Get a hollow body with P90's then you can swap with your Entwhistles. Never heard of those, what do they sound like?

10. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Nay. I doubt it's worth modding the guitar.

11. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

I can vouch for the Phat Cats, I had a pair in my Epiphone Seraton II and they sounded great. Perfect drop in replacement for PAF style humbuckers

12. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Huge difference. p90s are going to sound earthy, organic, growly if you turn them up. Might be good for jump or blues. You have a very refined looking guitar there. I'd look for a used Epiphone Sheraton with p90s if you want to experiment with that sound.

13. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.