Swamp Ash

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Flynztone, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

I used to drink Bud that is until I discovered real beer. Last I heard Michigan has the most micro-breweries in the U.S.A. and why not it gets so damn cold here bout the only thing to do is kick back with a brew. Trouble is, I like beer but the only time I really like it is when it's really hot outside and I've worked up a good sweat. That doesn't happen a lot here in MI but I had the opportunity to kick back a few in ATL last summer and they have some good IPA's there as well. In fact, they have one of my favorites brewed here in MI that being Bell's 2 Hearted Ale and that's probably the best IPA I have ever had. I've tried them from all over the country as well and Bell's wins them all hands down. IPA is a real hoppy beer and either you like it or you don't but It's bout the only beer that I really like and that stuff packs a punch too

2. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

I have no intention of going out and just throwing away a grand and I also have a notion to try my hand a building some furniture pieces and cabinetry. The woodworkers in my ancestral family were traditionally cabinet makers and my father was a cabinet maker as well. So my interests in woodworking aren't limited to guitar making and instrument building. In fact, a project for the very near future for me is going to be a front porch swing for our home in ATL. I have a bunch of leftover white cedar here from an addition I put on our home that I purchased directly from the mill in Boyne City MI approx 7 years ago and I was wondering how that might be for a front porch swing. Any thoughts on that?

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

here's what I always recommend... particularly for guys just getting started.. DO NOT try to make your first your dream guitar... several things are gonna happen that will create problems..

one, you're gonna booger something... it's gonna happen, nothing you can do is gonna keep Mr Murphy out of your shop... whatever it is that happens, will have to be fixed, Bondo, wood putty, cutting out a hunk and gluing in a new piece.. it doesn't matter how good you repair it, it's gonna be there and you're gonna know it... that's gonna nag at ya like a Deer Fly on a hot August night.. solution . . Craig's List..

or, you're gonna be "plugged in" to all the other builders, you're gonna learn stuff ya didn't know was out there to learn... that will make ya reconsider your "dream upgrades".. you will want other more considered goodies, but you will be so far into your build, changing parts isn't viable.. so ya finish it, hating it all the way.. solution, Craig's List.

Or, you learn fast, ya learn how all that "crap" is a total waste... that routing a 12 square inch electronics cavity to accommodate the 8 switches and 6 pots, and a preamp is kinda dumb... so ya get smart and decide to build what I'm gonna recommend in the next paragraph..

Keep it simple.. the classic blackguard is what you're gonna wind up with in a few years anyway, as ya mature into a practical guitarist... and, selling the Blackguard on Craig's list, with normal specs is a heck of a lot easier than selling those two abortions ya tried as ya were learning... where'd ya put those turkeys any way? :D

Ron Kirn

4. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Preach it Reverend

5. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Yep - amen!

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I still remember the best beer ever... I was 21.. and had a job, runnin' TV antenna cable 'n stereo cable through some monster house on the St Johns.. it was August, in Florida, and about 140 in that attic...

I crawl out, covered in fiberglass insulation... and the owner hands me a brew... Ice cold... one long chug..... and that thing just burned away the thirst all the way down.... gotta love the Egyptians... and whoever decided to throw hops into the mix whenever... yum...

r

7. VintageMike

VintageMike TDPRI Member

I'm not going thru each post, so I'll just make it short. Try Johnson's lumber in Charlotte, Mi. I'm in Imlay City just a short drive from you and I go to Johnsons a few times a year.

8. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

Funny you should post about Johnson's BB as I am planning to head over there next week. How is their selection of rough sawn? From the looks of their online presence that's the place in MI :D

9. Flynztone

Flynztone Tele-Holic

That's a line I use when I am performing and there's a heckler in the crowd. You know the type when you're up there with a jazz quartet and some idiot wants to hear Freebird!

But seriously, I hear ya nothing quite as good as an ice cold beer after having worked all day in the heat. I used to kick back a lot more beer than I do nowadays and I think for most of us over 50 guys that can be said. At least by the ones who used to do it anyways.

Something else I've noticed with age, I don't bounce back like I used to so nowadays I pick and choose my battles as I am generally too busy to feel bad. Seems as though it's always fun when in the midst of it but not so much fun when it's time to pay the piper :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.