Swagman Of Yesterday ( mix content )

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by suthol, Aug 6, 2020.

1. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

This is the track where I have been fighting with the vocal to thicken it up and not become muddy.

Written and sung by Bob Browne with dobro by pedal steel legend Kenny Kitching ( google is your friend )

As ever all comments are welcome, I think the dobro may be a little spikey in places but reasonably happy overall

trev333 likes this.
  2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Now you're digging where there's taters! SSL in parallel did the trick. A tad of sibilance, but it's fattened up nicely.

suthol likes this.
  3. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

I discover what sounds like phasing in the verse after the 2nd turnaround was caused by the reaper pitch correction so replaced that with Waves Tune which is much more gentle.

Also cranked the Waves Sibilance tool a bit further to tame that a bit more

4. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

With such sparse instrumentation there’s nowhere to hide which makes the vocal especially exposed.

I noticed 2-3 spots which sounded like Autotune getting confused but could have been a backing voice. The one on billabong stood out.

Overall the vocal is present and perhaps too much compression is accentuating sibilance and mouth noise. I’d be inclined to dial back the mid-highs either by reducing the compression ratio, opening up the threshold or EQ and ride the level if you need to.

All said and done, I’ve worked on many recordings with sparse arrangement and found less is more. The overall performance you’ve salvaged works and you should be pleased not much detracts from that.

Good work!

suthol likes this.
  5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Thanks Biffa,

I've just done another mix and reduced some of the brutality in the centre of the three vocal tracks, L & R were fairly clean and lean with the C sitting under them with some crunch and a bit more bottom.

I've wound the crunch back somewhat and made the Waves Sibilance a bit more sensitive

6. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Today's mix, not perfect but I don't know that I can get Bob's voice much better

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.