1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Suzi Quatro documentary

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by richiek65, Jan 15, 2021.

1. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

I was a pretentious teenager, just discovered Dylan etc, when the Monkee's TV shows were first on. Every Saturday I made sure I watched it to make sure how dreadful it was, before I went out to smoke, make a pint last all evening, discuss Camus and Sartre and interpret the words of Subterranean Homesick Blues. Ah how those tunes take me back now! They used some pretty good songwriters.

I just dismissed Suzi Quatro out of hand. I assumed she was miming to a session player's work. I came across her YouTube lockdown series by chance and discovered how clever a musician she is and was. What she does ain't easy and there are some great lessons about tightness, dynamics and playing to the song.

And she's a charming lady too.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    richiek65 and elihu like this.
  2. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

The Monkees were four actors picked to play a band in the comedy sitcom tv series of the same name. If I remember rightly Peter Tork was the only one who could actually play any instruments. The idea came from Bob Rafaelson seeing the bit in the Beatles "A Hard Days Night" movie where they all entered their own individual front doors to reappear inside one big room. I have no idea why they are being compared to proper bands in this thread.

Rocky058 likes this.
  3. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

It’s a good documentary, all the stuff about her family I had no idea about.
    There are some bits about Joan Jett in there, that her identity was built on being a Suzi clone - again something I’d never thought about before.
    Worth watching.

richiek65 likes this.
  4. WingedWords

Not quite true. They all had music in their backgrounds at at least semi pro level.
    Even Davy Jones!

5. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Because someone mentioned 70s sitcoms. Close enough, I guess.

6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Dang. Warren Haynes has let himself go.

7. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Spent a little time with Pete ... worked with one of his drummers from his own project ... and met Micky, really funny guy. So, all these guys were performers. Davey sang in musicals, he could sing. Micky was a child actor, but a very musical guy. He has a decent voice and good musical phrasing as a singer. Mike plays guitar and steel guitar at a professional level, and Peter could play some guitar and bass, and he knew music at a rock/blues band level.

The Monkees were as much a band as the Beach boys. They were all functionally musicians. In the 60s and 70s there were plenty of bands that were basically two to four charismatic singers that relied on session players to make their studio recordings... depended on Carol Kaye, Glen Campbell, etc.... the L.A. Clique. And there were plenty of bands that had songwriters composing their material. Three Dog Night, Sonny and Cher, whatever. Not every band was trying to be the Stones or the Beatles. There was also a demand for The Association, or Tony Orlando and Dawn. Different strokes for different folks.

Yes, TV producer types wanted to cash in on the popularity of Rock music ... Pop music and popular TV entertainment aren't so different. The Monkees were essentially creating music videos every week, in the context of wacky comedy ... in some ways ahead of their time.

thunderbyrd and WingedWords like this.
  8. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

The trick to getting electrocuted is to be holding a guitar and touching the mic at the same time when the guitar and mike is on opposite sides of the mains. Your right though. It was fake in this case. When we had 2 prong plugs, people have died from electrocution on stage.

9. DjimiWrey

DjimiWrey Tele-Holic

that's what happened.
    dumb teenager playing my sg while touching my lips to an sm 58 duct taped to an improvised mic stand with some iimprovised two pronged amp and mic rigs

the second most memorable kiss of my life lol

stratclub and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  10. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

It happens more often in Britain, because the line voltage is like 220V, instead or our 120v.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  11. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

As an English man of a certain age her Top of the Pops appearances in the early 70's were inspiring, to say the least.

I was also lucky enough to see her at Summerlands in Douglas at the 1992 Isle of Man TT races - brilliant gig, great band, just what the Doctor ordered.

As has been said many times, she's a bit of a legend here in the UK, a cultural icon.

All power to her.

richiek65 and WingedWords like this.
  12. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

She was on every jukebox on Okinawa, "the Wild One" if I remember correctly.
    it was in the late 70s'

richiek65 likes this.
  13. WingedWords

14. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Didn't know she had a lockdown youtube thing going on, I'll check it out! And yes, she seems to be a goood person.

WingedWords likes this.
  15. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

WingedWords likes this.
  16. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

So your 2nd most memorable kiss has been trying to catch up ever since I would assume. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.