Sustain killers on Telecasters? Myth or...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by newtwanger, Jan 18, 2013.

1. willspear

willspear Tele-Holic

I might be wrong but I have found multiple light weight bolt on guitars that sustain for ages which is opposite the implication that neck through construction and heavy guitars have substantial amounts of sustain.

So does a well made bolt on increase rigidity of a given platform over the same guitar made with a neck that is incorporated into the construction?

Also in the case of archtops does it noticeably affect sustain in where the neck and top join? Acoustic resonance changes to my ears aswell as the feel between a guitar where the neck is fully joined to termination as opposed to joining then having the upper fret portion removed from the body. I have never noticed a sustain difference between those two methods of joining a neck to a body.

Bigsby vs stop tail is tremendously noticeable but for much of the style of music produced with a bigsby mounted guitar long sustain is less desirable

Bracing style in a given semi hollow no matter the method of string termination affects sustain substantially. A hollow with enough bracing to safely mount the stop tail but nothing further sustains substantially less than a 335 style full on center block that bisects the chamber.

What is the honest to goodness difference between resonance and sustain? It seems to me that the two concepts collide and yet are at odds with one and other.

2. Cooter21

Cooter21 TDPRI Member

I have posted this before (like I post a lot!). I use fender super bullet (stratocaster strings) in my string-thru-body tele's. I believe that big hunk of brass locking into the body holes helps with sustain.

3. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

Here's my take on it. Resonance deals with certain frequencies causing vibrations on/in the guitar. Sustain is how long a note continues to be heard after the initial attack.

Yes, they are related. I could speculate on in what ways but others could probably do a better job.

I believe every little thing on a guitar affects its sound. In what way, I don't know and I think it's very hard to get a good understanding of - too many variables and changing one thing on one guitar doesn't necessarily have the same effect on another guitar. It is interesting to try to understand though.

4. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Doesn't your guitar have any saddles then?

Aren't you forgetting that when the string is plucked/strummed, it vibrates between the saddles and whichever fret the string is being depressed at.

As for that 10mm between the saddles and the ferrules? Nah - I don't think so, do you?...;)

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This gets my vote!

6. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

I've definitely noticed this on my Bigsby F5 guitar... I used to own a Gretsch 5120 and it had that great rockabilly sound. After I installed the Bigsby on my tele it sounded more like my Gretsch. More jangly, not as much sustain unless I cranked up the distortion. I chalked it up to the fact that the bridge sits on 2 posts like a TOM, but much looser and not screwed in (and admittedly not well installed) so there's probably a small bit of movement that absorbs the string vibrations.

7. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a Travis Bean T1000 Artist that was a solid piece of aluminum from the head to the bridge. It would sustain for about a day and a half.

I like Tele's and Strats because of the attack, also known as lack of sustain. Its a very percussive sound and fits the current band perfectly. And if I need sustain there's the MXR compressor.

8. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

OK here is the smiley that I left off of that :lol:;) Two for good measure.

I remember making brass control and truss rod covers, and had a brass nut put on something back then. I also remember Santana and maybe John McLaughlin being the sustain monsters that everybody was shooting for.

Hardware is much more important on an acoustic guitar as far as all of that is concerned. As long as you don't have something like bridge saddles made out of marshmallows you should be fine.

9. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Heck, I just turn up the gain. Works every time.

10. paranoidsam

paranoidsam Tele-Meister

I know a lot of folks like them, but personally I have no love for top-loaders.

To me they always sound dull, with little sustain or twang. And I've tried a few.

I had a Squire top-loader, and was never happy with it... I almost didn't bother getting a Fender Tele, thinking they were all dull, sustainless and twangless.

Until I tried a through body strung one, the body seemed to resonate so much more.

But that's just my experience.

11. 2wang

2wang TDPRI Member

I agree 100% with what you said but I agree with Jefe that Justin Bieber must also be blamed.

I know it's probably boring, but I don't mod guitars anymore. I try and buy guitars that I like to begin with.

Just like racing motocross motorcycles when I was younger, I found that changing one thing frequently affects other things and the older I get I realize that change really is bad... Run what you brung!

12. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

+1

Ya, I drank the rigidity and mass kool-aid back in the day (and as an acoustician I have had the ability to measure compliance and resonance and the lack thereof with accelerometers and FFT analysers and the like).

I didn't have a Travis Bean, but went the Kramer aluminum route, also had various neck-thru designs. I put brass nuts and bridges on a few other instruments as well. They all had nice and solid sustain, and if I recall correctly, the low resonance may have contributed to less dead spots on the fingerboard. Only problem was, they didn't sound all that great in the mix.

I think sustain is over rated. As others have said if you need it you can get it.

13. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I've always felt like twang and sustain were polar opposites...I prefer twang. Of course I'm strictly rhythm, I don't wanna make it cry or sing.

14. paranoidsam

paranoidsam Tele-Meister

Hi George. Can you teach me some chords?

15. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Lack of a compression pedal.

16. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Tele-Meister

As I stated earlier, i think of OD or gain as the major sustain maker. Even the best sustaining electrics simply dont sustain very long, imo. And by sustain I mean the length only, of the plucked note.
    I also agree with the poster that said he thinks sustain is overrated. Since we seem to be talking electrics here I just dont think it matters much. If you really want long decaying notes you have to use some type of electronic effect to get you there. Imho without that all electrics dont sustain very long.

17. paranoidsam

paranoidsam Tele-Meister

I think it's all in the wood, and hardware myself.

Ash Tele's have awesome sustain. Brass saddles help a bit...

18. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I don't think anyone is holding the same note for twenty seconds unless they're just screwing around at home anyway. That would be the most boring solo ever.

19. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Tele-Meister

Yeah like I said, 'sustain' is a very subjective term. When i think of long sustain those 20 second notes mentioned above sound good to me. But not everyone feels that way.

20. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

My sentiments exactly. And with all the bad notes I produce, I don't want too much sustain, let them fade quickly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.