1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Surveillance System for Home

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ziggy, Feb 22, 2020.

1. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

My home was broken into while we were at work a few months ago. they kicked in my carport door to gain entry. I had no camera system. I do now! I know that you mentioned PoE specifically but I have had a great experience with the HeimVision HM241 wireless system. I purchased the kit from Amazon for about 179 bucks plus the cost of a hard drive for the included NVR. Installation was super easy. The hardest part was running power receptacles for each off the 4 cameras throughout my attic. Once this was accomplished I mounted the cameras strategically around my home. Install is super clean with no exposed wires at all. The cameras operate off of WiFi generated and broadcast from the NVR itself. The unit can then join into your existing home WiFi. This is only to have the capability to see the video from your smart device. The cameras are 1080 quality and I have had zero issues since install. The NVR captures video from all 4 cameras and stores it for 30 days with a surprisingly easy user interface. I also added a Ring doorbell to have the capability to speak to and hear from the carport. Just my .02. Hope that it helps. I am not affiliated with Amazon or HeimVision in anyway....

Shuster likes this.
  2. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

3. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Mainly ranting old men - not very diverse if you ask me. ;)

4. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

trapdoor2 likes this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the replies.

I have been on the fence whether to go with something like Blue Iris and build my own or just buy a pre-made solution.

Since I don't have the tinker time I used to I am leaning now toward the Reolink.

getbent likes this.
  6. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Afflicted

...now I'm even more paranoid I keep saying time to buy a couple more hard drives to finish my mini server and voila a few hundred more and I'm in business.

Procrastinaton:confused:

getbent likes this.
  7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've been using SimpliSafe for about 3 yrs now. Burglars kicked in the kitchen door while we were renovating. They left 4 dirty footprints on the kitchen floor before realizing the house was empty. You'd think they could have just looked thru the windows...bought into SimpliSafe after that.

So far, so good with SimpliSafe. We're considering their doorbell camera...supposedly works just like the others. I added a pair of cameras inside the house...allowed me to monitor the contractors working on the house, worked fine. Only time the alarms have gone off was when I've forgotten about the system and waltzed in w/o keying in the code. Cheaper than ADT (which we had at the previous house) and easy to set up by yourself.

They do not offer exterior cameras (other than the doorbell one) and I don't think the indoor cameras are rated for exterior use (certainly not weatherproof). Monitoring is additive..each camera adds another $$ to the fee.

8. Telecasterless

Good to hear that it works for you. I was hopeful for the outdoor camera though. I wonder if they will change that anytime soon. Can you give me an idea of the monthly or annual fee for the service (above the initial camera cost I assume)?

9. trapdoor2

I'll have to look that up...I have it on auto-pay, so I don't remember offhand.

10. Telecasterless

No worries, they'll quote me when I talk and I know there's no bargaining

11. trapdoor2

I found it.. $25/mo. That covers monitoring three doors, window break detectors, movement detectors and two cameras.

That's 1/2 the monthly cost for a traditional system (ADT) that didn't have cameras...or glass-break sensors. I just cancelled ADT on the home we just sold.

Telecasterless likes this.
  12. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

If they're Meth dealers,,, forget all this^^^^^ ;)

13. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

These guy's work for Milk Bones!

ea419ac6c286b6.jpg

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the replies! It has been a while so I thought I would give a follow up report for anyone else interested.

I wanted to build my own system using something like Blue Iris. The PC/Software/Networking part didn't bother me. I became absolutely bogged down trying to find the right camera. It seemed to be much harder than it needed to be or maybe I was just making it that way.

Time was crucial considerig my problem so after reading a lot of reviews I ended up going with the Reolink system. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W4WBKKJ/?tag=tdpri-20

It was easy to install and came with everything including templates. (The ethernet cables are cheap but they worked fine.) There is a "one screw" adjustment for the camera position that works very well. The camera's themselves seem to be well built.

The camera quality is fantastic and the IR works very well even out to long distances.

The motion sensing is not worth using for the most part. It is too hard to set it perfectly. So I only use it on the cameras that are dedicated to my porches.

The software is a little "clunky" but works.

My biggest issue is exactly what I thought it would be: the NVR itself is slow. I installed the NVR in a closet and remote into it from my PC. I use the NVR software to extract clips of activity and download them for evidence. This is where I would love for the NVR to have a little more horsepower and a little better software.

I tried downloading the entire files to my PC. I was going to use a simple video editor to cut what I needed there. But of course Microsoft's software doesn't work with MP4 files and every other software I tried was just too cumbersome. All I am wanting to do is cut segments from larger video files. (Any software suggestions?)

Anyway, thanks for all your help. Maybe this will help someone else.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

I have a Red Heeler. Nothing gets on my property without her noticing and telling me.

fnkmstr likes this.
  16. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

R&GFire.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.