1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Surveillance System for Home

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ziggy, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

I thought I would ask this question here since I am amazed at the diversity of people here. Surely someone has some experience.

I am considering purchasing a PoE Camera / NVR surveillance system for my home. I do not need it to be monitored. I have a regular security system for that; two, if you count Ginger, my dog. J

I basically want two cameras watching the street and on all the time. I want one camera watching my front porch and another watching my backyard but only recording when sensing movement.

Drug dealers have taken residence up the street. The police can’t do anything without evidence. There are kids and elderly on my street as well. Someone parked a stolen vehicle in front of my house a few weeks ago. The police asked if I have video cameras… Sigh…

Anyway, I don’t know much about the systems but a PoE / NVR seem the way to go since wireless systems typically only record when sensing movement. (Blink systems.)

I saw a YT video about Ubiquity / Unifi systems. They seemed too pricey.

I have been considering these two:

Swann

https://www.swann.com/us/swnvk-885804#!

Lorex

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-...rveillance-system-with-8-cameras/HDIP841B-1-p

The Lorex apparently has better night vision but the Swann better motion detection.

The Lorex supposedly has good tech support but I can tell you that the Swann is lacking in this area. (I chatted online with them and it took me the better part of an hour to get them to answer the simple question, “Can I remote to the NVR from a computer on my LAN?” Frankly it was ridiculous.)

Some reviews of the Lorex software / mobile applications hasn’t been great.

There are cheaper options out there but I am a little bit uneasy about allowing access to my network from an unknown brand.

Since this is something that is expensive and I will have to live with for a long time I am seeking any advice I can get.

Thoughts?

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Glad that i live way out in the country... Sorry, nothing productive to add to this conversation...

Shuster and Obsessed like this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I built my own. I am using panasonc cameras, poe, to gig switch, ocnnected to home network, and using a mac mini and security spy for software.. it is great. not the cheapest solution for most, but super cheap for me... and I like it.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Find out if the drug dealers have cameras.

If not, put a note in their door anonymously at 3:00 am that informs them you will burn their house to the ground with them in it unless they cease or move.

5. ferdtuff

ferdtuff TDPRI Member

My parents own the Swann system and are very happy with it. I used to work in the CCTV industry and I was impressed with it as well. Easy to use and install.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Very interesting! I may have access to a PoE switch from an old telephone network. I also have an old Zotac mini system. That mini system is only a Atom processor. It currently has W7 on it. I doubt it will run W10.

I wonder if Security Spy will run on a Linux distro. Hmmm

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Thank you! This is very helpful! Especially considering your background.

8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

upload_2020-2-22_13-25-47.jpeg

electrichead likes this.
  9. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The injury that put an end to my being on a stage with stringed instruments was caused by a trust fund nut job trying to stick a knife in me. At his trial he promised to finish the job when he got out of prison. No, I didn't know the guy.

A few months before he was released I started preparing. Cameras are a part of it. My suggestion...

Along with wide general views from above, which are useless at identifying individuals, cameras at eye level or a little below provide the clearest view of faces. Faces provide the best evidence.

telestratosonic and dented like this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

8 cameras covering all 4 corners of the outside front and back , backwards and forwards , 2 recorders each with 1T harddrives , color and infrared ,cell phone access anywhere in the world for monitoring and remote access , worth every cent , plus I have a harlo 125lbs of teeth

for those on a budjet check this out

Chunkocaster and Buckocaster51 like this.
  11. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yeah man, that's going MS13 on them.....

12. getbent

I think there are windows and linux based products for cheap out there... I have my cameras at 6' and they are both hardware and software zoomable... At work I put in a 9,000,000.00 system... so, I have spent a lot of time with this stuff... at work we use ONSSI and Avigilon, both good and full featured and admissable in court... The cameras are all minimally 12mp, and a couple of very powerful ones as well.. we also snag license plate numbers and use AWS for cloud backup.. so, I have done huge and small...

the systems they sell at Harbor Freight would probably do the trick, heck you could get a couple of Rings and do it too.. or even something from Verkada... the thing you MIGHT like about Ring is that you could install and give the cops access and then notify them when you see activity.... much less hassle for you.

13. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

Thanks! Could it be as simple as having a system with Blue Iris or Ispy, a separate drive for recording, a PoE capable switch and a few PoE cameras?

If that is the case I really like the idea of having better software.

getbent likes this.
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Tele-Holic

I'm sorry you are having to go through this.

rolandson likes this.
  16. getbent

yes.

I put mine together pretty easily and it works great... even has mobile app and alerts etc.

17. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thank you.
    I am too.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I use Arlo. I bought cameras and six days later, the cops caught a prowler and I had the video evidence to have him charged.

19. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

I like your style.

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

What if they're renting?..... the poor owner would be peeved,,,:rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.