1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Surprised how thicker picks really change the sound.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Revelation, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

These might help you get that Slash tonezz.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

karpis likes this.
  2. Stu Cazz

Stu Cazz TDPRI Member

Generally I prefere fat picks. And even with them and having the same thickness the shape and finish at the edges makes a huge difference. My favorites are
    V-Picks the ones I use most are Pearly Gates rounded, Mummy and Freakishly Large in that order. Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm are nice too.
    I don't own a acoustic but when I hit my Mooer Acousticar pedal I usually grab a Dunlop 1mm pick, just sounds and feels better.

3. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I went to Harbor Freight a long time ago and bought a little plastic box that has dividers in it. I have a bunch of different picks in there of all different types and thicknesses.

Like you, the medium is what I normally use but if I'm playing something different changing it up can make it a lot easier. For maybe $10-$15 you can buy one of those boxes and a bunch of different pics. Well worth it IMHO.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Qu'est-ce que c'est? Fa-fa-fa-FAA-fa....

Crobbins likes this.
  5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Always use Jazz III picks for electric solidbody. Cool picks for hollow / semi-hollow.

6. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Big, heavy Fender triangles. Big sound, and three picks in one. And I never drop them.

7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Dunlop Delrin 2mm since 1987.

8. RocknRollShakeUp

RocknRollShakeUp Tele-Meister

Picks can make a big difference for sure. And not just due to the different thickness, but also due to the material.

I use the 1.38mm Dunlop Jazz III picks, and for example if I want a bit more chimey attack and brightness I use the red Dunlop Red Jazz III picks, especially the Eric Johnson signature ones. If I want a bit of a rounder less bright tone I use the yellow ultex ones.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Fender Extra-heavy (~1.1mm) is my standard. I like the Fenders because they're white, which means they're easy to find when you drop one or set it down on top of the amp.

This is actually my standard response whenever the question of tone wood comes up -- IME, a different pick will change the tone of a guitar more than a different wood. Even just rotating the pick between the "point" and a more rounded corner has a more dramatic effect.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  10. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

Those are my go-to picks. I keep some Dunlop Max-Grips on hand for when I run out of Herdim blue's... just to hold me over until I can get another shipment of Herdim in.

11. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

I like the heavy celluloid picks from Fender, (351 shape I believe).
    They just sound right with my style and are very dynamic IMO. I tried some of the thinner picks I had laying around a few days ago, yep, there is a big difference, for the better! :D

12. Censport

Censport Tele-Holic

I've been using nothing but Dunlop Tortex 1.14 picks for at least 30 years. But then I only play electric, don't fingerpick, and haven't tried slide since my old bandmates laughed at me.

13. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 TDPRI Member

1.5 mm Gravity picks for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.