Surfy Bear Reverb Kit...finally

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by rob2, Apr 6, 2020.

1. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

With more time on my hands I finally got around to covering the enclosure for this...had the little bit of soldering and control plate done over a year with the enclosure roughed out but put it on the backburner....great sounding verb.I've built it as a kind of amptop unit....trying to capture something of the Dano/Supro/Harmony budget vibe....just need to letter the panel and try make a logo... DSCN3888.JPG DSCN3889.JPG DSCN3886.JPG

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Gorgeous work! Congratulations! I really like the sound of those Surfy Bear units. Enjoy!

rob2 likes this.
  3. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

I'd be tempted to get another but they are unavailable right now!

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well done!

I’m happy with my second build, but I wish I kept my first—those PCB boards are no longer being offered anymore, and probably won’t again since the new effects are up. BTW, the Surfy Compact delivers, an excellent spring reverb. It can do the subtle dark stuff, and splash pretty well. You could swap tanks, or if you really want to void the warranty, solder in/outs for to switch in a larger tank or even send a lead out for the “color” mod. Had it a color mod switch, even two or three positions, and TWO different LED colors for Mix 1&2, it would be perfect....anywho congrats, love that Surfy Bear...

5. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

....thats what I thought,its a pity....I saw the compact on their site but recently put a Carl Martin Headroom on my board:rolleyes:.....have thought about different tanks though!

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Ha, I've had the parts for a Surfy Bear for over a year- it's on my current list of "Stuff To Do Now That I Have A Ton Of Downtime". Mine's going in a red metal toolbox, though- the idea is to put it on the floor so I can give it the boot and get those springs going whenever I want/need (see 2:39 for details):

rob2 likes this.
  7. BorderRadio

IF anybody wants to sell their unused, or half built kit, I am willing to pay. I can throw in a mega pack of TP too :)

rob2 likes this.
  8. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Meister

rob2 and BorderRadio like this.
  9. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

..great idea to use an old cab!...the tolex on mind hides great gobs of filler and not-straight lines.....almost had to take an angle grinder to it....

10. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

surfyback.jpg surfyfront.jpg I'm sad they're discontinued. Just finished a trem-verb. although tube-town now do a FET-verb which I'm planning to build.

BorderRadio likes this.
  11. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

They're _discontinued_?! That really stinks. It's a fantastic sounding reverb!

12. BorderRadio

Here’s my updated Surfy Bear build. The built in boost is actually pretty grindy, and bright. Like a built in overdrive/bright switch, which I thought was bad at first but I find it useful now. I keep it off with the Mystery Brain preamp. The first pedal is a Rat clone, still waiting on the graphic part to keep it in theme, of course. The kick board is oak...

I A/B’d my build with the new Compact, and first thing noticed was the usefulness of the mixer switch. If I ever find another surf green box, I’d like to omit the boost and soft click (RIP Mammoth Electronics) and just use the color mod and foot switchable mixers. The Diamond trem has a better clean boost function anyways. I also found out that I like the long spring better than the short. As cool as heck as the Compact is, and as much as I highly recommend it for real outboard spring drip, I moved it on.

3DBBE165-D212-4827-AC6B-1723739B5429.jpeg 48FC72A9-8151-4640-A364-7188AE755A15.jpeg

Si G X, awasson and Paul-T like this.
  13. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Yea, too bad the pcb's were discontinued. I would be very interested in building one of these.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.