Surfcaster Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by dilver, Dec 31, 2010.

1. dilver

dilver Tele-Meister

Thanks Offsetfan! I've always wanted one, but it was further on down the list of Les Paul, Tele, Strat. Now I have two.

They both play very fast, to me at least, due to the wide/thin neck profile, with HUGE frets. They're 24 fret necks so the scale is more shredder as well. A very odd combination with the lipstick tube pickups and Ric/jazz master stylings, and the shark fin inlays. Yet somehow it all works. Some people hate thin necks as it can give people with big hands, fatigue. I find them incredibly comfortable and fast. If you ever get the chance to play one, I highly recommend it!

2. Carvalho Diablo

Carvalho Diablo Tele-Meister

Hello to all my fellow Surfcaster enthusiasts, and let me introduce Blondie...

Rescued her from a guitar store about 18 months ago, and one trans-atlantic flight later, and we're all loved up.

Beaten and abused in a previous relationship, she arrived at my home cracked and chipped, but after a little t.l.c. she's as good as new.

Better, infact thanks to that lovely new TV Jones Classic + pick up in the bridge.

I decided to keep the original Duncan Designed lippy in the neck because it sounds great, and the middle pick up position was wired to give that out of phase sound.

Absolutely love my surf, and as much as I can admire all of your Surfcasters, my naturally relic'd, trans-ivory, black finned stunner still makes me gasp.

Hope you like her too...

Attached Files:

3. Twang Chung

Twang Chung TDPRI Member

I think it looks amazing. Tell me, the TV Jones pickup got me thinking. Do the pickups require a measurement or do they come one size fits all? I really like the look of it!

4. Carvalho Diablo

My TVJ is completely stock. No need for routing or body work of any kind.

Thanks to the guys on TV Jones website for steering me in the right direction, because I had the same concerns.

TV Jones Classic + just sounds fantastic in my Surfcaster. Expensive, but worth it.

And thanks for the compliment !

5. dilver

dilver Tele-Meister

Gotta love a TV Jones in any guitar. And love the fact that you've brought your Surfcaster back to life - looks awesome.

6. Carvalho Diablo

Thanks for that mate. I've got a few guitars, but my Surf's a little bit special for that very reason.

Serious cracks to the body, not just the finish; there is a 4 inch crack running horizontally right through from the lower screw on the pickguard. Some dolt at the factory must've gone beserk with an electric screwdriver when fitting the pickguard and, CRACK !

7. nrand

nrand Friend of Leo's

New owner of the 12 string variety here - top shelf chime machine
    [​IMG]

8. EdFontana

EdFontana TDPRI Member

Late to the game I know, but here's a site with pictures of our Surfcasters (yes, 3 matching), used exclusively over the past 21 years of our 32 years together....pictures under sidebar "photo's", also youtube band's name for various video's of the Surfcasters in action.

www.eddyandthestingrays.com

9. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I cant put my Stratocaster surfcaster down since I got it!

Attached Files:

10. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess my latest build should fit right in here...:lol:

.....more than on the 52ri threads..:rolleyes:

cowabunga...:cool:.... / / ...;)

Attached Files:

11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Had the Charvel 12 String briefly in 2004, which I foolishly sold. A couple of years later I started looking for another one with no luck. Considered various Rickies, then lass than a year ago I took the plunge and bought a Burns Double Six. Nice guitar but never really gave the same degree of satisfaction. Two weeks ago I found a Jackson version of the 12 String Surfcaster on eBay, cost me twice what the Charvel had cost in '04, but the smile has not left my face since picking it up. Will add a couple of photos later.

12. pyrrhocorax

pyrrhocorax TDPRI Member

Aw, was that the black one ? I came very, very close to pulling the trigger on that myself, several times, but didn't and been regretting it ever since. I am still hunting for another Surfcaster 12 (oh for a green or tangerine) and coming to the conclusion they are very scarce indeed, such that I'm even thinking about Ric's .. except the price is so scary !

Would love to see the photos :)

13. pyrrhocorax

pyrrhocorax TDPRI Member

Hmm well, after nearly giving up and buying a 12 string Strat instead, I finally got one after all these years, a trans red mahogany bodied 12 string Charvel Surfcaster dating from 1996, and I think for a reasonable price too, though I had to import it to the UK from Canada. It's got just a few tiny dings and is in perfect order with its internally shaped hardcase. Well looked after.

What it does have is a ton of jangle on tap, the angled lipsticks seem to really work well here, and the push/pull phase inverter on the tone control was also a surprise.

Very slick and easy playing 12 string indeed, slim neck, quite chunky frets, the pickguard and binding is ageing very nicely. I think my first choice would have been a tangerine finish one but the delicately flamed red top (it's kind of like candy apple red) is winning me over, it changes appearance in the light !

I think she has to be named "Scarlet" ... :)

Attached Files:

14. sbolt

sbolt Tele-Meister

My buddy has a black one that I messed with for a while. It's a looker for sure, but he complains about the anemic bridge (lipstick) pickup and I agree. Otherwise, he loves it.

For me, the problem is the skinny neck, I like 'em thicker, or else I would be getting one myself. Problem is, I like to mod and this guitar needs too much to work, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy one.

I love the looks though, really cool.

15. dmr34

dmr34 TDPRI Member

I'm interested in buying a 12 string. Anyone got one for sale?

16. WAvanBuren

WAvanBuren TDPRI Member

Hello,

Anyone owning a Surfcaster has a spare minute for a quick measurement of the body-width ? (the max body-dimension perpendicular to the strings)

I'm interested in these guitars. (finding one is another thing I realize...;-) ) Was wondering though if they're not too 'tiny'. Being originally a bass-player I'd like my guitars to be 'substantial', like for instance Jazzmasters do body-wise.

Thanks!

17. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

My '93 HT

View attachment 262932

View attachment 262933

Sorry for crappy cell phone pics. To me, this is the ultimate Surfcaster for color, pickup configuration and bridge/tailpiece. The bridge pickup on mine is a hot Kent Armstrong. Still a little weak, compared to the fullness and clarity of the original Chandler neck pickup, but playing with the heights has them working well together. Hum-cancelling together in phase and I've restored the push/push tone pot for phase reversal. (Had been changed for a regular pot when I got it.)

As for measurements: 9-1/4" through the switch, perpendicular to strings; 8-3/4" at the waist, at the offset angle; 12-1/2" at the rear-end, at it's widest angle. Hope that helps. It's an over-all smaller perimeter than a Jazzmaster, having had them side by side at one time.

Attached Files:

18. WAvanBuren

WAvanBuren TDPRI Member

Very VERY nice looking gtr indeed ! I like this, the nice tailpiece a nice compensation for no trem.

Thanks for the measurements, much appreciated! I'll check these with the SK-3 Skatecaster - while somewhat larger than strats, this one is indeed smaller than a Jazzmaster. So probably (& then not surprisingly) the Surfcaster & Skatecaster have identical body-sizes.

Thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.