1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Surf Guitar and Such...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Steerforth, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

Lotsa Chris Isaak and the Silvertones content missing here; laziness and an impending kid shuttle is preventing me from posting "Blue Hotel" and "Can't Do a Thing (To Stop Me)."

2. Chip

Chip Friend of Leo's

3. jdgladw

jdgladw Tele-Meister

For me, Asia is where it is at for Surf-type instrumentals.

Willie Johnson and BorderRadio like this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Wouldn’t he be considered more rockabilly?

6. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

The Surf Coasters again - I was at this show in '08 at the Tractor Tavern in Seattle right next to my friend who filmed it.

Los Straitjackets with "Tailspin" at the same venue. I really miss Danny Amis.

Danny brought the Surf into this band. Every time they toured, my friend and I would hit the shows in Seattle and Portland and always be right at the stage, usually in front of Danny, cheering him on during Tailspin. Danny always made a point of of playing that song in our faces. One night the venue was too packed and we were only able to get at the stage on the far end. On the Tailspin solo he walked over to the opposite end of the stage where we were for the solo. Awesome guy.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  7. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

This guy, Mr. Johnny Fortune was one of my guitar teachers and I also played in a band with him for a couple of years. He was a great guitarist and a good singer too.

61fury likes this.
  8. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

yay for Asian surf music :)

9. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I was all surfed out and you post this guy. He's great, I can hear him playing, not just surf shredding. Some rockabilly stuff in the first song, then I noticed his playing in the other songs. I'm going to look up some singing examples next. Thanks

You were very fortunate to have this guy as a teacher and band member

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  10. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

Johnny was a great guy, he died in 2006. He was really a Chet Atkins style player and is a member of the rockabilly hall of fame. He was originally from Ohio but moved to California and started to dabble in the surf music that was so popular. There was another surf player named Johnny Barakat and the two of them played together a lot. I actually met Johnny B. Before Johnny F. When I was 17 my parents and I need to get some papers notarized because I was leaving state for college and I was underage. Johnny B. was a notary and we went to his house to get the papers done. We was in a wheelchair because he had been shot in the back while working at his parents store. Someone tried to rob the place and he was in the way. Anyway, we went to his home and I noticed some guitar cases in the room. I asked him what kind of music he played and he told me “surf music“, and I said “Like The Beach Boys, like the Safaris, or like Dick Dale? He said “boy, you know your stuff”, he pulled out a 45 and said “like this” and he played a song called Happy Time For us. He then signed the record and gave me. We did our papers and were getting ready to leave and he said “come on back Before you leave for school if you would like to listen to some music and we could talk”. A few days later I told my mom I was going to go see that surf guy because I thought he was lonely, my mom said “be careful, it’s weird that he wants a young boy to come visit him” and “you know, you can’t trust just anyone”. Well, I went to see him and we sat there talking, he was real nice and told me all about how he was shot, and how he had been recording music prior, but then he just gave up. Like I said, he had maybe six or seven Fender guitar cases in one room and then he said “let’s look at my guitars”, “here grab that case” and we’d open it up...Stratocaster, next case, Telecaster, next case, Jaguar, next case, Jazzmaster, next case, Coronado, then Coronado XII and so on (although, I really don’t remember what order we opened them). The Stratocaster was burgundy mist and had some extra switches added. The Tele was metallic green, the Jaguar was also burgundy mist. The Jazzmaster was white and both of the Coronados were sunburst. Their was one more guitar but I can’t remember if it was a Mustang, a Duo-Sonic or perhaps a Bronco. Anyway, he told me he was proud of me for going to college on a scholarship, and that I was polite and kind for coming to visit him. He then said “pick one”, I said “what?”, he said “pick a guitar...I’d like to gift you one of these guitars”. I said “I can’t, they are all worth too much and you’re making too big of a deal about my visit”. He insisted that he wanted me to have one and said “you promise me that you will come see me when you graduate and then you have certainly earned one of these beauties”. Well, he passed away a couple of years later, and he had left a note for his family about me. Somehow (phone book) someone contacted my parents and said they had sold all of the guitars to a collector and they didn’t know who the hell Tim Mannion was anyway. They said they saved some stuff for me if I wanted it. The next time I was in town I went to the house and his son-in-law gave me an old Fender reverb unit, a Vox Wha pedal, some cords and some other small stuff. Thanks for letting me reminisce. Check out their music on YouTube. Johnny Fortune also played with Terry Stafford (Amarillo by Morning, Suspicion)

Digital Larry, dswo and 61fury like this.
  11. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Mermen do it for me as they are not purists. Some of their CDs barely touch on surf. This medley is one of my absolute faves of all time by anyone ever anywhere.

Here they are doing Jim Thomas' own "Scalp Salad" and a cover of Peter Murphy (Bauhaus) Deep Ocean, Vast Sea:

Wait, is that Prairie Prince on drums? It sure is. I've seen him guest a few times.

Durtdog likes this.
  12. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

That Chet style really adds something else to the genre. Surf? I like some of it for about 2 minutes at a time , after that it just grates.
    So you never did get one of those guitars? Not sure if I could have either though some people have a way of making an offer you can't refuse. In retrospect which one would you have taken?

TimmyM likes this.
  13. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

I don’t know, they were all cool but those Coronados were something else and I didn’t have anything like that. Honestly, you could tell he loved his Stratocaster By the way he talked about it,so there’s no way I would’ve taken that from him.

61fury likes this.
  14. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

15. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

BorderRadio likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.