Surf green squire bullet tele, $119, in stock

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by darylcrisp, Apr 12, 2020.

1. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

just ordered one, if its junk i'll send it back, but from the many reviews i've read and watched(elsewhere), this appears to be a neat guitar with a lot of bang for the buck-assuming you get a good one. not concerned with fret issues, i'll fix all that in short order and I do my own setups/work, assuming the pickups may be "not so great" but there's a couple low dollar replacements for that. so we shall see. i've got a few ideas i want to try out and i don't want a high dollar instrument that i might mess up, this looks to be a good speciman. modern neck C shape profile, 9.5" radius.

Tomo Fugita just posted a quick review of one of the black ones he purchased. I had been looking at these for a week or two, but wasn't feeling the $179 that i see them typically listed at. Put in a search and the GC offer came up. I'll be interested to see what is delivered, keep you posted.

end price was $126 shipped($119 and tax) 30 days or more to return.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier...itar.gc?rNtt=squier bullet telecaster&index=1

2. Silent Otto

Silent Otto Tele-Meister

well, it shows you now have 180 days to decide. good deal. not available in canada, bad deal.

3. frettchen

frettchen TDPRI Member

very interesting. From the pictures on the headstock is written "bullet" instead of "tele" as on the official website.. Perhaps it's a special version?

4. koolimy

koolimy TDPRI Member

I remember playing one at a GC a few years back. From what I remember, it sounded pretty good but had pretty bad tuning issues. Everything else seemed to be okay, however. They look quite beautiful so once you get any issues sorted out I'm sure you'll have a pretty nice guitar.

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's a pretty good deal.

I'd go straight to the nut for the tuning issues. Some lube or a little file work might straighten that out.

howardlo and nicod98 like this.
  6. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Meister

Looks like a great deal!

Danbgreen likes this.
  7. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I was buying parts for a budget surf green build. Once I saw this post I bought one. Once it arrives we can compare notes! I’m a little worried about neck quality and the softness of basswood, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.

T-Bone and Danbgreen like this.
  8. Danbgreen

Danbgreen TDPRI Member

Long story/post, but I am sheltering in place away from my tele, so decided to pick one of these bullets up. Figured shipping gonna may be slow, and wanted a maple neck and did not wait for the price to go down from $179. I ordered a butterscotch bullet from MF because free shipping and no tax- I was thinking there’d be a Tele Squier pak but I guess that’s discounted - also wanted the fender frontman- I like one I had a while back, the MIM with the metal grill, but it seems frontman and small vox’ are back ordered everywhere. Not knowing how long this would go on I bought the orange mini battery amp - (like zero cleans). Day after my order the Butterscotch went down to $129 and a call to MF got me that price- thanks! Took about a week to get here. MF is always slow but that wasn’t bad. 8lb Guitar was definitely a new one not a return, the body is three pieces. The center is a little darker than the rest and from the front it looks really good. Did not have all the familiar issues, frets not gritty or sharp, tight neck pocket, but the pots are a little grindy. I didn’t like the sea foam or red sparkle in the shops. Really heavy, and overall cheap feeling, again the whatever wood fretboard just turned me off. Actually this bullet guitar is better than the affinities I have had, maybe the new string-through affinities are better than this, but I am really like the guitar. Intonation and set up was fine, plays great out of the box. String alignment is dead on. The butterscotch says also does NOT have bullet on the headstock. Of course I had to do something to it and being away all I could do was shoe polish the neck- it works! The black logo maybe is stenciled on because after the polish it revealed some overspray black specs
    on the headstock front... Also had the colored ball end fender strings - and damn I am loving 9s on this! I have been playing a 60s Japan parlor acoustic with a 2”+ wide nut and probably depth:) The neck feels small and smooth and the bends are so sweet... I am getting old! 614D7824-8C6C-4E1F-9F78-B0A946FF9082.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  9. Danbgreen

Danbgreen TDPRI Member

Seems they got some good quality control. Tuning is stable, (strings have 2 wraps). Pickup height seems right and balanced. We know that these have those high powered ceramic mags, and lower winds and low output. But the sound there. Neck especially.

StarRaider likes this.
  10. Danbgreen

Danbgreen TDPRI Member

11. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

thing about these bsb bullets is they look orange. i will eventually get one as a project guitar but will strip the BSB off it and redo it so it doesn't look like an orange.

Danbgreen likes this.
  12. Danbgreen

Danbgreen TDPRI Member

They definitely do! It’s like a pumpkin color and the severest of the butterscotch in the fender/Squier line. This is in the hard bright sun...true color. What ya get if you want a maple neck. And the necks are featherweight once the hardware is off. Overall good build and the sum of its parts adds up to a nice player.

13. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for the deal alert .

14. bls82261

bls82261 TDPRI Member

Newbie here. Shoe polish? Just front of headstock? Gives it an aged look? Thanks, Brian

15. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Ive done it to good effect several times - brown kiwi shoe polish in a can - all over a maple neck - knocks down that brand new too-white look. Rub it in good let it sit rub it off. Several threads on it.

Danbgreen likes this.
  16. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

Saw this post earlier and picked up one of the red sparkle ones from Musician's Friend, they have them as well as the blue ones for $129.00. we're charged tax now so it will be about $140 total. I've been thinking about picking up one of these to mod and couldn't pass this up at this price.

Danbgreen likes this.
  17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

How are those bridge holes drilled? vintage? modern?

18. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

here are two videos that gave me an idea of what the stock pickups might be like-i'm especially looking at this for the clean tone for its possible use. these sound plenty fine to me with these videos, of course in person will be the real time tone. i think this will be a really fun guitar to have around, not worry about, and just use and enjoy.

i like the faded color more than a deeper seafoam on this.

studio1087 and Danbgreen like this.
  19. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

Man, I just paid $130 just for a Bullet body last month. All I would have kept is the body, since I had quality pickups and electronics lying around and because I don’t like the Bullet necks, so I guess it’s a wash. Still...

I don’t mind. I wanted to do a project with my leftover components, but didn’t need another Tele and decided not to do anything with them. But then the fiancée asked to borrow one of my electric guitars...

Also, I don’t like the Bullet neck, so I found a ‘70s CV Thinline neck with tuners. It’s a MIC neck and is nicer than my MIC ‘50s CV neck!

Danbgreen likes this.
  20. frettchen

frettchen TDPRI Member

nice post, your guitar looks great!
    Also, yes, the bsb looks more orange on squiers, on the affinity too. I was wondering why..

Danbgreen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.