Surely, if it sounds to good to be true………..

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Anyone ever used one.
You can achieve basically the same results by simply driving "gently"......Take off VERY slowly from traffic lights, (the drivers behind you will HATE you) and begin coasting to a stop several blocks before you actually need to stop.
The device you cite will give extremely poor car performance, in the sense that you will have virtually no power or "get up".....and forget about passing slower traffic on the road.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Dress like a Viking, hang out in a cafe and join in with this song.

Scam scam scam scam
Scam scam scam scam
SCAAAAAMMM! lovely scam.

'Big Oil' wants to get the scammy piece of poop banned. Proof?
Works by reprogramming your cars ECU via the OBD port. The diagnostics port... Each engine will have its own ECU, so that ain't going to happen.

They claim it works on all cars. Nope. they claim it works on petrol and diesel. Bwahahahaha! Oh, so many claim d'e poopure
Act now! Hurry! Inventory limited! Limited time offer! Big Oil are going to get this banned!

Scammier than Scammy Sammy McScammer winning the scammer of the week awards.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Clue's at the top of the page

1660769714063.png

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
When the Emissions test guy sees this you might end up in prison...or at least be the laughing stock of all the gray-shirted guys at the Emissions Test place.

At the very least they'll confiscate it and question your competence to be driving a car. They consider that OBD port to be their private hole for their personal use only. Any violation by others is like a statutory something-or-other.

Last edited:

effzee

Tele-Afflicted
You can achieve basically the same results by simply driving "gently"......Take off VERY slowly from traffic lights, (the drivers behind you will HATE you) and begin coasting to a stop several blocks before you actually need to stop.
The device you cite will give extremely poor car performance, in the sense that you will have virtually no power or "get up".....and forget about passing slower traffic on the road.
I drive like that, not to the extent that I'm an annoyance to other people, but very mileage conscious, with lots of leaving the car in gear (6-speed manual), foot off the gas, coasting whenever I can, slow acceleration etc, and can get upwards of 60mpg in my Turbodiesel sporty car that could easily cruise at 135mph all day if that's what I wanted.

And I really wish everyone would do it. I'm ready for some serious paradigm shifts when it comes to cars and transportation in general. And if people aren't ready and willing to do it on their own, then it's time to legislate ecologically unsunstainable habits and devices out of existence. There'll be a couple years of temper tantrums but then life goes on and people develop new hobbies and interests and all is forgotten.

Case in point: smoking. The outrage was huge when they began banning smoking in public places, now, it's just accepted and really hugely popular.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Holic
Being that I was on the software development side of manufacturing, I'll just say you wouldn't *believe* the complexity of systems it takes to run a factory making cars.

Takes a large number of very talented people all who are capable of adding 'a chip' to the software of their cars if they thought it would help to sell them by increasing the mileage by 55%.

Big oil is not worried.......

Quarter1969

TDPRI Member
This one is basically a scam. Having said that, some engines CAN be tricked by chipping to offer better fuel economy, at a cost of changing the performance in some areas. The same goes with some other mods that can allow for better power per gallon ratio and eventually make you crying less at the gas station. But there is no such thing as one fits all in this world. You need to go to a serious tunning garage, talk to a knowledgable guy who will tune your specific car, get you the right components and make it all work. It ain't cheap. If there was such a simple solution, all CAR manufacturers would be more than happy to install them and brag loudly about how much more efficient they cars are now.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
The device sort of reminds me of the thing you plug in under your dash when you are buying car insurance. Lets you and the insurance company know how you drive. Jackrabbit starts, etc.
When my daughter got her permit she made a bet with mom that she could drive better and she won. Lesson, don’t bet against teens.

They used the one from our insurance company. I didn’t get one because my car has 2 speeds, gas floored and brake floored.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Toyota had to do something similar to the Tundra to increase its poor mileage.

Based upon curve response of the accelerator pedal for the most part. Pedal Commander does the opposite of this device and allows you to open the throttle on a smaller curve. May have an Eco Mode too though...

Tundra has a "beast mode" you can deactivate all these eco implementations. Beast mode throws you back in your seat like a hot rod! I love it but have learned how to use the throttle normally to get performance.

There's been a lot of 3rd party performance software to hack your vehicle one way or another BUT may void your warranty or brick your ride!

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
The device sort of reminds me of the thing you plug in under your dash when you are buying car insurance. Lets you and the insurance company know how you drive. Jackrabbit starts, etc.
Someday soon the Guvmint will require those of everybody although I suppose they can get that info from our phones anyway. But meanwhile I refuse to cooperate because 85 in a 30 is about the only rush I can still achieve.

Informal

Tele-Afflicted
My old man used to drive like a 90 year old woman, in an effort to eek out every last MPG he could... More than a couple times, I would open up the door, and foot race him to the next light, just to mock him.

That ended one day, when I misjudged his speed, and woke up in a hospital.

I wish I could say I was kidding. :lol: