Supro Royal Reverb VS Fender Vibrolux 68 Custom

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SonicDiveBomb, Jan 19, 2020.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

I tried a Supro Black Magick today, I believe it was 25 watts. I was blown away, I thought it was nice and warm but still well defined. I loved that.

I put an order in for a fender vibrolux, as I loved that too. But now I’m thinking..

I sold my twin because it was much too heavy and way more power than I’ll ever use. I play a mix between heavy and very clean, and I have no problem competing with a drummer with my 85watt solid state “Fender 85”. So I guess I’m looking for some input. I do love Fender amps, I loved how the twin sounded. Anyone have any opinions on the Supro?
    Both 2x10 and tube

2. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I saw a demo recently on Utube but I thought the Black Magick was a single 12" speaker? Everything I've heard about the new Supros has been positive. I've used Fender combo amps for over 50 years but if I were gonna rock I'd probably give the Supro a shot if it were my decision.

3. SonicDiveBomb

Yeah sorry I wasn’t clear in my post. I loved the BlackMagick but was looking at getting a royal reverb, which is their 2x10. Although, the more I read about it the more those thoughts are escaping my mind.

apparently they sound flubby with gain and a few people have had some serious quality control issues. They also apparently removed one of the wattage changes (I forget what they were but I think the highest was 60. They removed the middle wattage) to save money. Not really a rabbit hole I want to jump down

4. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like both amps, and I’ve not heard of quality issues with a Supro. On the contrary, good quality reviews. I owned a Supro Dual Tone and loved the amp and would buy another. My amp was not flubby at all. The only thing I would change on the Supro would be the board mounted tube sockets.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    SonicDiveBomb and bftfender like this.
  5. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

This seems something like a tweed vs blackface question, Supro having a similar vibe as a tweed era circuit and the vibrolux being similar to a blackface circuit...both with a few variants. If I leaned towards breakup, I’d go Supro. If pristine cleans were my thing, maybe the vibrolux.

6. SonicDiveBomb

No kidding? Good to hear. I’ll go try one out then!

7. SonicDiveBomb

Interesting! I definitely prefer a clean amp. I let my pedals do all the dirt. Thanks for the deduction!

8. Stax1

Stax1 TDPRI Member

Mark has hit the nail on the head here IMO. I used to own the Supro Supreme. They sound great for starters, and they're quite lush and clean until about half way up the volume dial where they get gnarly dirty. I also found the Supro amps (I've played the Black magic also fwiw) to get brighter as you turn them up and they're quite thick in the bass end at lower volumes.
    As for speaker sizes, the 10" speakers seem to handle the bass notes better in my opinion, the 12" in the Black Magic was kinda flubby in the bass notes at a few settings.

End of the day, they're good (amazing actually) as loud, dirty amps. The Fender's are more suited to be purely clean amps - though I do love the dirty sounds from cranked Fender amps as well - its just different.. You can't go wrong with either!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.