1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Supro (new ones) tone comparison?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ruger9, Dec 3, 2020.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Just wondering how the new Supros- let's say the "reissue series", sounds when compared to say, Fenders? What I mean is... is the Supro sound more like a blackface Fender, or a blonde/brown, or...?

I realize someone will say Supros "have their own sound", but with only YouTube to go on (and no Supro dealers around here), I'm just wondering where they sit tonally compared to something I already know?

I have a PRRI, and the Supro Tremoverb looks interesting.... just wondering if it has more mids, or less headroom, etc? I guess the 6973 power tubes are alot like 6V6s tonally?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've heard people say generally "lots of bottom"... like to the point of too much

3. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The old ones were super-dark to me. Curious about the new ones, too.

tubelectron likes this.
  4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I will be glad to comment on my ( coming soon!) Supro Blues King 10 as soon as it gets here.

I know this model is NOT a reissue of a classic Supro, but rather a newish, budget/import design.

Still it is tube power, spring Reverb ( not a tube circuit), and I can still compare with the sounds of my other amps

Edit: something different might be cool, we will see! ( hear)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Dismalhead likes this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you use the generic descriptions found on-line:
    • Dark tone
    • Mid forward
    • Lots of bottom end
    • Does not chime
    • Does not ring bright
    • "It's own voice"
    • Not a Vox, Marshall, or Fender sound
    Maybe like a dark sounding tweed? My best guess from what I've read (I have not played one)

mojek and StevesBoogie like this.
  6. ruger9

Found an awesome demo, but it doesn't tell me much, this guy makes everything sound great

ukepicker, Treynor and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

I've had the Supro Blues King 12 since Sunday and the above are all quite accurate. As a politician would say, I approve this message!

But, I do not have any experience with any other Supro amp, including the OP inquiry of the Tremoverb.

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They have several different ones.

Regardless, most have have more mids than a typical BF/SF circuit.

Some have a decent amount of sparkle.

Some have so much bottom they are useless to me with only a single "Tone" knob or with a "Bass" knob it has to be all the way off.

But the only thing I've heard that carries over across the models is more mids than a BF/SF. But different mids than a Tweed, if that makes sense? Maybe a wider range of mids in the Supro and more focused swath of mids in Tweeds, to generalize.

Axis29 and ruger9 like this.
  9. ruger9

The Reverb demo doesn't sound too far off from my PRRI, but yes it does sound like it has less sparkle/more mids... but still pretty smooth... maybe in the "brownface" category?

FWIW, MY PRRI has a 12" Alnico Cream...

Treynor likes this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think you have to play some. The EQ and the way the break up is just distinct from any Fender era, IMO/IME.

11. ruger9

Yeah, that's the problem... there are none around here.... :(

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Tad more punchy and grit.
    ala Keith Richards and his Oahu/valco

StevesBoogie, Jakedog and Dismalhead like this.
  13. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve been playing with my Blues King 12 since Saturday. It definitely does not sound like any Black or Silver Fender. Which in my world, is a very good thing.

It is mid forward. Some people would call it dark, I say it doesn’t have an annoying treble presence. No, it doesn’t “sparkle”.

I wouldn’t call it bottom heavy. It has good bass, especially for a small cab and 15 watts. Kind of like a tweed, if you crank the bass too much it gets stupid and splatty. But some people like that, apparently.

The controls have a good sweep. That said, I find I like them the best in the vicinity of straight up and down. At louder volumes, I find they do their best work at 10-2 o’clock. At living room/quiet TV volume I like them best dimed if I want natural drive, I dial to taste if I want cleans.

I’m a big fan of both Crow(e)s bands. Counting, and Black. This little amp will do most of the tones I love from both. It gets the saturated and fuzzy/furry Dan Vickery tones from the Satellites and Underwater Sunshine albums pretty well. And does great Black Crowes tones, too.

It’s honky, but not in a bad or boxy way. It’s got honk and clang in an old Valco/Supro way.

It does not have a lot of headroom. I don’t know how it compares to the model you’re looking at, but this is not an amp you want if you want crispy cleans at gigging volumes with a band.

My advice would be that if you really like and want Fender sounds, don’t buy this. You won’t like it.

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I just picked up a brand new Supro 1606 Super a few months ago. Punchy and gritty are great descriptors. Not really Fendery, if that's what OP is looking for. They tried to match the sounds of the new amps with old ones that were used on recordings. One is supposed to sound like the one Jimmy Page used on Led Zeppelin I, my model was based on a vintage 1606 owned by Joe Perry. It's a great sounding amp, and I watched a side-by-side comparison video and it did sound a lot like the vintage model it was based on. When I push it to me it sounds very AC/DCish. Oh, and IMO it's not dark sounding at all; it just doesn't have that piercing high-end brightness that some other amps have. Super loud too - loudest 5-watt amp I've ever heard. Your ears will be ringing before you get it loud enough to break up without an attenuator. I've got some other cool amps and I like this one so much it's pretty much all I've played since I got it.

[​IMG]

uriah1 and tubelectron like this.
  15. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I tested two SATURN 1648RT and one JUPITER 1668RT and yes, I can confirm that they are dark too.

Yes. That's also what I would say about the 3 big Supro RI amp I tested.

So I decided that those Supro amps were not for me :(:(:(... Until my local shop entered a mint, barely used "buying mistake" 2nd hand Supro 1605R Reverb 1964 Series. "Come on !" said on the phone my pal the shopkeeper, "I have a Supro that will please you..." o_Oo_Oo_O

He was right. I came with my Supro Westbury LH RI guitar, field-tested it, and taking the well-described points of @unixfish, I'll comment them - for the Supro 1605R only :

• Dark tone = not this time, conversely to the Saturn and Jupiter, but not as bright as a Fender Princeton RI, OK ? You have a convenient sound with tone pots at noon, while on the Saturn and Jupiter, I nearly had to cut bass and max treble.

• Mid forward = yes, true, but I'd say in the good "just cut through the mix" way, due to the small size, and you can add or substract treble and bass significantly to manage the tone.

• Lots of bottom end = not this time, because of the little size again. I mean : you don't have that permanent bassy tone of the bigger Saturn and Jupiter ones that you can't totally get rid. The tone controls do their job as expected.

• Does not chime = again, conversely to its bigger brother, the 1605R chimes easily, even tone at noon. On the big ones, I fighted with the controls to obtain an acceptable tone. Here, I couldn't obtain a really lousy tone no matter the settings, except deliberately. Playing with the Gain and the Master, you have an array of sweet tone going from clean, subtle, sweet, to solid, dense but unagressive vintage crunch.

• Does not ring bright = If you mean "Crystal Clear", yes, it's not. But there's enough brightness for vintage Soul, Rhythm'n'Blues, Blues, Rock'n'Roll...

• "It's own voice" = yes, I think so, but I'm not an expert. How can I say ? That "little subtle sweet dirtyness" so many of us are after, maybe ?

• Not a Vox, Marshall, or Fender sound = for sure, definetly not a Fender sound in the BF or SF sense of the term.
    This amp is now at home :cool: :

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

StevesBoogie, Dismalhead and Jakedog like this.
  16. ruger9

I wouldn’t be looking for a Fender sound out of the Supro, I have a Fender for that already. Looking for more of an old school vibe, middy and gritty sounds interesting to me. I wouldn’t be using it for OD, more for a fat clean old school tone, or a gritty blues old school tone. This video is what got me interested in it... IDK what model he’s playing, but I was looking at the Tremoverb because I like reverb and tremolo...

Jakedog and Piotr like this.
  17. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

I have a stereo rig, Princeton Reverb Reissue (Sweetwater edition, 12" Cannabis Rex speaker) and a Supro Saturn Reverb Reissue. They are very complimentary and sound beautiful together. They are different but neither is "better."

[​IMG]

Dismalhead, Chud, ruger9 and 2 others like this.
  18. ruger9

Holy moly guys... well, I've heard enough... I found a used one locally to go and play today.... cash in hand

Dismalhead, uriah1, Jakedog and 2 others like this.
  19. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I had one, a Blues King and then I bought the Fender 64' Custom Hand Wired PR and A/B'd them. The Supro went to Kijiji. Shrill compared to the PR, small sounding. I think it would make a great harmonica amp. I sold it to a recording producer. He knew exactly what he was going to use it for. On its own, it sounds great. Just don't A/B it next to a Fender 64' PR.

20. ruger9

Then demos of the Blues King sound, to me, generally awful. No wonder MF has had them as the Deal Of The Day blowing them out, TWICE in the last week.

The Tremoverb seems to be more like a fatter, slightly dirtier, more old-school sounding (more mids, less highs) Princeton Reverb. Which I would love. I love my PRRI for the sparkly clean stuff, and I did have a couple of OD pedals that work well with it, but I want a more midrange-focused amp, which is why I have also lusted after the Swart AST for years... but this little Supro might just fit the bill, at least for awhile.... I'm a big fan of old school blues (like T-bone Walker) as well as old swing type stuff (Charlie Christian), and really like the amp tones that were happening BEFORE Leo developed the mid-scooped blackface thing.

I'm glad I can go play one, instead of ordering one sight unplayed. But those demos I posted by Paul Stafford Cook sure make it sound like an awesome little amp, that sounds bigger than it's size. (as does my PRRI- since it's got a 12" Alnico Cream in it).

Jared Purdy and StevesBoogie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.