1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

supro lap steel

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by vinylbritt, Jul 10, 2016.

1. vinylbritt

vinylbritt TDPRI Member

found at a yard sale for $14. it has a screw on type connection where you would run a cord to an amp. I took it to a couple of repair guys who had never seen this. it has a serial # X73451

Attached Files:

syrynx likes this.
  2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine has virtually the same lap steel without the odd output. It sounds fantastic and he paid a lot more for it. Real nice overdriven blues tone. Good score!

3. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Man, I would love to find a yard sale lap steel, especially a Supro. Congrats!

4. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I also have a Supro lapsteel that I paid $75 for from a private party. Mine's an eight string model from 1962 with three legs so you can play standing up or sitting down. It sounds great. I have an E9 tuning on it with which I can retune two of the E strings to Eb and have a B6th tuning which is the same voicing(s) as a C6th but one fret lower.... Good luck with your Supro, they're hidden treasures for sure....JH in Va.

syrynx likes this.
  5. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations! Lap steels are very cool.

I have 3 (I think) Supro lap steels, including one identical to yours. Great find for such little money! The pickups on them are wonderful.

Supro was a Valco brand name. The serial on yours indicates it was made in 1957. (Mine is a 1961). http://www.oldfrets.com/Valco/Dating.html

I did a couple of posts on my blog about cleaning mine up: http://crawlsbackward.blogspot.com/2014/06/1961-supro-lap-steel-cleanup-and-minor.html

I have mine tuned to C6 currently, although it may be headed to E9 like JH's.

The output jack you have is fairly common for old Valco instruments, as well as a lot of old PA and radio gear. It's an Amphenol 75-MC1F I believe. You can find the mating plug, 75-MC1M, on ebay. Easy to wire an adaptor to a 1/4 inch plug. You will also find folks selling ready made cables too.

You can also convert it to a 'modern' standard 1/4 jack - that's pretty easy to do also. I tend not to do that, just because I like to keep them original, but it's not like they're super rare or valuable where a conversion would detract from the value.

syrynx likes this.
  6. vinylbritt

vinylbritt TDPRI Member

wow, thanks fellas, just what I was looking for. I went on ebay and could only find one vintage cable (up for bids starting at $39) if you know where I can get a "ready made" repop cable, please direct me there.

7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool find, and you can't beat that price with a stick. Often times these yard sale sellers think that lap steels are toy guitars. My one buddy picked up a 1950s Rickenbacker lap steel at a yard sale for 15 bucks. He tried to tell the guy it was worth more. Turns out it is worth 450.00-500.00.

Yours is a 1957 model according to your serial number, which I found here:
    http://www.guitarhq.com/national.html

To avoid confusion, keep in mind that Supros were manufactured by National. Yours is worth about 350.00.

Do you know how to play lap steel?

8. vinylbritt

vinylbritt TDPRI Member

I can play about anything that has strings on it, but I can't play this one cause I can't find a cord to hook it up to an amp

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I would convert it to a 1/4" jack. It won't hurt the value. I did it with my Supro. Mine is a Mother Of Toilet Seat like this>
    image.jpeg

10. Colors

Colors Tele-Holic

What a score congrats! I love the pick ups in those things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.