Supro Delta King 12 on sale

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
I wonder if GC would take my Champion 600 in trade on one of these for that price...I need a 15 watt amp like I need a hole in the head, but I'd get more use out if it. Always wanted to get back the tone I had from my little Valco-made Montgomery Wards amp that I had for a while before I blew it up.

drmordo

Tele-Afflicted
I cannot get the MF website to show me anything besides 12 string acoustic guitars. Any link I click takes me back to 12 strings. Weird.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
When I stumbled onto this deal and decided to post it here I thought well , maybe I should listen to some sound clips of this thing.

Yeah, I’m a snob who has owned a half dozen or so original Valco-made amps (Supro, National, Airline, Oahu) but - modern or orig - good sound/tone/clean/dirty is all I care about.

All that being said - do these Supro Delta 12’s sound good in the real world/sitting across from you in a room ?

Because I’ll be damned if I can find one single demo where any of it sounds good to me ! :lol:

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
All that being said - do these Supro Delta 12’s sound good in the real world/sitting across from you in a room ?

To be honest, I am not enamored enough with my BK10 (as good as it might be) to pursue my previously mentioned trade up. I really like my Quilter better.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
When I stumbled onto this deal and decided to post it here I thought well , maybe I should listen to some sound clips of this thing.

Yeah, I’m a snob who has owned a half dozen or so original Valco-made amps (Supro, National, Airline, Oahu) but - modern or orig - good sound/tone/clean/dirty is all I care about.

Because I’ll be damned if I can find one single demo where any of it sounds good to me ! :lol:

Just my opinion ( and I have posted this before)
As a previous owner of a Supro BK 10 ( which I admit is not a 6L6, and 12", BK12) from Nov. last year until March 2021 ( when I sold it, for more than what I paid, yay!)

This amp is beautiful and well-built, but falls short of its 'on paper' features:

- the Reverb ( Spring but not tube powered, but neither are my other amps) sounded weak at low settings and weird just a long tail, when turned up. Not useable

- tonally blah, just not a lot of zing or life w/o engaging Boost

- the distortion/ Gain Boost, just not something I would use - other folks dig it

- a tube swap ( for me a Mullard 6V6 and Tung-Sol 12AX7) made no difference

I really wanted to like this amp, but just did not.

My silly toy SS Frontman and Pathfinder ( used on gigs) sound much better to me- Good clean tone that I can work with.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
As a previous owner of a Supro BK 10 ( which I admit is not a 6L6, and 12", BK12) from Nov. last year until March 2021 ( when I sold it, for more than what I paid, yay!)

This amp is beautiful and well-built, but falls short of its 'on paper' features:

- the Reverb ( Spring but not tube powered, but neither are my other amps) sounded weak at low settings and weird just a long tail, when turned up. Not useable

- the distortion/ Gain Boost, just not something I would use - other folks dig it

My silly toy SS Frontman and Pathfinder ( used on gigs) sound much better to me- Good clean tone that I can work with.
That's good feedback. Tubes don't have magic powers. Thanks for snapping me out of it. The swap I oughta be trying to make for my Champion 600 is a loud Fender solid state from the 80's/early 90's.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I really like my BK12. Partly because it doesn't sound like a Fender. To me, it's as good as any 15 watt Fender I ever heard, just different. It's not very Marshally either.

If you're used to Fender sounds and have that in your head as what's "good," you might not like the Supro.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That's good feedback. Tubes don't have magic powers. Thanks for snapping me out of it. The swap I oughta be trying to make for my Champion 600 is a loud Fender solid state from the 80's/early 90's.

I don't know what I was expecting from the Supro.
I may have held onto it, had I not owned the amps I have.
If that makes sense

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm still trying to catch up with the prices on amps like the AC10 at $650, and the BK is no less seemingly over priced to me.
But the last 1 1/2 - 2 years, people have been spending like mad, cleaning out all the used stock everywhere.
Some of us got extra income due to stuff, and can afford to spend extra compared to 2019 gear prices.
Some of us only experienced the difficulties and didn't get any extra $$ so we might see the raised prices of today as a time to wait out, or a time to sell gear.
I do see a good number of used BK12s for $400 or less though.

zeke54

Tele-Afflicted

Wow Chio , I thought you were really pumped up about your BK 10 when you first got it ! I have the BK 12 and I also was not overly impressed with the overall sound so I put in better tubes and changed the 12AX7 to a 12AY7 to change the grittiness in the tone , but also put in an Eminence speaker . It is not my favorite amp , but now with a good OD pedal I can coax some great tones out of it . The BK 8 , 10, and 12 all use different power tubes and I would think due to that their tone will differ . I bought mine used pretty cheap , so I use it mostly as a backup or for jams . Cheers ! :)