1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Supro Blues King Owners Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by ReverendRevolver, Jul 30, 2019.

1. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

A Marshall Reverb 12 that I gave my brother and my Marshall Lead 12.

D2617591-EE6A-44FC-BF5E-4B602F758E41.jpeg
    77CF17B0-0F12-46B7-A8E4-72B91E69D048.jpeg

Chiogtr4x and Treynor like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Treynor and gridlock like this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Are those tube or SS?
    ( it doesn't matter, just curious. Two of my gig amps are SS)

Treynor likes this.
  4. gridlock

Both 12 watt SS amps. These amps have kind of have a cult following but still be found for $100.

The Reverb-12 has real spring Reverb (very small pan) and I add a 10” Greenback to my Lead-12. They are suppose to emulate 1980’s Marshall JCM800 sounds. Not too bad for a small practice amp and very good for what it is.

Funny, the Supro Blues King 12 (12” speaker, big transformers, and tubes) is nearly the same size as the Lead-12 (SS and 10” speaker).

Good things can come in small packages.

5. gridlock

I more impressed with my BK-12 every day.

Working on KWS Blue on Black today at relatively low volume and I can get very close to his tone with my Strat straight into the BK-12 with no pedals.

AE26FAEC-C7C7-462F-BC1D-2051895A0174.jpeg

6. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

Your BK 12 is in some really good company with those Fenders :)

emisilly and gridlock like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Great amps you have there!
    Maybe someday the Supro BK's will be the vintage amps in the future.

- I think they are a really smart design-

tube amps, yes, but as many folks use OD's or boosts anyway, they went ahead and just put them in, and they compliment the amps. ( at least I like them)
    If you have the footswitch, you're set!

Treynor likes this.
  8. gridlock

Thanks, there are also two pretty cool Marshall’s in the room and out of the picture.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

@gridlock , I’ve found if I use the “drive” in the amp, the higher I turn up the volume, the fizzier it gets. For me, the trick to warming it up is running the master high and the volume lower. The volume seems to act as both a volume control, and a gain for that “drive” switch. It starts turning into pretty much a crappy sounding fuzz if the volume is too high.

For anyone wondering, my ballpark settings (I never attempt to play quietly so it may not help anybody trying to use this as a low volume practice amp) are usually-

Volume 10-11 o’clock- Boost ON- Gain OFF- bass 10 o’clock- mid 10 o’clock- treble 12 o’clock- reverb 9 o’clock- Master 3-4 o’clock.

Into the front end- Comp, Clean Boost, Phase 95.

I use the amp’s footswitch to turn the “Drive” on and off, or sometimes add an SD1 or TS9 between the comp and clean boost.

With no pedals engaged, the setting as I’ve listed them here yields a SUPER touch sensitive tone. I can go from very quiet and squeaky clean, to pretty dang crunchy, just using my right hand. It’s so sensitive I don’t even have to use the volume control on the guitar to get a pretty wide array of clean-dirty tones.

Pretty much the only electric guitar I play these days is a 2019 Les Paul Classic, totally stock with the BB61 pickups.

I love this amp. I didn’t think I’d ever love a 6L6 amp. This one is fabulous. I’m seriously considering grabbing a second one later this year, so for gigs where this one isn’t enough on its own, I can run a pair.

10. Chiogtr4x

I don't care if there were NOTHING inside these amps, empty! These are beautiful!

Treynor and gridlock like this.
  11. gridlock

I’m going to try your settings tonight. Thanks for the information.

Jakedog and Treynor like this.
  12. BadTranslate

BadTranslate Tele-Meister

The Blues King 10 won an award for best amp of 2020!

Jakedog, Chiogtr4x and Treynor like this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Cool that Supro BK 10 (my amp!) gets ' 2020 Amp of the Year,' from some org.

I know nothing about the guys in the video, but they sounded much more like ad/sales guys that actually ever touch guitars and amps ( except to display)

Sorry if I got that wrong, I'm cynical anymore

gridlock likes this.
  14. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

So was it worth it to put in the Greenback ? Does it sound cleaner than the stock speaker ?

15. gridlock

Truthfully, I never gave the stock speaker a honest chance. I changed the stock speaker out, with a recently acquired Greenback, about an hour after I brought the new Supro BK12 home.

I do recall hearing slightly more headroom, but I do wish that I gave the stock speaker more time, for a better comparison.

Jakedog, zeke54 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  16. Chiogtr4x

I didn't do the work myself ( no way!) but there are 2 or 3 guitars ( now gone), where I automatically had the pickups replaced almost immediately after buying
    - as I would read " Put these___ in, they are the best!" Wish I could have a re-do!

Now I'm trying to be more patient, listen.

* complete hypocrisy to above statement:

- I did change BK 10 tubes almost right away!
    ( I just always read Ruby tubes were cheap, but then you find out they come from China/Russia/Czech, just like all of them, and 'Ruby' is just branding)

17. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks gridlock , I'm trying to get a little more headroom out of my amp . I did swap out the 12AX7 for a 12AU7 , it made a tiny bit of difference . I'm not sure what speaker may give me what I want , but I don't want to go down the speaker rabbit hole searching for the "perfect" speaker !

Chiogtr4x and gridlock like this.
  18. gridlock

I wish that I had a Alessandro G10-SC64 stashed away, I think that would be the perfect speaker for the little Supro.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  19. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

If you re-try it, you gotta break it in. I wasn’t a fan when I got the amp. I thought for sure I’d replace the speaker. But the more I played it, the better it sounded. Now I love it. It doesn’t break up any more or earlier than it did when I got it, but it does seem to have lost the harshness I was hearing when I first got it. It wasn’t bright or shrill, it was just kind of hard sounding. Like the notes had corners on them or something. That’s gone now.

Chiogtr4x and gridlock like this.
  20. gridlock

I would like to try the Supro speaker again. Since my amp was a floor model, I assumed that the speaker was already broken-in.

Plus, I had a nice Greenback sitting unused in the closet. I also have a Celestion C90, a EVM12L, and the Supro speaker all boxed up in the closet.

Since the the amp is a really a pain to remove the speaker, maybe I’ll test all three speakers in a 1x12 cab that is also in the closet.

I really do think that an Alessandro GA-SC64 would be a perfect match for this amp.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.