Supro Blues/Delta King 8 questions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by SbS, May 28, 2021.

1. SbS

SbS Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hello.

Playing bedroom levels here and using pedalboard with headphone amp. If this period in human history goes away, I may have a possibilty to play with friends and real amps too, in different location though. But home setup and conditions stay as they are.

I try to go mostly analogue. Recently have been missing even more natural response, all kinds of harmonics and you know, like really moving some air too. I'm not too advanced player, styles go from blues, punk, to grungey rock stuff etc. Noodling, rehearsing and recording for fun.

So, 1W tube amp could be a nice choice at home. But how do people with experience see it? With pedalboard (fuzz, OD, modulation, delay, reverb)? I have an EQ pedal too.. some are saying King 8 is darker sounding. And yeah, Teles with humbuckers / noiseless pickups.

Also, any alternatives appreciated.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  2. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

I just got the Delta King 10. Really nice

Mike M, SbS and Mission6_OG like this.
  3. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Holic

I play a 1w Marshall DSL1 head at home and think its great, from what you say you like to play i think you will too. If i play it through my 2x12" cab i can easily jam with others, naturally 1w don't give much clean headroom, its always got a hint of breakup but its a very nice sound imo, good useable reverb too, check one out.

DLReed and SbS like this.
  4. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

I have a Vox mini superbettle that I really like. It has 3 settings 50w, 25w, and 12w. It’s a little less expensive than the delta king 8 and also just looks really cool if anything else. I’m a lot like you. Just starting out and just able to start playing actual music and recording stuff. It does good at low columns but also if I ever get to the point of where I may gig somewhere, it’s loud enough for a small venue. Definitely worth checking out. C87F5DE1-5381-41C0-BD46-C27AE95C3A9F.jpeg

SbS likes this.
  5. SbS

Thanks, real nice suggestions. Need to check those too.

I may have a possibility to try Blues King 8, looks like there are some in stock near me.

On the other hand, might use some headroom with pedals. On the other hand, 1W gives possibility to achieve natural breakup with low volumes. Tough decisons.

If I'm able to try it, must check with humbuckers and some pedals too.

stormsedge likes this.
  6. El Serio

El Serio Tele-Meister

I have one, but haven't used it with pedals. It is definitely darker than my vox pathfinder. I have played it a bit with a humbucker and I thought it was suited to them. I like the build quality and the small and light size. Since you have the opportunity to try it, you can make an informed decision before buying. Good luck!

SbS likes this.
  7. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

If you are only interested in playing at home, one watt will probably be plenty, even for some pedals.
    Playing with a drummer will probably require ten or more watts, depending on the amp and the drummer.
    Five watts is pretty loud in the living room but won't keep up with a group very well.
    Just my humble experience.

graybeard65 and SbS like this.
  8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't buy the 8. I have the BK12, and while I see some appeal in the 10, the 8 is just too small.

I can use the 12 without rattling glass, or I can make it move furniture, and I can get useful sounds both ways. I'm a fan of gritty blues tones and have been in punk and grunge bands, and used bigger Fender amps in each.
    The Supro likes its dirt pedals into the front, not the loop, modulation seems fine either way. In a pinch, it could have been used for playing in either of those bands, but probably better for bluesy punk than handling fuzz and chorus with grunge (and that band had a less volume controlling drummer too....)

If you can be loud enough to push the 8, I'd recommend trying the other 2 before purchasing. It wont do any good playing out if compared to the bigger ones.

gridlock, SbS and Esquire Jones like this.
  9. SbS

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

We kind of have some old amps laying around at friend's place. But it's been more than a decade since we played something together. He's got things sorted, for me might be like a Peavey Deuce available if needed.

But yeah, kind of struggling.. do I try to find one only for home purposes? And rely with other gear for (possible) band playing. Or should I try to solve two issues with a single amp? It's a flat we're living in so need to consider neighbours too.

My original idea was to not have a home amp at all (other than Palmer Pocket Amp) but.. life :D

10. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Afflicted

What this yoda dude says!

Played a Delta King 10 yesterday in the store, one very versatile amp.

SbS likes this.
  11. TN Tele

TN Tele Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I also have a new 5w Delta King 10, love it, and it has reverb. Guitar center was running a sale on it for $449 with a white enclosure and although it it is not my favorite color of the series it was $100 cheaper than the black or vintage colors offered.

SbS likes this.
  12. Chandlerman

Chandlerman Tele-Meister

Small vintage Valco amps like this are perfect for home playing.

[​IMG]

JP58 and SbS like this.
  13. SbS

Nice.

I wasn't able to test any yet, maybe next week. Still struggling with the idea, like all around concept or very low wattage only for home use.

14. SbS

Ok, this escalated rather quickly.

I kept pondering about small bedroom tube amps, but didn't get time to go and test some. Orange's Bedroom/Headroom concept sounded also interesting. But kind of decided, going to check the situation later, after summer.

Then yesterday evening, when casually checking things on the webz, boom!

Orange Tremlord 30 demo piece, less than 800€!?
    • No, no! Not for me!
    • Too big!
    • But there is 30/15/2/1W.
    • More money than I was planning!?
    • Only clean channel!?
    • Well, I have pedals for that
    • Valve tremolo and spring reverb..
    • Damn you!!#@€¥%
    • I have no car before monday!
    • Can't test it
    • It'll be gone by then..
    Needless to say, I lost the internal battle. It's coming. Wow, let's see. I dunno.

It's coming soon, NAD!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    stormsedge, Chud and StevesBoogie like this.
  15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks for the very familiar trip down GAS Lane. :lol::lol:

stormsedge and SbS like this.
  16. SbS

You're welcome! :D

It may have only a clean channel, but I feel already dirty :lol::p

17. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Afflicted

I'd have bought one of these already, except I also have one of the Harmony 8418 octal amp reissues. Right now, it's scratching my low-watt vintage-tone itch just fine.

Besides which, I promised myself I wouldn't buy another amp until I sell off some of the hardware that's currently just gathering dust in the music room. :(

18. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire

Whew! Glad this has only happened to me one or two dozen times;).

SbS likes this.
  19. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I have a Blues King 8 and a Wangs VT-5HW, so I have the one and five-watt amp itch scratched at this point. The Supro is a bit dark - to me it sounds best with single coils and P90s (yeah, I know they're also single coils - but they are different.) Haven't been too hot on how the SG sounds through it, but the strat or tele - yeah! I don't really use pedals, so can't help you there.

SbS likes this.
  20. SbS

That's good thing to do. I try to do the same. Getting things out of hand is not a good thing for anyone. I didn't have any real amp, so this clicked too many boxes.

New TremLords are like 1200+ € here. So initially it was kind of out of my scope. Then again Supro Blues/Delta Kings 8-12 ~400-650€. Orange Rocker 15C.. ~780€, the same I paid for this.

So had to stretch the 'max' budget little bit.. but then again versatility. Two in one? Minus the weight. They're totally different animals though, that I do understand.

Hope it works. Hope my grit pedals work with this clean platform. Hope it's worth a risk. Used markets are at the same level I got this one..

Just trying to rationalize.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    The Angle likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.